SL2 as the sole system - or keep an M?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Each to his/her own.

I spent some time not showing any love to my M10. A fine camera and the best M yet but I was flirting with the other systems, including the SL2. I seriously contemplated getting out of the M altogether. Why have all this stuff if it's just sitting on a shelf?

This was weird. I really enjoy shooting with an M. I don't mind missing shots and I like the way it concentrates my *focus*, pardon the pun. I'd shot nothing but M's both professionally and personally for several years at one point. I don't NEED the bells and whistles of the SL2. When I thought about it I found I wasn't using any of my 24MP cameras. I can print big and it was that nagging voice telling me I needed resolution. It's a stupid thought. Even I, who can print big, only does so once every couple of months. But the nagging was there. So I bought a M10M.

I've also added an M10R. Now, it's the SL2 that's sitting on the shelf. The SL lenses might be objectively *better* but this is fun. I wouldn't carry an SL2 everywhere I go but the M10M and a MATE have joined me on trips to the supermarket.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to keep/sell a camera system. Just don't rush in to a decision. Let it stew for a while. Work out the real reason and then make a decision.

Gordon

• Like 4

On 10/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, ardbeg said:

I think the better metaphor for the discussion is "do I keep the air aspirated 80s/90s era Porsche 911 with manual transmission" or "do I trade it in for a newer model with different engine configuration and PDK".

Wrong metaphor entirely - and I'd have you know I drive a 10 year old Skoda Yeti!

My issue is that if economic realities forced me to make a choice, would I limit myself to one main system over another.  As a working professional I used Canon film and Digital SLRs for over around 30 years (Eos 1 and 1v through all the 5 series iterations to 5D mk 4).    Alongside this system I used film M6 and then digital M8 through to M10.  I needed these two systems as one of them allowed me to use fast zooms (and some great primes), and the other let me travel light and document complex subjects in difficult situations.  Both of these systems earned their livings.  I now find myself with a potential unifiying system based on the L mount, with the SL2 in particular enabling me to use my M glass AND modern zooms and AF lenses on the same system.  Given this fact, and in this pandemic world, I face a major question regarding whether or not it's sensible to  have so much capital sunk in a system that I'm not using that much...

A lot of thoughtful people have responded to my initial question saying that it's daft to get rid of the Ms as they do a unique job.  Maybe not hold on to both, but at least keep one.  I'm inclined to go in this direction and will keep at least one (but probably keep both for the moment), with my current promise to myself being that I'll stay happy with the M10 despite it "only" being 24MP, and "only" having a workable base ISO of 200, and "being really limited" in holding on to highlight detail.

So - gentle reader - PLEASE don't assume that all the people who contribute to the forum are well-heeled amateur dilletantes, and please don't assume that we don't need to get full value from the investments that we make in kit that we buy. 

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

Wrong metaphor entirely - and I'd have you know I drive a 10 year old Skoda Yeti

Well, the Porsche reference was a bit in jest as I similarly drive an almost 10 year old beaten up VW Golf. I personally don't think you'd be daft to get rid of the Ms. I got rid of my M (and most but not all of the M lenses) to consolidate down to just an SL2 because 1) my ability to properly focus with a rangefinder is decaying and I was using the 020 EVF more and more so why not just get a proper EVF like in the SL2 and 2) my wife's "less is more" anti-materialism has partially rubbed off on me and I too don't like to keep gear I'm not using as frequently as I once did. I like the SL2 most as I can consolidate down to my favorite, most used lenses across several mounts (Canon, LTM, M, L, R, and S) and I very much like that adapted lens flexibility the SL2 offers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 8:14 PM, steve 1959 said:

Sale the porche if you do not use it and keep the bentley if you want? but where is the debate?

Simple: do you need both or not. Just replace porche by skoda and bentley by fiat if money is a concern ;).

On 10/25/2020 at 6:03 AM, MarkP said:

So, ignoring the distraction, I have an SL2 system but cannot see myself ever getting rid of my M system......

But otherwise it's the M system: IQ, those fabulous lenses, compact, discrete, simple, versatile, film & digital compatibility.

I use my M-Mount lenses regularly with the M to TL adapter. The SL is truly a manual lovers dream. The focus peaking (I love the red focus highlights) is fast and is a welcome alternative to the M system RF focusing. I too am grappling with selling my M240 (along with the EVF-2, the R to M adapter, the wonderful R-Mount lenses, et al), then I say to myself, as excellent a the SL is, it is a behemoth to carry all day. Plus the battery drains quickly especially if you are reviewing shots regularly. I also have an M8.2 and more and more, i take that camera with me. As I have 3 lenses dedicated to it with 6-bit engraving and the IR filters needed in many conditions. Still the ease of use of the M8.2 never lets me down.

