By Way of Introduction

boojum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For full sized exports of these images follow this link to Cottage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandynoyes/albums/72157716716382662

and this link to Avenue:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandynoyes/albums/72157716739415061

If I have any regrets about Leicas it is that I waited so long to buy.  The images are a clear case of the Leica being able to produce a very fine image with Leica hardware and software/firmware.  The eight photos in the links are "out of the box" and have not been manipulated in any way other than the conversion from DNG to JPG and in all cases the stripping of EXIF data in the JPG final files.  There is a subtle richness to the Leica image, even without a Leica lens.  Just as Margo Lane was Lamont Cranston's constant companion I believe that one or both of these cameras will be my constant companion.  I can't take a picture with them when they are at home can I?

Edited by boojum
further thoughts

1 hour ago, boojum said:

For full sized exports of these images follow this link to Cottage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandynoyes/albums/72157716716382662

and this link to Avenue:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandynoyes/albums/72157716739415061

If I have any regrets about Leicas it is that I waited so long to buy.  The images are a clear case of the Leica being able to produce a very fine image with Leica hardware and software/firmware.  The eight photos in the links are "out of the box" and have not been manipulated in any way other than the conversion from DNG to JPG and in all cases the stripping of EXIF data in the JPG final files.  There is a subtle richness to the Leica image, even without a Leica lens.  Just as Margo Lane was Lamont Cranston's constant companion I believe that one or both of these cameras will be my constant companion.  I can't take a picture with them when they are at home can I?

Thanks. I'll have a go at the cottage (based on the links)

1. Cottage02-B 50564433351_e83b976845_o.jpg - My favourite (Leica?)

Rationale: 

-Details look great

-Photo looks "flat" i.e. ready for some slight post processing (good dynamic range)

-Colours look good (best out of the 4)

-Biased on the composition (best out of the 4)

2.Cottage04-B50564572077_6c0cc0b734_o.jpg - (Reminds me of my early generation Sony)

Rationale (why wasn't it my pick)

-There is a cooler tint to the image (I have a stronger preference toward warmer pictures)

-Based on the composition (I didn't like the angle)

Rationale (the positives compared to pic "02-B")

-This image has better overall dynamic range (compare the garden on the lower left)

-This image has better corner performance look at how sharp the corners are

-More contrast / microcontrast 

-The colours really stand out 

3. Cottage01-B 50564433146_a1a61237e9_o.jpg - N/A

Note: Image appears to be slightly blurry (maybe the tripod was slightly knocked)  - look at the roof

4. Cottage03-B 50564433526_f5749dc696_o.jpg - Least favourite

Rationale:

-Looks fairly "low" in detail (compared to the other photos)

-The roof of the cottage has a fair amount of purple fringing ?

-Fair amount of artefacts / compression / noise

There are times in Flickr that the first image displayed will not be in focus.  Just hit the reload symbol next to the home symbol at the top of the page.  I noted this recently and do not know if it has always been this way or is a recent occurrence.  My viewing just now shows the roof shingle as fine.

1 hour ago, boojum said:

There are times in Flickr that the first image displayed will not be in focus.  Just hit the reload symbol next to the home symbol at the top of the page.  I noted this recently and do not know if it has always been this way or is a recent occurrence.  My viewing just now shows the roof shingle as fine.

@boojum maybe it's the lens or focus was slightly different -  here is what I am referring to.

LHS is the image and RHS is used as the control.

Yes I download the image directly from Flickr.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Each camera had its own lens so the lens on the camera is the same in each case.  It looks like my focus was off on 01-B.  I will have to do some testing on this.  Good catch.

As it now stands, how do you rank the photos from best to worst? 

Edited by boojum

4 hours ago, Raymondl said:

Thanks. I'll have a go at the cottage (based on the links)

1. Cottage02-B 50564433351_e83b976845_o.jpg - My favourite (Leica?)

Rationale: 

-Details look great

-Photo looks "flat" i.e. ready for some slight post processing (good dynamic range)

-Colours look good (best out of the 4)

-Biased on the composition (best out of the 4)

2.Cottage04-B50564572077_6c0cc0b734_o.jpg - (Reminds me of my early generation Sony)

Rationale (why wasn't it my pick)

-There is a cooler tint to the image (I have a stronger preference toward warmer pictures)

-Based on the composition (I didn't like the angle)

Rationale (the positives compared to pic "02-B")

-This image has better overall dynamic range (compare the garden on the lower left)

-This image has better corner performance look at how sharp the corners are

-More contrast / microcontrast 

-The colours really stand out 

3. Cottage01-B 50564433146_a1a61237e9_o.jpg - N/A

Note: Image appears to be slightly blurry (maybe the tripod was slightly knocked)  - look at the roof

4. Cottage03-B 50564433526_f5749dc696_o.jpg - Least favourite

Rationale:

-Looks fairly "low" in detail (compared to the other photos)

-The roof of the cottage has a fair amount of purple fringing ?

-Fair amount of artefacts / compression / noise

I'll go through my results based on the higher res files for Avenue photos - my order of preference

1.Avenue01-B - My favourite (Leica?)

Rationale

-Composition/Exposure/Colour/contrast looks on key 

2.Avenue02-B (Leica?)

Rationale:

-01-B & 02-B are very close, only reason I prefer 01-B > 02-B is due to the image "contrast" 

-This image 02-B looks flat 

3. Avenue04-B  - Probably the sharpest out of the set (here)

Rationale (cons)

-Color temp doesn't look right (reminds me of my Sony)

-Exposure looks abit too "hot" for my liking, maybe the metering was abit off here

Rationale (Pros)

-Looks very sharp, no idea what lens you used but it looks "technically" amazing

-Colors stands out.. really "pops"

4. Avenue03-B  - Least favourite

Rationale:

-Looks so low res / noise / color

@boojum my order / guess

1.My favourite : 02-B -> Leica body ?

2.Highest dynamic range + sharpness: 04-B -> Sony body?

3. Runner up: 01-B (Rated lower as 1st set-A got a N/A) -> Leica body?

4.Least favourite: 03-B -> Camera phone/Small sensor ?

To those interested the camera-lens combos are as follows:

01 - M8.2 with CV 35mm f/1.4 MC II

02 - M240 with Pentax 50mm f/1.4 SMC FA

03 - Pentax Q S-1 with Pentax 01 standard Prime 40.5mm f/1.9

04 - Sony A7M II with Zeiss 55mm f/1.8

To my way of seeing the M8.2 is the clear winner with the M240 second.  The sharpness of the Zeiss is wonderful but out-of-the-camera Sony color cannot match the Leica performance, CCD or CMOS.  The Leica color just has some subtle magic it to it.  The Pentax Q series punches well above its weight but just cannot keep up with this crowd.

Cheers