24meg verses 40meg aesthetic

Tom1234

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, wizard said:

No need for a Leica then! Just grab a Lomo ... 🙂

Wrong. You forget one thing here. The final result is one thing. But the process is as important. I felt disgust shooting with my A7SIII this morning. My creativity is much more stimulated with an M in my hands. 

But we must admit that the 12MP sensor of the A7SIII seems to produce great results with Leica lens, with the added benefit of 10 Bit 422 beautiful 4K video. 

22 hours ago, 250swb said:

I'd say the 24mp images look more interesting generally speaking, and 18mp images more than that. I'm not seeing harsh 40mp images, just flat boring bland images. 

Isn’t this mainly / simply a question of post-processing ? they are flat because of High Dynamic Range, and you can of course work on the file to get the result you want

4 hours ago, Steven said:

Both images were shot at 1.4 and ISO 800. 

I have to say that Sony really improved their color science in the A7SIII, even compared to the A7RIV.... For raw files, its quite the same now. Not sure the if the BSI sensor has anything to do with it, but adapting a Leica lens now seems completely doable. The improved focus peaking settings change improve the shooting experience too. 

Anyway, back to main topic of the thread, its quite amazing that everyone im showing it too prefers the 12MP image than the 24MP. 

Nice ! Haha I am surprised that the Sony files held more details on the corners than the Leica when I was comparing corner performance (pavement)

I guess I can’t tell the difference..which I will admit.. but it definitely says a lot about whether I should upgrade from my existing camera (M9). Here is what I am used to seeing from my Leica (unprocessed)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DRuL4CS53VHk8zfv8

Edited by Raymondl

2 hours ago, Raymondl said:

Nice ! Haha I am surprised that the Sony files held more details on the corners than the Leica when I was comparing corner performance (pavement)

I guess I can’t tell the difference..which I will admit.. but it definitely says a lot about whether I should upgrade from my existing camera (M9). Here is what I am used to seeing from my Leica (unprocessed)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DRuL4CS53VHk8zfv8

DAMN, the M9 surely produces some sweet images..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steven said:

…Anyway, back to main topic of the thread, its quite amazing that everyone im showing it too prefers the 12MP image than the 24MP. 

Could it be… that using the least meg resolution, that gets the job done, is more pleasing?  This would mean that adjusting resolution up and down in post should help - have you guys tried this?  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Steven said:

I felt disgust shooting with my A7SIII this morning. My creativity is much more stimulated with an M in my hands.  But we must admit that the 12MP sensor of the A7SIII seems to produce great results with Leica lens, with the added benefit of 10 Bit 422 beautiful 4K video. 

Me too as above, yet...

My official camera maker statement… at least for today while I am feeling good… I love all camera makers.. but I love Leica more.  Finally of all the women chasing you… you must choose one.  Leica is the one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, didier said:

Isn’t this mainly / simply a question of post-processing ? they are flat because of High Dynamic Range, and you can of course work on the file to get the result you want

Yes, but not many people do any post processing so what you see are more or less straight out of the camera pictures. If the camera isn't inspiring anybody to do better   when presented with great files what is the point of it?

12 minutes ago, Tom1234 said:

Could it be… that using the least meg resolution, that gets the job done, is more pleasing?  This would mean that adjusting resolution up and down in post should help - have you guys tried this?  

Could be. Why not. I loved all my 12MP & 24MP cameras in the past. Canon, Sony and Leica. I never liked the files I got from my 61MP A7RIV. I never liked the files from the R5's 45MP sensor, and ended up selling it as well. And the Q2 is beautiful because its a Leica, but I really prefer the M10P files to the ones of the Q2. After all, it's just more cinematic. Look at films, 90% of the ones we see in cinema are projected in 2K. The camera usually produce images around 8MP only. We have a lust for an imperfect image. With grain. Most people love 35mm film... 

Never tried adjusting the res, but it does seem intriguing. If it works, then the M10R could be a great, versatile option for me. For now I fear its going to be too sharp. 

14 minutes ago, Tom1234 said:

Me too as above, yet...

My official camera maker statement… at least for today while I am feeling good… I love all camera makers.. but I love Leica more.  Finally of all the women chasing you… you must choose one.  Leica is the one.

