Worrisome Lumix S failure

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The sky is falling!

Seriously, my local retailer tells me that the S1 lineup didn't sell very well for simple reasons: it's a new system (for most people), and it's more expensive than the competition. The S5 fixes that, especially now that you can get lower-cost lenses.

I'm not sure why some people dis the GH5 so much. It's become the go-to system for serious video. Not great for vloggers (too big/heavy), but much better than the competition for image quality. Sony's still 8-bit in that price segment, and Canon/Nikon have serious limitations. Sure, the GH5 is not perfect for everybody, but it's been a huge success for Panasonic, and it is still unrivaled years after its release.

• Like 2

Very unrealistic to expect Panasonic's FF mirrorless sales to get anywhere near those of Nikon and Canon ... who have far more potential customers due to existing and very 'loyal' DSLR users (especially professionals) being able to use their existing DSLR lenses on mirrorless Canon/Nikon FF offerings via smart adapters ... even though there are 'L' mount smart adapters. 

Panasonic is still the 'new FF kid on the block' compared to Sony, Canon and Nikon.

I do use an S1R (often with Canon TS-E lenses) because I'm an 'existing' L mount camera system user ... but if I was an 'existing' Canon /Nikon DSLR user (with the millions of other Nikon/Canon enthusiasts), my preferences would very likely be different ... and would take a lot of persuading to make me switch brands ... in the current 'dog eat dog' FF camera market. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

More good news :

FNAC biggest seller of photo equipment in France is also selling S1R + 24-105 + the brand new 85mm f/1.8 + battery  grip for... 2499€ only vat included. 

What’s more ? You can get up to 700€ reimbursement for another optic  

Panasonic is desperate to move its inventory at any cost. 

By the way it is not a Black Friday deal. It will be available for as long as needed to clear all the stock.