SL2-S

nicci78

9 minutes ago, Radost said:

Can you use this MediaInfo (mediaarea.net) ?

Here. You owe me 99 cents 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's H.264 in a Quicktime wrapper, not ProRes. Both are Apple formats, so that's probably why the article confused them.

Leica uses very little compression in their MOV H.264, so that's probably why they are easy to edit. Their MP4 files (which are also H.264) use much higher compression. MOV and MP4 are both data wrappers, so there's no inherent reason why one would be more compressed than the other. I guess Leica thought it would make more sense to save the highly-compressed files in MP4 (which can be played directly on most TVs and devices), and the low-compression files in MOV (which most NLEs will understand).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BernardC said:

That's H.264 in a Quicktime wrapper, not ProRes. Both are Apple formats, so that's probably why the article confused them.

Leica uses very little compression in their MOV H.264, so that's probably why they are easy to edit. Their MP4 files (which are also H.264) use much higher compression. MOV and MP4 are both data wrappers, so there's no inherent reason why one would be more compressed than the other. I guess Leica thought it would make more sense to save the highly-compressed files in MP4 (which can be played directly on most TVs and devices), and the low-compression files in MOV (which most NLEs will understand).

Is the leica using the panasonic AVC intra codec that compresses each frame?

4 hours ago, Steven said:

Are there any added tools that let you nail focus faster, or you just mean the bigger and brighter screen ?

The focus peaking is a bit easier to see during takes/movement. Dont get me wrong it works fine in the wonderful EVF, too. Hover, just like grain, it does diminish when you hit record, on SL2 at least.

I had a blast maual focussing for video since the Linear update on my 24-90... reminds me on my days with the Leica R7 and R8. Except its easier :)

Crazy to think I learned with slide film iso50 or 400 and now I feel "bad" because my 47mp camera doesnt perform as good as the 24mp one at 6400iso 🤪

Edited by Slender
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Radost said:

Is the leica using the panasonic AVC intra codec that compresses each frame?

You get quite a choice. The specifications mention ALL-I (intra-frame) for 400 Mbps, and Long GOP (inter-frame) for 150 Mbps and lower.

Those specs are a nightmare to read. Here is what I can make out of them:

In MOV (Quicktime), 10-Bit, 4:2:2, you can record "C4K" (4096x2160, a.k.a. DCI 4K) at 24, 25, or 29.97 fps. Or you can record "4K" (3840x2160, a.k.a. UHD) at 23.98, 25 and 29.97 fps.

59.94 fps internal is always 8-Bit 4:2:0 Long-GOP.

Notice that C4K records at 24 fps, whereas 4K UHD records at 23.98 (which is the North American colour television frame rate). You may run into issues if you use both in the same project, although editing software is better than it used to be at fixing that.

MP4 is always Long-GOP and 4:2:0 8-Bit.

External recorders can record ALL-I 4:2:2 10-Bit (in ProRes or DNxHR), so that's your option if you want to shoot 59.94 fps in 10-Bit HDR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

You get quite a choice. The specifications mention ALL-I (intra-frame) for 400 Mbps, and Long GOP (inter-frame) for 150 Mbps and lower.

Those specs are a nightmare to read. Here is what I can make out of them:

In MOV (Quicktime), 10-Bit, 4:2:2, you can record "C4K" (4096x2160, a.k.a. DCI 4K) at 24, 25, or 29.97 fps. Or you can record "4K" (3840x2160, a.k.a. UHD) at 23.98, 25 and 29.97 fps.

Notice that C4K records at 24 fps, whereas 4K UHD records at 23.98 (which is the North American colour television frame rate). You may run into issues if you use both in the same project, although editing software is better than it used to be at fixing that.

MP4 is always Long-GOP and 4:2:0 8-Bit.

External recorders can record ALL-I 4:2:2 10-Bit (in ProRes or DNxHR), so that's your option if you want to shoot 59.94 fps in 10-Bit HDR.

I was hoping for internal  prores. 

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

@BernardC This what are you saying is true for now.

But when they release the firmware update it will be a different story, 4K 10Bit 60p/50p with internal recording will be included.

New Autofocus algorithm Improved eye/face/head/body recognition and focus tracking.
HEVC video compression  Internal 4K recording with 10 Bit at 60p/50p with h.265 codec.
Long-GOP  Recording for 10 Bit codecs with 150 – 200 MB/s means same Image Quality as All-Intra but less than half of data size.
Segmented Video Videorecording will be split 1 minute segments to avoid data loss.
Individual Viewing LUT  Upload function for individual Look Up Tables.
Enhanced Live View Better low light image composition control of the Live View image.
Image Overlay Allows alignment of the camera position on basis of a previous taken image, that is displayed in a transparent mode in the EVF or on the LCD.
Automatic Follow Focus Definition of three focus points for automatic focus shift during video recording.
Wave form monitor Professional exposure valuation of the video signal.
Color bar Reference for correct color grading and sound control in postproduction.
Tally Mode

Camera shows red frame on LCD during video recording.

All those things looks like a pretty significant  update to me.

You can check link here:

https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Leica-SL2-S/Firmware

Edited by Svetozar

4K is hard enough on most machine without a prores workflow... and who can really enjoy 6K content anyway? Perhaps they keep this as a suprise hattrick for later with raw output... or for a more expensive SL2 SP (or C ine) version 😜

This would get rid of all thing allialing and moire, by the way. I really would like to see some footage of fine detailed object shot in FF vs APS-s (pixel mix vs full pixel readout0 on this camera