Summarits - A case study

Fgcm

🚫

Leica tried hard to offer "less-expensive-but not less imaging-quality" camera or lenses, since decades.

In my view, I'm late fan of the Summarit-M lens line (35/50/75 f/2.5 ) , now I appreciate them very much.

Optically "optimized" modern lenses they are "neutral rendering" ( = not really characterial nor "too sharp" ) .

Maybe it's too late to compete with other brands which offer more ( F/1.7 or F/1.2 ) for the same money or less but quite decent.

Even the renew with F/2.4 (with naming "asph." for the 35mm and E46 filter size for all, MFD 70cm on 75 ) with many "upgradings" the line can not help to survive.

"Customers" killed the Summarit-M lens line.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

The guys at Leica Miami (Red Dot Forum) are putting together a petition to send to Leica requesting that the Summarit M line (f2.4) be revived.  

Well, a petition is no bad idea, though I fear it would only convince Leica, if every petitioner also signed a binding contract to buy a Summarit.

You can make a test in this forum: So many threads about "which lens someone should get". When is a Summarit mentioned, or is it mentioned at all? Or just  compare cases of a 50mm Summarit being mentioned with postings about a Noctilux. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UliWer said:

You can make a test in this forum: So many threads about "which lens someone should get". When is a Summarit mentioned, or is it mentioned at all? Or just  compare cases of a 50mm Summarit being mentioned with postings about a Noctilux. 

I agree with you.

Right or wrong, the customers opted to buy other lenses, not the Summarits. The question is why did they?

Is it just a matter of being Leicamen as Ken Rockwell writes with a pinch of irony and a drop of sarcasm? Or other reasons should be factored in the equation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The idea "if I buy a Leica it must be really expensive" is very important for customers. I remember when I bought my first M6 more than 20 years ago, the dealer wanted to sell me an Elmar-M. I sneered at this offer and demanded the Summilux - thrice as expensive. The Elmar-M came ten years later. 

I have three of them with two problems i haven't got with any of my 30+ Leica M and R lenses so far: a focus ring much too loose on the 35/2.5 and a broken aperture ring on my 75/2.5. None of my ZM and VM lenses got the same issues either. Hence my feeling of somewhat sub-par lenses i would not buy again, rightly or wrongly, if Leica didn't stop their production. Very good little lenses otherwise. I don't like much their screwing hood though. YMMV.

10 minutes ago, UliWer said:

The idea "if I buy a Leica it must be really expensive" is very important for customers. I remember when I bought my first M6 more than 20 years ago, the dealer wanted to sell me an Elmar-M. I sneered at this offer and demanded the Summilux - thrice as expensive. The Elmar-M came ten years later. 

I’ve written before that the Summarits might have been far more popular if the prices had been much higher and if they had been marketed and packaged accordingly.  The Summarits perform superbly, often with less flare or focus shift than Summicron counterparts.  

People continue to rave about expensive modern Leica lenses despite frequently loose aperture rings (three 50 APO M Summicrons I sampled), or sticky focus action (not uncommon with 50 Summilux ASPH), etc.

Jeff

Personally I feel that its Leica's fault that the line was not as successful as they had hoped.

Rather than crippling them with longer minimum focus distances and half stop slower lenses (35/50)  and rubberized focus rings(75/90) and subpar accessories like cloth lens sacks, they should have taken their cue from the very successful 28/2.8 ASPH and made a "budget" Elmarit 28,35,50 75 and 90 line that had the same materials and packaging as all other lenses and only differed in max aperture.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

I think opinions have changed over the last few years to where Summarits are now given their proper dues. Current used prices seem to support this as well. 
Thank you for the detailed breakdown of the lens. I’ve always liked my 35 but felt the focus ring was a bit too loose. Now I know why. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, plaidshirts said:

I’ve always liked my 35 but felt the focus ring was a bit too loose.

Same here. It's really the only "negative" I've ever found with the lens. I do prefer the more damped feeling of my Summicron V, but the looser feel of the Summarit certainly doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the lens. 

I remember a youtuber called them 'dogs' lol. He manly argued the resale value wasnt as great as 'exotic' glass

I always thought the summarits were given a bad wrap since it was viewed as a compromise/budget lens and suggested lesser quality, less exotic glass etc. A 'meh' lens since most who afford a leica would just bite the bullet and go for that extra 1/2 stop summicron. I remember the summarits were going for a really low price i believe 1200usd. I should of went ahead but the summicron was more alluring lol.

Mind you even Karbe i remember commented in a recent lens interview that the line was optically very good and wasnt valued as it should.

Maybe the idea of budget and leica dont work together. I dont know lol

Now prices have come up somewhat since the line has been scraped lol

Edited by cboy
  • Like 1

I felt that price-wise the Summarits fell into a middle ground that wasn't likely to be attractive to anyone. Sure, they were a lot cheaper than buying Leica's more exotic glass new, but the USD1200 that cboy cites in the post above is not "cheap" for a medium-aperture 50mm. There are loads of good alternatives for less coin, whether with used Leica or other brands. Perhaps time has given us a better perspective, and maybe being discontinued has give them some nostalgic cachet.

For my part, I was always a fast-glass junkie, having spent a lot of time trying to shoot musicians in badly-lit bars. In film days it was a real struggle, even with Kodak or Ilford B&W ISO 3200 uprated in development it was difficult and I needed lenses that would hoover up every last photon. The latest bodies have incredible high ISO performance and fast lenses are not so essential, the f/2.4 or 2.5 of the Summarits might well be up to the job.

John

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 12:10 AM, Fgcm said:

The two Summarits are among the first Leica lenses having a focusing sub-assembly made of thwo different metals: brass and anodized aluminum

Ahm. Forgive me if incorrect in saying that i thought brass and aluminium shouldnt be connected together as they are dissimilar metals that can cause corrosion??

Made me think whether this will affect the longevity of the line up or not as i was considering the 35mm summarit to replace my vm 35mm f1.4 and rokkor 40mm.

Probably im overthinking as i dont think if anyone has experienced corrosion on their lens lol

On 10/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, Fgcm said:

Corner softness is most often related to a very mild field curvature. Since I never shoot walls, this is not a problem and actually the two lenses are not at all soft in the corners if you take a photo at least some meters away from the subject.

I have bought a brand new Summarit 75/2.5 and it was severely decentered in one corner across a third of the image. Nothing to do with field curvature, more with QC.
My second one bought used is perfect.

• 1 month later...