50mm Elmar rubs when collapsed in M6 Classic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As the title suggests, I noticed some resistance recently when collapsing my 50mm Elmar (last version) into my M6 classic.  I don't remember this earlier, but I've mostly used the lens on my M6 TTL and M240.  Zero rub/resistance on the M6TTL and M240.  (And yes I've done a ton of research and concluded confidently that the 50mm Elmar collapses safely into an M240 and have done so with no problems.)

Has anyone experienced this rub with the Elmar when collapsing?  Very strange.  The lens itself feels very smooth in its collapsing:  No play at all.

I can’t understand what it could rub against in the camera.  I have an M6 classic and the same lens.  Mine has some friction when collapsing the lens on both my M3 and M6, but still smooth.  If there is anything in the camera obstructing the lens it should be obvious by looking into the lens mount.

28 minutes ago, plaidshirts said:

That is strange. Theoretically it should work just fine in the classic. Perhaps take a look from the back in the bulb setting with the shutter open as you collapse the Elmar? It must be something specific to your m6. 

That's what I'm thinking.  I don't remember it before... but maybe I only used it on my TTL.  There is definitely a resistance/rubbing that happens when I'm collapsing it that I do not feel when I collapse it on the TTL or M240.  As in, it is resistance free until a certain point, and then it hits something and needs more pressure and feels friction-y the rest of the way down.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, Maarten said:

Have you investigated the issue by opening the rear door then opening the shutter and look from behind what is going on in your M6 body when you collapse the lens?

OK I tried it and it just barely grazes the bottom of the round piece that couples the lens to the rangefinder.  I'm guessing that the part might be bent a touch lower than it should?

12 hours ago, yeeper said:

OK I tried it and it just barely grazes the bottom of the round piece that couples the lens to the rangefinder.  I'm guessing that the part might be bent a touch lower than it should?

Yes, the lens should not be touching any of that. 

I have noticed that on an early screw body, with a 1950’s Summicron or f2.8 Elmar. I think it is the top most of the bayonet lugs just touching the rangefinder roller. Try turning the collapsing part of the lens round a bit as you push it in so that the top most clocking lug is not directly in line with the rangefinder roller.

The last Elmar doesn't have the lugs the older collapsible lens have. There should be something like a 0.5mm to 1.0mm gap between the focus roller and the barrel as it retracts into the body but some Elmars wobble more than others after being unlocked and this may be causing the barrel to touch the roller. See if it clears by tilting the outer end of the lens up as you retract it.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:24 AM, 250swb said:

The last Elmar doesn't have the lugs the older collapsible lens have. There should be something like a 0.5mm to 1.0mm gap between the focus roller and the barrel as it retracts into the body but some Elmars wobble more than others after being unlocked and this may be causing the barrel to touch the roller. See if it clears by tilting the outer end of the lens up as you retract it.

I had a lens tune up at YYE and there is very little play.  Also no rub on my M6TTL or M240.  I'm going to send it to DAG and have him take a look... maybe the roller is a bit low.  Thank!