SL2-S

nicci78

vor einer Stunde schrieb la1402:

Thanks, indeed, that is what I found so far, too. What is strange that the amount of variation seems completley unpredictable. These two pictures are shot within 5 seconds, same position, same camera settings. All DNG imported in Lightroom with Adobe standard profile. The difference is 350K in color temperature and 7 steps of Tint (-1 vs +6).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not sure I can repeat your test. What I can do is shoot the SL2S next to the S5 and the α7III with the same lens.

Pretty positive review here and I'm definitely warming to the SL2-S now and might well order one, the issue it sort of raises is the the SL2 at the limit of what they can do with he processor, 47mb and the AF performance? He appears pretty positive about the SL2-S AF performance and was pretty realistic about the SL2 when it came out. He also like the colours/IQ as well as the video output. Definitely growing on me....

Screengrab from a video file trying to teach my jewish daughter some Christmas tradition earlier today: ISO 6400. It couldn't see that much obviously with my own eyes. Compression doesn't do it justice, but my A7SIII at this ISO would have given me a disgusting image. Also, this is HLG profile, so rather flat on purpose, in order to grade in post. 

I am everyday more impressed with the SL2-S. 

Edited by Steven
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Graded to my liking. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, la1402 said:

Testing and shooting over the last 10 days I somehow think that AWB is often much more off than I am used to from other brands. Especially under artifical lights and overcast skies I have have a much stronger magenta/pink tint than usually. I am aware AWB is not a very reliable method, but sometimes it can be useful and I find the extent to which the SL2S is off much worse  than I have seen in many years. Is this normal with Leica? Just some examples. First two with a manual simulation that is closer to reality. In the last one with the girl and dog, the jpg out of camera actually looks much better than the dng. No keepers affected in these examples, but anway irritating. Summicron-M 35 in all cases.

Problem solved. After still getting pretty bad results with several tests of manual WB measurements and settings, I digged deeper into the SW and found that, even though I had set LR to apply the Adobe Color Profile, it actually did not do that but apparently always used the embedded profile. I could not fix that but actually needed to remove all Adobe SW and reinstall. Now things look much much better. There is still a tendency for cooler colours, but that is fine with me. Skin tones are ok now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, la1402 said:

Problem solved. After still getting pretty bad results with several tests of manual WB measurements and settings, I digged deeper into the SW and found that, even though I had set LR to apply the Adobe Color Profile, it actually did not do that but apparently always used the embedded profile. I could not fix that but actually needed to remove all Adobe SW and reinstall. Now things look much much better. There is still a tendency for cooler colours, but that is fine with me. Skin tones are ok now.

Even better if you make your own profile. Easy with a ColorChecker Passport or similar.

Jeff

New crude comparison between M10P/R/SL2/SL2S @ ISO6400

SL2S has best DR and colors on high iso by wide margin. For my eye, M10R is next, followed by SL2 and worst is the M10P which loses colors severely and even underexpose about 2/3rd of the stop.

M:s are shot slightly in different light form the SL as the kids hassled the lights between the shots and didn't notice during the shoot...

In my humble opinion, SL2S is the first Leica body where I don't feel like I'm trading optical excellence to the other features what other systems has (excluding AF on moving subjects).

I have depleted the battery first time, and about 1000 shots later - no burst problems even on low battery. The battery life is like specs says in real life, near double to the SL2.

1. M10P
2. M10R
3. SL2
4. SL2S

Edited by oka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Screengrab from a video file trying to teach my jewish daughter some Christmas tradition earlier today: ISO 6400. It couldn't see that much obviously with my own eyes. Compression doesn't do it justice, but my A7SIII at this ISO would have given me a disgusting image. Also, this is HLG profile, so rather flat on purpose, in order to grade in post. 

I am everyday more impressed with the SL2-S. 

It's striking how well SL2S retains the colors on high iso where other bodies start to lose and shift the colors. From the Leica bodies the difference is huge, it's interesting see how it stacks up with the Canon and Nikon which I'll test in next couple weeks.

1 hour ago, la1402 said:

I have posted some low natural light images in the SL2-S image thread, and don't see too much magenta cast. I actually felt the Adobe Colour profile was overcooking the colours. I found that Adobe Standard was more natural.

How did you know that LR was using the embedded profile and not Adobe Colour? As far as I could see LR was selecting its own profile (Adobe Colour by default).

Edited by LocalHero1953

12 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have posted some low natural light images in the SL2-S image thread, and don't see too much magenta cast. I actually felt the Adobe Colour profile was overcooking the colours. I found that Adobe Standard was more natural.

How did you know that LR was using the embedded profile and not Adobe Colour? As far as I could see LR was selecting its own profile (Adobe Colour by default).

For me Color or  Standard depends a bit on the situation. I found the issue by trying to play with other profiles, and on some of them got a warning "profile missing". which I could not resolve. All good now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SJH said:

Pretty positive review here and I'm definitely warming to the SL2-S now and might well order one, the issue it sort of raises is the the SL2 at the limit of what they can do with he processor, 47mb and the AF performance? He appears pretty positive about the SL2-S AF performance and was pretty realistic about the SL2 when it came out. He also like the colours/IQ as well as the video output. Definitely growing on me....

It's unlikely that the SL2 processor is already at its limits. It should be on par with the Panasonic and what we see in the S1R line. 

Also don't forget that the 47mp Q2 is powered by a previous generation of the SL2 processor, the Maestro II, and it works well with the 47mp of that camera (a bit less well with AF...)

From what I read about the Panasonic update, much of the upcoming AF improvements has to do with algorhitm optimizations rather than pure horsepower requirements.

Here are shots at ISO 25000 and ISO 50000. These are DNG straght out of the camera. I only had the camera to wander around a shopping centre with, and Sydney's Queen Victoria Building is extremely well lit, so the stairwell was about the only place I could find that was remotely dark. 

• Like 5

And here is ISO 25000, again DNG staight out of camera. 

While I doubt anyone is going to shoot at these ISO levels, and suspect that pulling shadow at this ISO would be a disaster, the SL2-S is amazingly competent in terms of still producing excellent colour and noise that is not unpleasant, even at extreme ISO levels. I'm impressed. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Alistairm said:

And here is ISO 25000, again DNG staight out of camera. 

While I doubt anyone is going to shoot at these ISO levels, and suspect that pulling shadow at this ISO would be a disaster, the SL2-S is amazingly competent in terms of still producing excellent colour and noise that is not unpleasant, even at extreme ISO levels. I'm impressed. 

Can you share the DNG of this picture?

On 12/22/2020 at 1:32 AM, Slender said:

I am surprised you say the SL2s footage is less sharp than the sony... All sample I saw on the sony were softer than say, anything fron EOS or else than use oversampling or binning from a larger pixel count sensor. vs 1:1 from Sony... Have you seen the footage of the Parrots from the RedDot presentation ? it is so crips I have a hard time imagining Sony can do better. It is even too sharp for subject other than nature/landscape.... wouldn't miss on make up if I was in front lol 😇

I see a lot of moiré on the Parrots. I hope the original file does not look that bad