Using both, M246 and M240

Nshah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all. A question to those who use both, a monochrom ( e.g M246) and a color M (e.g M240) . Does it create a stress of choice? How do you divide your work between the two? Do you keep dedicated lenses for each camera? I have a m240 and was planning to buy a used m246 to focus more on bw. Wondering whether I should keep both or sell off m240, so your experience will help me. Thank you in advance.

Hello Nshah,

I had M240 (still have and other Ms) before buying M246.

The luxury of having choices made me keeping them all (for now I don't have to sell for "replacing/buying" what I need).

After M246, I use less M240 .

Funny thing that I had project to travel with the two (M240/246) as they share same accessories (EVF, batteries, charger) and lenses as we know.

Another "fun", not to pick one in place of the other, my M240 is silver and of course Monochrom is black.

If you can afford, you can buy M246, use them along, then decide if you can live with the two or sell one after some time.

I don't have stress using one as when I have the Monochrom with me, natural "B&W mindset" is there.

As time goes, after some learning curve, I don't use the two ( b&w/color) in one photo session anymore.

They share same lenses ( choices from 12mm to 560mm ! ), but most of time I use only one or two lenses when I go out.

I understand that when having the choice of two can "stress"

but the only way to know is TRY.

Arnaud

• Thanks 1

I am in  the same situation as I have just acquired a M246 by trading in two lenses I used less. Now I have both M240 and M246. As Arnaud said, I use the same lenses and I carry only one of the cameras for a photo outing session. It takes some time to decide which one depending on the subject. For instance , as I wanted to get more acquainted with the Monochrom , I took it with me for hiking lately. But in fall , I missed all the nice tree colors. So , that time it was the wrong decision. This said , I believe I will have a 60/40 or 75/25 use ratio to the advantage of the Mono. Good luck. Owning the 246 together with 240 has a system advantage. But the Mono acquisition decision is an irrational one versus a full logic. You have to make the rational work only after the acquisition !!!😊

• Thanks 1

Nice move Ali !

In my 'view', b&w rendering of colored landscape can be fun with Monochrom + colored filters ( orange/yellow/green /etc to try out ).

With M246's LV (or EVF), if we want we can see "rendering in real time with filter" before taking the pic.

I can add that I have/had M9/MM1 for years, very nice combo as "good" as the M240/246.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting a Monochrom would be a fine idea and there's certainly no need to stress about which body to take along.

Here's my approach; if I am heading out for a casual stroll with no definite idea of what - or even if - I'm going to shoot then I'll always take the M-D 262 as it can shoot colour files but if I know I'm going out for some serious snapping I'll take along the M Monochrom as well. I almost never use / print colour snaps - almost everything I shoot with the M-D is converted to monochrome ASAP - but there have been occasions when it's been extremely handy to have the colour option.

Like Arnaud, I also have one black body and one chrome body - except in my case it's the Monochrom which is silver and the M-D which is black.

As far as lenses are concened I don't have dedicated lenses for each body apart from a pair of 7Artisans 50mm f1.1 lenses as each is calibrated for one particular body. Normally the M-D will have a 40mm f1.4 Voigt. Nokton attached and the MM will have a 28mm Elmarit asph. If I'm doing the 'serious' stuff I'll usually also have a 75mm Summarit in a pocket 'just in case'.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Nshah  - what a great topic and discussion to bring up! Thank you! 

It's funny, because I'm currently going through - literally - the exact same thinking right now. A few weeks ago, I had no Leica digital bodies. The only Leica kit I had was my M6 and 35mm/50mm vintage Summicron lenses. I picked up an M240 for a good value, locally, to "dip my toes" in the Leica digital ecosystem and absolutely fell in love - as I knew I would. After some more poking around and self-reflection, the idea of going with a Monochrom was appealing and tempting, so I picked up an M246 from Josh at Leica Miami.

I absolutely love B&W and shoot 85% of my personal family documentary work on B&W (film and digital). I also push for a lot of my professional work in B&W, too. 

So now I'm going through that same debate as you - do I keep the M240 for colour shooting and the M246 for B&W shooting? Or do I offload the M240 and stick with the M246 as my only Leica digital body for now? I have other cameras that I can shoot colour with if/when I want or need to. 

For me - I shoot professionally (weddings and portraits) and have my Fuji kit for that (X-T3, X100V), so I could continue to use that professionally. But - I also could consider switching to a full Leica kit and shoot with an M240/246 combo. 

I think that if I were to entertain a Leica-only kit, I would probably want to keep it pretty simple and have 1 lens on my M246 for B&W and 1 lens on my M240 for colour. I think that's where I am struggling. I don't know if I would want to commit/stick to a 35mm lens only for B&W and vice-versa. So I'd almost want a 50mm on both, I think ... 

Anyway - I'm not decided, as you can see, haha. 

But - for personal work, I 100% plan on just carrying my M246 because it's such a great kit and the B&W rendering is like none-other!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M10 and an original M Monochrom.  I convert most of my M10 photos to b/w, but like to have the option when a color photo presents itself.  I’m quite pleased with b/w conversions with the camera, especially since it provides the flexibility to use color channels in post.  My print sizes are modest, so resolution is more than adequate.  

So why own the MM as well?  The answer is mostly the all-b/w workflow that it provides and the mindset that it promotes.  Having spent 35+ years with film Ms, almost exclusively b/w, I’ve learned to ‘see’ in black and white, but digital can spoil that singular mindset.  If I’m absolutely certain that I want to shoot exclusively in b/w, I will use the MM and keep the M10 away.  And I’ll stay in that mode until my brain gets back in the groove.  Otherwise, I’ll take out the M10.  I don’t carry both together.  Image quality is superb either way (if I do my job well), and although one can debate CCD vs CMOS endlessly, IQ isn’t the driving force for my choice.  I do, however, appreciate the many improvements of the M10 vs M9 platform., but see no need to upgrade to an M10 Monochrom (or M246).  

I also own the SL2, but it sees action when I need focal lengths (or zooms) that the M bodies  (which I use with 28/35/50, RF only) can’t provide, as well as for weather sealing and for different environments and subject matter.

We each have our own styles, preferences and use cases.  Not something that a survey can solve.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I shoot with a few different cameras, depending on the situation.  I normally carry my M10 Monochrom and M10 when I go out, along with a few lenses.  Usually, 28, 35, 50.  I prefer black and white for most of my street photography, but on days or nights when the light is just right, I go for the M10 or SL2.  The 35 Summilux FLE is almost always mounted to the M10M and since there’s almost no weight penalty, the 35 Ultron gets attached to the M10 so I can quickly (ish) grab a color shot if I need to!  I will decide what body I primarily am going to shoot with before I walk out the door, though. 

Options are good!