Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm M10 and SL user (also M6). I just got the m8 for a few day as my first camera that use CCD (I have never used m9 before).

so excited to try M8. I got some question. yesterday, i went to shoot m8 with konica 50 mm f1.2 and I'm not sure why the picture in frame in viewfinder and my picture is not the same view. 

this is normal for m8? I hope you understand for my questions. sorry for my bad English :)  

I find the frame lines on the M8 to be a little"sloppy" the 50 frame is definitely too small. I use it with a 50 collapsible Summicron. I is also difficult if your lens doesn't activate the right fram line set. My M8 was difficult to get the frame lines to move, it had had one lens on it its whole life. I worked it out, but the amount of choices frame lines can also be confusing. I worked out the crankiness of the frame line indicator, the camera is now working fine. It helps to have a manual that explains the framelines.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

The M8 framelines are optimized for 1m. Anything past that, you will get more on the image than what the framelines show. The 75mm framelines are perfect for an 85mm lens, the 90mm framelines are perfect for a 100/105mm lens. For 50mm- you get more than is expected, Leica felt it was better than cutting things off.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I prefer the original framelines in my unmodified M8, I often use it at minimum focus. The M9 and M Monochrom framelines are also optimized for 1m- so same rule of thumb for my three digital Leicas..

I also use the 1/8000th second shutter speed, an advantage over my M9 and M Monochrom. Reason enough to keep the M8 after buying that pair.

Edited by BrianS

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

I prefer the original framelines in my unmodified M8, I often use it at minimum focus. The M9 and M Monochrom framelines are also optimized for 1m- so same rule of thumb for my three digital Leicas..

I also use the 1/8000th second shutter speed, an advantage over my M9 and M Monochrom. Reason enough to keep the M8 after buying that pair.

Actually, your M8 frame lines are different; they are optimized for .7m, like some film Ms. 

2m works much better for me, hence M8.2, M240 and now M10, with the M10 platform being the most robust and refined in other ways (better VF...higher magnification, better eye relief and bigger opening.... quiet, improved weather sealing, higher build/RF tolerances, slimmer, etc).  But I added a used M9 Monochrom, which of course has its own unique benefits for b/w. The VF experience is inferior to the M10 for me, but the 1m frame line focus optimization can be fairly quickly accommodated.

Jeff