You worded it better than me. I felt disgust using my A7SIII.... in comparison to the M10P I had in the other hand. But after all its still a great camera, and im super surprised by the files it produces. Especially with M lenses ! Need to experiment more with that 12MP sensor. 

Guest Nowhereman

Whoever wants the best possible files straight out of the camera can get this from the last few versions of an iPhone or another smartphone camera — you won't need to worry about flat files. Deciding between an M10 and and M10-R, you need to see what you can do with the the malleable files, in terms of what you want — and that depends on knowing what is possible and as well what you want. Like 250swb, from what I've seen so far from the M10-R and, for that matter, from the M10-M as well, I prefer to keep my M10. Indeed, going by what I've seen so far, I prefer having a 24 MP camera than one with 40 MP.

Just now, Lelmer said:

You don't love them anymore ???

I used the past form because I sold most of them (for the shinier, newer thing). This is why I used the past form. I could make you a long list of the 12MP and 24MP cameras I have loved, but I pick my favourite only for each resolution: the Nikon D3S for 12MP (sold), and the Canon 1DXII for 24MP (sold). 

The current 12MP I use is the A7SIII (which I think I might love, at least the results, not the experience. The current 24MP I use is the M10P, which I love more than anything ive ever owned. 

I have one sub 24mp camera (the Q2, which I mostly love). Besides that, everything else that I own at this moment that can take a photo is 24MP or less. M10P, M7, M6, Nikon F3, A7SIII, Iphone 12 pro (which I hate). 

I am considering to purchase an SL2, but I'm hesitating due to bad AF performance reports. 

4 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Whoever wants the best possible files straight out of the camera can get this from the last few versions of an iPhone or another smartphone camera — you won't need to worry about flat files. Deciding between an M10 and and M10-R, you need to see what you can do with the the malleable files, in terms of what you want — and that depends on knowing what is possible and as well what you want. Like 250swb, from what I've seen so far from the M10-R and, for that matter, from the M10-M as well, I prefer to keep my M10. Indeed, going by what I've seen so far, I prefer having a 24 MP camera than one with 40 MP.

I agree with everything you've said except the statement on iPhones. I understand the best camera is the one you have on you, but I actually hate iPhone photos. Berk. 

If you want the best out of camera files, I would get an M10 and shoot JPEG. If you want to simplify things even further, get the Ricoh GR3, especially if you like black and white. I bought this camera last month and tried for 30 days before returning it. What a little beast. It's an amazing tool if you want something the size of a smartphone that fits in your pocket. Mind blowing camera. 

13 hours ago, Steven said:

Here's another point on topic:: yesterday I adapted my 35 pre FLE lux to my A7SIII and shot side by side photos with the M10P, at night in town. Sure, I gave an advantage to the Sony by choosing lowlight for the test, but I would say that 90% of the out of camera shots were nicer from the Sony. Furthermore, with a couples touches to the temperature and tint sliders in LR, I could match both images so well is seconds, to a point where no one, I assure you no one, would be able to tell a difference in a blind test. This might be a topic of interest for a new thread ? Or no one cares about Sony bodies here?

I would be very, very interested in this test result and side by side comparisons between those two cameras. 

53 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

I would be very, very interested in this test result and side by side comparisons between those two cameras. 

I posted a few comparaison shots this morning. Check out post #51 for more info. 
I’ll try to post more soon. 

51 minutes ago, Steven said:

I posted a few comparaison shots this morning. Check out post #51 for more info. 
I’ll try to post more soon. 

Can you try to grab some of more "real world" scenarios, i.e. portraits a few feet away with the lens wide open or stopped down a bit (no more than f/2.8)? I'd be grateful! 

• Like 1

Just now, eyeheartny said:

Can you try to grab some of more "real world" scenarios, i.e. portraits a few feet away with the lens wide open or stopped down a bit (no more than f/2.8)? I'd be grateful! 

I could try to shoot portraits of a doll outdoor at 1.4 with both cameras and the Lux on if that'd be helpful? I used to ask my wife to pose for my camera comparison, but she long ago lost her patience... 

• Haha 2

@Steven @eyeheartny have you guys seen this comparison ? It’s not an Apple to apples comparison but it’s quite interesting.

Leica - Sony - Fujifilm

Additionally links to the images have been provided. 

link to images - https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AFveXrl0gAadkLU&id=8821834201DD14A3!548689&cid=8821834201DD14A3

video (refer to description) - 

• Like 1