Summarits - A case study

Fgcm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, matted said:

What is this talk of rubber o the Summarits? I have a 35 2,5 and a 50 2,4 and do not recall any parts of them being rubber, save for the cap for the 35 2,5 with hood. Is the rubber just limited to the 75/95 focus rings?

All in all I love my two Summarits, and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything other than of course speed, and perhaps character wide open when compared to some of the Luxes and Crons in the 35/50 focal lengths.

My copies handle beautifully, have nice sharpness, good colour/contrast, and are nice and small. I can see them rising in value for sure!

The focus rings on the 75 and 90 are rubber.  No rubber on my 35/2.4.  Admittedly I haven't used my 75/2.4 much but I don't see any signs of rubber oxidation or other deterioration yet.  

On 1/13/2021 at 5:00 PM, stephengv said:

Do you think the recently discontinued summarit lenses, specifically the 75 2.4 will increased in value?

Hello Stephen,

if you can buy one in your price range, just buy it as user.

Loss/gain value may be of small amount, as these Summarit-M would never enter the expensive collector's market.

If the lens lost it's value, you would have a good lens for the price of lost-value if you sell.

In either case lost/gain value, I'd not be ansty.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:22 AM, Herr Barnack said:

What's going on is the rubber is experiencing oxidation as it ages.  303 Protectant should remove the oxidation and restore the rubber to near new condition.  A drop or two on the tip of a Q-Tip should be sufficient - just make sure the Q-Tip is damp, not soaking wet so you don't have 303 trickling into the mechanical works of your lens. 

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B0045E7PC8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Can I use Armorall?

On 1/7/2021 at 12:22 AM, Herr Barnack said:

What's going on is the rubber is experiencing oxidation as it ages.  303 Protectant should remove the oxidation and restore the rubber to near new condition.  A drop or two on the tip of a Q-Tip should be sufficient - just make sure the Q-Tip is damp, not soaking wet so you don't have 303 trickling into the mechanical works of your lens. 

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B0045E7PC8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Do you applies this when the lens is new or only when it shows oxidation?

2 hours ago, stephengv said:

Can I use Armorall?

I wouldn't - Armorall has a petroleum component. 

That is why 303 was developed - people were using Armorall on their canoes and kayaks.  When they put them into a lake, the Armorall would leave a multicolored oil ring around the boat. 

I would not use anything with a petrol component on my cameras or lenses.

11 minutes ago, stephengv said:

So even if its new, I should apply 303?

It can't hurt - it will help keep the rubber from drying out and oxidizing.  As I stated in my post 57 above -

...A drop or two on the tip of a Q-Tip should be sufficient - just make sure the Q-Tip is damp, not soaking wet so you don't have 303 trickling into the mechanical works of your lens...

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 1 year later...

With Jeff's link, I "unearth" this thread,

nice ideas as how lenses were made and trick to get rid of "whitening" rubber ring.

Many thanks to the authors 👍.

We have also

Edited by a.noctilux

55 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

With Jeff's link, I "unearth" this thread,

nice ideas as how lenses were made and trick to get rid of "whitening" rubber ring.

Many thanks to the authors 👍.

We have also

I also have added a 50/2.4 Summarit as well.

Edited by rpsawin