M240 or MP240 in 2020

kristyansen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

As a long time M9 user I consider acquiring a used M240 or MP240 for slightly increased color ISO capabilities at least for ISO3200, Live View. Which one of M240 or MP 240 would be more future proof in 2020? (Let’s not discuss moving to M10 for now). 

I care less about the sapphire glass but more interested if worth paying for the additional buffer, while I do not usually shoot in continuous mode. Also which one would be longer serviceable?

• Like 2

The MP240 is worth the extra price for the buffer. That's really the only functional difference between the two (and the lovely Leica script on top), they are otherwise identical. I used an M240 and an MP240 professionally. I ended up selling the M240 and purchased another MP240 for my second body. The buffer in the 240 was maddening for me, but I do hammer my cameras hard. That said, either camera is a great improvement over the M9 in terms of ease of use, battery life, ISO and dynamic range.

I use two M10 bodies for work now, but I kept one of the MP240 bodies as a spare.

• Like 2

vor 13 Stunden schrieb david strachan:

...and the electronic finder EVF-2..which allows a wide range of other brand lenses. 

The buffer is excellent...i only shoot in raw files. I don't think the lovely sapphire screen should be tossed off...it's good not to worry about screen protectors.

A very good camera.

EVF-2 works on both camera types. I think it's horrible because of the lag and low resolution. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had an MP and now have an M.  If the Red Dot/ Leica Script  deal isn't a thing for you (I guess it is for me, I really like the script and don't much care for the red dot, just not enough to spend the extra money), you don't shoot fast enough to fill the buffer (never done that, either because I can't think that fast or I'm just old, one or the other), and you don't find the frame line preview particularly useful (I usually forgot about it being there) I'd go for the one in the best condition for the best price.

Having said that, I can't imagine that you're going to be disappointed either way.

The M10 looks like a good deal to me because of the improved viewfinder and my failing eyes, but again not enough to actually pay for it.

The M10-R, now, is something that seems to continually catch my attention.  

I don't think future proofing applies, since they're essentially the same camera.

Edited by Good To Be Retired
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Good To Be Retired said:

The M10 looks like a good deal to me because of the improved viewfinder and my failing eyes, but again not enough to actually pay for it.

I'm very nearsighted and wear glasses, and I also use a diopter on all of my bodies. I know the M10 VF is slightly larger and better, but I can't really tell a difference in use between the M240 and M10 viewfinders. At least not enough to justify the viewfinder alone to upgrade to the M10. That said, overall I prefer the M10 for all of the combined improvements.

• Thanks 1

I bought and use M240 since early this year. The Leica lens and camera gives the pics a fantastic look, but beware of the old designs if your out for real sharp lenses.

There are two things I dislike: the camera is far too bulky (M10 is much thinner and far more handy) and the sensor is very bad in dark, so I always try to stay under ISO 1000. Otherway cropped images become very grainy, specially when post processed and highlighted in ISO). So for a daylight camera, this one is as good as the M10 but more bulky. I didn't liked this first, but became used to it.

In the low light situations, an M10 eats an M240 raw easily and without any fear. Better to have fast lenses with this camery, I only bought Summicrons. Elmarit, Summarit etc. are too slow to make good pics in darker places. So what you have to spend more on an M10 you can save on the slower lenses. You will have a more handy camera and better pics at low light. Leica was never good in this situations, I hope they make improvement. Nevertheless, this is a brilliant camera for slow motion manual photography. If you want action photography, better take an autofocus. They often have the sharper and faster lenses for the same price but without the special Leica look I love.

Here is a pic with max. ISO on the M240. Its grainy to a point where one can say its an art application effect tool processed picture but no real world pic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Horst66
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 1:49 PM, Horst66 said:

I bought and use M240 since early this year. The Leica lens and camera gives the pics a fantastic look, but beware of the old designs if your out for real sharp lenses.

There are two things I dislike: the camera is far too bulky (M10 is much thinner and far more handy) and the sensor is very bad in dark, so I always try to stay under ISO 1000. Otherway cropped images become very grainy, specially when post processed and highlighted in ISO). So for a daylight camera, this one is as good as the M10 but more bulky. I didn't liked this first, but became used to it.

