New MP

Susie

Hello Susie,

no more in "current ordering".

I regret selling my MP x0.85 some years ago.

The clear VF is so nice.

If you want one... in your place, I'd ask Leica.

Sometimes, the "impossible" becomes possible when we ask "hard enough" ( and strong will in paying for that ! ).

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Susie:

Does anyone know if it is currently possible to order a new MP (or an MA) with the 0.85 viewfinder? 

As a.noctilux wrote, I would ask the customer care in Wetzlar. Perhaps they find a way to fit your new MP to your personal needs.

Good luck!

Robert

4 hours ago, Susie said:

Does anyone know if it is currently possible to order a new MP (or an MA) with the 0.85 viewfinder? 

I think the M-A is definitely out because it would not be just a case of installing a 0.85x VF from the parts bin but it would also require an appropriate frame mask. The frame mask for the 0.85 MP isn't suitable because it is designed to accommodate the metering LEDs.

It wouldn't hurt to ask Leica about ordering a 0.85x MP but you'd need to speak to someone with actual influence. I don't think you will get far with any of the shops or the initial point of contact at Wetzlar.

Edited by wattsy
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your replies guys. 

The main reason for considering an 0.85x camera is that I am finding it increasing hard to focus my M6 ( I have a diopter lens added) - my M3 is much easier which I have put down to the higher magnification.  However, the finder on the M6, which I have had from new in 1996, is noticable dimmer, which could be the problem, but Cameraworks did not think it needed servicing, and put me off.  Is the finder on the new generation of cameras brighter do you know?  For me the easiest to focus are the screw mounts, but although the cameras are small, by the time you've added a meter, viewfinders etc the outfit gets big!

16 minutes ago, Susie said:

an 0.85x

A few weeks back Ivor was advertising that they had ordered a last batch of 'a la carte' cameras, I think with 0.85. They are probably all sold/reserved but things change quickly in these crazy times.

How about a magnifier on the eyepiece?

I agree the magnified rangefinder on the LTM's works well, but wouldn't call it easy!

35 minutes ago, Susie said:

The main reason for considering an 0.85x camera is that I am finding it increasing hard to focus my M6 ( I have a diopter lens added) - my M3 is much easier which I have put down to the higher magnification.  However, the finder on the M6, which I have had from new in 1996, is noticable dimmer, which could be the problem, but Cameraworks did not think it needed servicing, and put me off.  Is the finder on the new generation of cameras brighter do you know?  For me the easiest to focus are the screw mounts, but although the cameras are small, by the time you've added a meter, viewfinders etc the outfit gets big!

If you have trouble focussing your M6, my suggestions :

- if not done, try some correction diopters on your M6, at Leica Dealer for example

- what I like with MP/M-A viewfinder is increased contrast comparing to my multiple M6 (the one with 0.85 VF is the worse in patch contrast, and magnifier x1.25/1.4 on M6 0.72 can not help

me for better focus, if only "better framing with 50/75mm" )

- MP/M-A with 0.72 finder can be used with confidence "as is" with lenses like Summilux-M 50mm or even 75mm

- for 50 Noctilux 1.0 full open use, I rely mainly on M3 for film in use and adapt the film choice for this combo, like 3200 ISO if need be

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, Susie said:

When I ordered my M-A back in July this year I did inquire whether it was possible to have it supplied with a .58 viewfinder, ( I rarely shoot an M with lenses longer than 50mm so the wider finder is more desirable ), and I was told that could be possible for an extra charge of around 5-600 Euros. In the end I decided against doing that and took the camera with the standard .72 viewfinder, but maybe if you ask customer service at Wetzlar they will be able to fit a .85, they must have the parts there if only as spares.

The magnifier reduces contrast so makes it harder to focus. I also had problems focusing my M but a new prescription cured that - my eyes had drifted from -6 to -7 after 18 years of stability

With your M6, do you have the updated viewfinder? With the M6 and early M7, the focusing spot could flare out but the MP and later M7 viewfinders did not. I had my M6&7 given new viewfinders for free by Leia. 

It's unfortunate the a la cart program was stopped. I ordered a 0.58 MP 5 years ago and I've been extremely happy with it. The viewfinder is very bright, absolutely gorgeous,  especially the clean 50mm and 35mm frame lines, (I ordered it with 28/90, 35 and 50 frame lines only). I understand a 0.85 viewfinder is advantageous for 50mm+ lenses, but in practice I found I can use my old (1979) Noctilux with no problems even on the 0.58 viewfinder. 

If I had the money the program was still around I would certainly order a 0.85 one to complement it (with 35, 50, 90 frame lines only!). 

• Like 1

I have had a reply similar to Peter Mullett; to whit, buy a standard camera at my local dealer and then send it to Wetzlar for 'repair' to add the 0.85 viewfinder for about £500.  At this rate I'll just have to wait for the M6J 1961-11 to come up for sale!  Thanks for your input though, guys.

36 minutes ago, Susie said:

I have had a reply similar to Peter Mullett; to whit, buy a standard camera at my local dealer and then send it to Wetzlar for 'repair' to add the 0.85 viewfinder for about £500.  At this rate I'll just have to wait for the M6J 1961-11 to come up for sale!  Thanks for your input though, guys.

It's odd that Leica makes you do that.  I recently found out (and posted in a thread on this forum) that one can have their black chrome camera 'converted' to black paint - but only after purchasing a black chrome camera and sending it to the factory for the conversion.  Odd that you just can't order the camera with the viewfinder or finish of choice off the bat.

Am 21.10.2020 um 13:05 schrieb Susie:

I had an 0,85 MP but now a 0,72 . I cannot say I really mis the 0,85 actually it was a bit of a pain especially when wearing glasses. 

If you would like to have a 0,85 . One might buy an 0,72 and let Leica change the viewfinder afterwards. Just ask and you shall receive, after paying about €800,- for the change. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/21/2020 at 10:25 AM, Susie said:

If you’re not opposed to M6 TTL, I frequently see them for sale with .85 viewfinders, some even replaced with MP finders.

Edited by plaidshirts

I would ask David Farkas at the Leica Store in Miami. He got me an.85 VF black paint no engravings MP about 6 months after the ala carte program ended. He seems like he knows all the right people at Leica. Plus he is a nice guy. Now if only I would have kept that beautiful rig.....