I guess I'm just a manic "Leicaphile" who can not part with his 'family' even though COVID has cut into my street photography and travel shooting.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I keep M246 and both SLs. A black and white camera is special and different than the rest, the SL2 is for almost everything. The SL is for use with R lenses (R 50, R35, R19, R15, R80, M135, R180, R250, R350).

I only sell a camera if I terribly need money. (Knock on wood, it has not happened, yet.)

Edited by caissa

1 hour ago, Gavin Cato said:

Am I the only guy who doesn't find the SL2 that big?

Maybe it's all the years of using Canon 1 series bodies.

Body not that big, but I only use native SL lenses, which are monsters compared to my M lenses.  But well balanced together, with good ergonomics, albeit heavy.  I don’t mind the size, though; not a replacement for my M system.  I used to deal with large format view cameras, stacks of film holders, heavy tripod, etc, as well as SLRs and various MF systems, so it’s all relative.  IBIS on the SL2 (with OIS on long zooms) is a delight, negating tripod use for most of my needs.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Consolidation of existing equipment is something which at  some point or other concerns everyone.

I`m not longer bothered about lack of use having sold equipment on that basis and regretted it ,only to buy it back again. 

I have three M film bodies which I would never sell .

Never got into the digital M side but have bought a CL.

I continue to "look" at SL bodies both as a way of extending my shooting and consolidating my existing lenses.

Extending my shooting in the context of equestrian shots which are about 80% of my output.

In that regard I currently use a Sony body but have used Canon in the past .

I prefer that type of system for my equestrian shots but constantly wonder if the SL would be fast enough and have the iso headroom.

The size of the SL system has never been an obstacle .... I tend to struggle with small camera bodies like the Sony although not so much with the CL for some reason .

Guest BlackBarn
3 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

Your right, the SL2 is a comfortable size and because of the grip easier in the hand than my 10m. I decided on the SL2 over the 10r based on the weather sealing of both the camera and lenses.

Every-time I pick up the SL2 -  for shooting colour -  I feel it’s such a capable camera - quite exceptional. I had the SL with all the zooms but the size of those were not for me so sold them. I only have the SL APO 35mm which is fine for what I do. So if I wasn’t into Mono the SL2 would be more than acceptable as the basis for an only camera system however I would keep to the one native lens as I prefer the older M lenses. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have an SL2, think the SL primes are incredible, and feel the overall image quality is better for my large print sizes than anything I achieved with the M system.

I’m very into B&W, however, and this would naturally point me towards an M10M - I’ve resisted so far, even though I do see a clear tonal benefit of the dedicated Monochrom sensor. But it’s clear that part of my resistance to the M 10M is because I’d like to now keep to the SL as the core camera system ....who knows if it’ll ever happen, but after the Q2 Mono’s arrival, I’m hoping that one day an SL2 Mono might occur. That could be wishful thinking, and might never happen, but if it did occur it would allow me to keep everything (both colour and dedicated B&W) to an SL system with its incredibly good SL prime lenses ....

• Like 3

On 11/19/2020 at 5:17 PM, Gavin Cato said:

Maybe it's all the years of using Canon 1 series bodies.

Agree with you. I also came from shooting Canon 1D series bodies with L glass telephoto zooms. The SL2 feels good with the 24-90. Easy to carry with a wriststrap.  I also mounted the 90-280 at a Leica Store and I was surprised about the weight and size. I heard a lot of comments about it being too big and heavy but honestly, it's lighter than I expected and not that big compared to what I used to carry. I've got it on my short list. I guess it all depends on your prospective. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2020 at 5:59 AM, ronone10 said:

Agree with you. I also came from shooting Canon 1D series bodies with L glass telephoto zooms. The SL2 feels good with the 24-90. Easy to carry with a wriststrap.  I also mounted the 90-280 at a Leica Store and I was surprised about the weight and size. I heard a lot of comments about it being too big and heavy but honestly, it's lighter than I expected and not that big compared to what I used to carry. I've got it on my short list. I guess it all depends on your prospective. 

Even coming from an M it isn't too big. The grip makes all the difference. In fact, in hand, the camera is so much more comfortable to handle (duh!) than an M. An hour into a walk, M in hand, my hand starts to ache. Full disclosure I didn't do leather case or sling or anything so I used to carry it naked so to speak. Again, I for one agree that the SL2 with an SL-Cron on it feels very well balanced.

Ah, but then I went out this morning on one of my favourite walks with just the M10 and a 28 summicron asph...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctribble/shares/170b7B

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It reminded me of why I'll never get rid of an M and at the very least this lens. 

🙂

• Like 5

I'm keeping both. I use my SL2 for color work, and retain an M9 Monochrom for black & white work. With all due respect to previous posts, I am enamored of the M9 CCD and think the SL2/M10-R CMOS has its place in terms of being ridonkulously precise, but the noise profile the M9 Monochrom CCD produces in black and white is just...(kisses fingers)...on flerk (did I say that right? ;) )