M10-P Freezing and lockup

MrFriendly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Couple days ago I encountered an issue with my M246M that would cause the camera to freeze, and I made a thread about it here.  Thinking that the core OS is the same for all the M models, this morning I decided to see if the same issue exists on my M10-P (running firmware 2.7.5.0).  It took less than five minutes to reproduce the issue on my M10-P by following the same procedure.  So far the one difference I've noticed between the two cameras in regards to this bug is that on the M10-P the Live View kept working; i.e., all the buttons froze, I could not take a picture, but Live View was still running.  Also, interesting enough, turning the camera off then on did not fix the issue.  I literally had to remove the battery for it to reset.

Initially I wasn't sure if the camera was seg-faulting or some kind of deadlock, but after my experience today with my M10-P, it looks to be some kind of thread contention issue.  Threading issues are the hardest to debug and fix.  And if I had to guess, I would say this bug is many years old and there are many more to be found, which means:

1. Leica doesn't do enough testing because their quality assurance is really really poor, OR
  2. Leica is aware of the issue, but for reasons they can not or will not fix it.

I was hoping that this was going to be an isolated issue with my M246M because I got it used and I was getting ready to get a M10M.  But now I know that the firmware running on these cameras is just crap.  I wouldn't mind such a thing in a toy camera, but for something that cost over $8K, this is absolutely unacceptable.

Edited by MrFriendly

Me too, every Leica M with electronics I’ve owned or tried has bugs that require off/on reset or battery removal. It won’t happen often, but it does occur. My car has issues also, phone, computers hang, Macs included, apps stop working, my watering timer is psychotic. If I didn’t enjoy these cameras and lenses so much I’d have switched brands but then I’d have a computer with a camera attached rather than a camera with electronics.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2