M240 or MP240 in 2020

kristyansen

Two reasons I hide the logo.

1. Leica's are expensive, better to not advertise it to the camera robbing world.

2. My generic looking Leica really looks like some amateur's rig. As street photog, the less intimating the better.

But having said all that, yes the Leica logo is a beauty, but see 1. and 2.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ernstk said:

Ahh. Seems a complete waste to hide it. It's one of the most attractive features of the camera (for me).

Ernst

Agreed. I wonder why so many people are ashamed of buying Leica cameras and cover logos and script with tape.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Leicas have a horribly low fencing value. Knowledgeable robbers go for other brands. A Nikon pays much better. 

Some folks will never get that. Somebody that has their heart set on stealing a camera knows exactly how to see it a block away, tape or no tape.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kivis said:

1. Leica's are expensive, better to not advertise it to the camera robbing world.

2. My generic looking Leica really looks like some amateur's rig. As street photog, the less intimating the better.

My strategy has been to not go to places where robbery is a good possibility in the first place. 

This strategy has been effective over my several decades of photographic endeavors; based on past results, I would recommend it.

Just a suggestion... 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kivis said:

Unless someone is standing over you (which presumably you'd be aware of) then they're not going to see the top plate 'Leica' script.

Also, I'm totally unconvinced by the argument that thieves set out to steal Leicas.

Ernst

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:23 AM, kivis said:

I'm going with the M-P, I figure the buffer is worth it. Getting it slightly used from Leica Miami for a very fair price.

Yes, I would also go for M-P, or the very limited M-E, for the increased 2GB buffer size. 

17 hours ago, jaapv said:

Leicas have a horribly low fencing value. Knowledgeable robbers go for other brands. A Nikon pays much better. 

I do not have any statistics, but I would like you guess that most common street robbers/thugs or drug addict thieves (not generally belonging to the most educated or sophisticated upper parts of society), brands like Sony, Panasonic, Nikon and Canon probably brings more brand attraction than strange old fashioned looking cameras. That said I guess high end newer mobile phones are generally preferred over cameras, as they are easy to flip and get some quick cash for.

The other types of more sophisticated thieves knowing or looking specifically for Leicas, will probably not be fooled or dettered by a simple piece of duct tape. 

(I guess the tape of Leica logos has more to do to with pleasing our selves, or to get some cred from other fellow Leica users taping up cameras.)

19 hours ago, martinot said:

I do not have any statistics, but I would like you guess that most common street robbers/thugs or drug addict thieves (not generally belonging to the most educated or sophisticated upper parts of society), brands like Sony, Panasonic, Nikon and Canon probably brings more brand attraction than strange old fashioned looking cameras. That said I guess high end newer mobile phones are generally preferred over cameras, as they are easy to flip and get some quick cash for.

The other types of more sophisticated thieves knowing or looking specifically for Leicas, will probably not be fooled or dettered by a simple piece of duct tape. 

(I guess the tape of Leica logos has more to do to with pleasing our selves, or to get some cred from other fellow Leica users taping up cameras.)

Those people in Finland always think my M9 + 50mm Summilux is some 70's film camera. This is one great treat of M.

• Haha 2

I think a lot of people miss the point on the logo taping.

I tape the logo because i am an introvert and the tape helps me to feel invisible with my small camera .

I see people with digital SLR cameras or worse still with what passes for medium format cameras these days and i think they look stupid carrying those monsters around.

Older film slr cameras like the olympus or later minolta models were great as were olympus Four thirds cameras but anything bigger makes no sense unless you really are a pro photographer in my opinion.

Just how it is for me and no need to worry if somebody tapes the logo,,so what??

The SL2-S has a almost invible Leica lettering on the top (but a red point). So why not tape it. No matter if you like it. There was a guy some years ago who paint his M9 pink and Leica had the colored leather for the M's. These are  not my problems. The main thing is; The camera must work and she had to make good pictures (whicg I can't :) )

11 hours ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

The SL2-S has a almost invible Leica lettering on the top (but a red point). So why not tape it. No matter if you like it. There was a guy some years ago who paint his M9 pink and Leica had the colored leather for the M's. These are  not my problems. The main thing is; The camera must work and she had to make good pictures (whicg I can't :) )

...and the camera can't make any picture without you 😉

• Haha 1