In the low light situations, an M10 eats an M240 raw easily and without any fear. Better to have fast lenses with this camery, I only bought Summicrons. Elmarit, Summarit etc. are too slow to make good pics in darker places. So what you have to spend more on an M10 you can save on the slower lenses. You will have a more handy camera and better pics at low light. Leica was never good in this situations, I hope they make improvement. Nevertheless, this is a brilliant camera for slow motion manual photography. If you want action photography, better take an autofocus. They often have the sharper and faster lenses for the same price but without the special Leica look I love.

Yes, and the M10R is as big (or more) step up in ISO than M10.

Leica has never been on the fore front of digital technology, and will probably never be. It is a known fact one has to accept as Leica user.

You pay much for for Leica, and get much less (from a digital camera quality point).

What you do get with Leica is the fantastic lenses, and also the enjoyment of the zen like experience of manual focusing with a range finder (even if LV or EVF is handy in some cases). I do enjoy that part. 

With Leica you have to take the bad with the good. :)

That said I do think you get a fantastic range finder for the money with the M240. Is it a perfect digital camera? No, but that is not true for any Leica (compared to what you pay). Yes, it is a little lower ISO than M10 (which is lower in ISO than M10R).

But as you say, this only matters if you take pictures in the very dark, and hand hold.

Have to add that the Summarit are fantastic lenses. I hade the 50/2,4 before, and just today I tested my brand new 35/2,4 which I got on Monday. Great lenses!

Also got a new Zeiss 50/2, but did not have time to test it today.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:23 PM, tom.w.bn said:

EVF-2 works on both camera types. I think it's horrible because of the lag and low resolution. 

It is not the best resolution, or great in general (it is almost 10 years old), but I find that it works quite fine actually. Especially as it is more of a complement for me when needed, but not the main VF.

The lag is not due to the EVF-2, but due to the Leica cameras slow processors (the EVF has the exact same lag as the LV).

Here is some great tips how to make the most if it:

https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-M-Type-240-aka-Leica-M10-digital-rangefinder-camera-page-44-Focusing-the-Leica-M-with-Manual-Focus-EVF2-Visoflex-Electronic-Viewfinder.html

• Like 1

Thank you all. Despite my original expectations, I tend to like more the _low_ ISO results of the M240 compared to the M10. 

Now, for the high ISO, which is both needed and important, and where indeed the M10* would shine: what type of photography do you do and in what scenarios do you feel > 3200 is needed? (e.g. shooting street with small aperture later in the day or evenings; events; mood of bars, restaurants photos, family pictures at home; travel; reportage; etc.). Thanks!

I've used an M-P 240 since 2016.  Used an M9 before that and missed it's size compared to the M-P.  For me a Thumbs Up helped the M-P's ergonomics.  I avoid > 1600 ISO because of noise but Nik DFine is great if you have a keeper and don't need a heavy crop.  I've had two batteries since day one and when starting a day with a fully charged battery have never needed the extra battery to finish a 400-shot day.  

I've never shot a used M10 but from what I've read it gives you a couple of extra stops and if you can handle the extra $1,500 I'd go for the used M10.  An extra stop or two is becoming more and more important to me because it can mean the difference between 1/60 and 1/250 to avoid camera shake.   

vor 2 Stunden schrieb RayD28:

I've used an M-P 240 since 2016.  Used an M9 before that and missed it's size compared to the M-P.  For me a Thumbs Up helped the M-P's ergonomics.  I avoid > 1600 ISO because of noise but Nik DFine is great if you have a keeper and don't need a heavy crop.  I've had two batteries since day one and when starting a day with a fully charged battery have never needed the extra battery to finish a 400-shot day.  

I've never shot a used M10 but from what I've read it gives you a couple of extra stops and if you can handle the extra $1,500 I'd go for the used M10.  An extra stop or two is becoming more and more important to me because it can mean the difference between 1/60 and 1/250 to avoid camera shake.   

Thanks Ray what is your type of photography? What would be an example of noise at 3200 ISO that you think is extreme? It would help make a better idea. I really understand though the 1/250 vs 1/60 advantage. 

• 5 months later...