Is multishot possible for the Q2 with a future firmware upgrade?

In theory, it would be possible without moving the sensor, as it is likely done in Pentax and Olympus cameras (hand-held high-resolution mode). Instead of shifting the sensor, the camera uses slight shifts in camera position (hand-held). I doubt it would be added in Q2.

You can also do it in the post: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0727694641/here-s-how-to-pixel-shift-with-any-camera

Technically it has to be possible: it has to be the same to move the CMOS a few microns in two directions 
as the movement of a few millimeters (per meter of distance to the subject) in two directions of the subject and environment, 
and to develop the software for the treatment of the images...
I think moving the camera is not a good idea, as it changes the point of view...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I worked on a multi-shot application back in the 1990s.  The idea was to get increased resolution when scanning in business cards held in your hand and captured with the bezel camera of your laptop (yes there were laptops with cameras back that far into the dawn of imaging). You just save enough images to get some spread and then average them, or combine them in some more clever way.  It's called super-resolution and is a very old idea.  As with multi-shot sub-pixel resolution, it never worked as well as we had hoped, but it works.

I suspect that every time you capture a bar code or QR code with your phone you are using some similar averaging algorithm to separate the signal from surrounding noise.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • 10 months later...

With LR’s recent updates its also possible to just use Enhance and Super Resolution option without all the other fiddling to get an equivalent higher pixel image.  I haven’t tested this method with the Q2 but I have compared it with Multi-shot in the SL2-S and see no significant difference in image quality.  I think the LR algorithm is equal to or perhaps even slightly better than the in-camera Multi-shot in some scenes.

Unfortunately, LR doesn’t support the Q2Mono sensor for the Enhance function.  The Super Resolution option is supported but I found the results undesirable with horrible areas of pixelation.

Edited by Ba Erv
16 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

With LR’s recent updates its also possible to just use Enhance and Super Resolution option without all the other fiddling to get an equivalent higher pixel image.  I haven’t tested this method with the Q2 but I have compared it with Multi-shot in the SL2-S and see no significant difference in image quality.  I think the LR algorithm is equal to or perhaps even slightly better than the in-camera Multi-shot in some scenes.

Unfortunately, LR doesn’t support the Q2Mono sensor for the Enhance function.  The Super Resolution option is supported but I found the results undesirable with horrible areas of pixelation.

I tried it once on my MacBook Pro (retina, older model) and it took an eternity and a half... Never tried it again:/

2 hours ago, acg69 said:

I tried it once on my MacBook Pro (retina, older model) and it took an eternity and a half... Never tried it again:/

I’m on a new MacBook M1 so it only takes 7 seconds to process.

On 9/2/2021 at 1:58 PM, Pelu2010 said:

Hey,

you can do it manually [ 😉 ] 

If you would like to make the effort. 

And if someone writes a script for photoshop then it´s even easier. 

You could get 150 to 200 mpx.

But you only need it if your work is presented like this:

https://www.derbelight.com

Or if you plan a mpx website. 

Thanks for sharing.