SL2-S

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Short answer: no.

Long answer: there's more than just the base sensor involved. Each customer defines their own colour filter array (which tips the balance between colour accuracy and low-light sensitivity), filter stack composition (IR cutoff, thickness), micro-lenses, cooling, colour science, pre-processing stack, etc.

Leaving aside the issue of micro-lenses (which is an obvious way in which Leica's sensors work better with M lenses), Sony tends to have more built-in smoothing at high ISO, and lower colour sensitivity, compared to other Sony Semi customers like Fuji, Hasselblad, PhaseOne, etc...

great info, thanks. I got the answer now. an SL2 S is waiting for me at the shop. I am hoping it can replace my Sony in the role of the hybrid body, but im worried about the lack of tilt screen for manual focus, and about the quality of the video. I really didn't like what came out of the SL2 in terms of video (AF performance aside). I wonder if the SL2 has improved it. 

Anyone have any thoughts on how this might handle astrophotography?  I've tried to use my SL2 (which I mostly use for landscape) but have been disappointed in the results.  I've been considering one of the Sony models, but would prefer to not mix systems if I can keep from it.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

great info, thanks. I got the answer now. an SL2 S is waiting for me at the shop. I am hoping it can replace my Sony in the role of the hybrid body, but im worried about the lack of tilt screen for manual focus, and about the quality of the video. I really didn't like what came out of the SL2 in terms of video (AF performance aside). I wonder if the SL2 has improved it. 

This article lists many FW updates that Leica plans to introduce in 2021, including video related features:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/12/leica-sl2-s-announced/

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

This article lists many FW updates that Leica plans to introduce in 2021, including video related features:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/12/leica-sl2-s-announced/

Jeff

Any idea if these updates will trickle into the SL2 or even SL? Would really be handy

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Any idea if these updates will trickle into the SL2 or even SL? Would really be handy

Haven’t seen anything; likely only Leica/insiders know. Announcing FW update plans is uncharacteristic of Leica, which is typically silent on the subject (although they did give advance notice on the SL2’s multi-shot mode and linear/accelerated manual focus choice).  But I would guess that the SL2, at least, will receive those that are feasible and compatible with its design goals.  

Jeff

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Haven’t seen anything; likely only Leica/insiders know. Announcing FW update plans is uncharacteristic of Leica, which is typically silent on the subject (although they did give advance notice on the SL2’s multi-shot mode and linear/accelerated manual focus choice).  But I would guess that the SL2, at least, will receive those that are feasible and compatible with its design goals.  

Jeff

Considering that both the SL2 and SL2-S have the same Maestro III processor and basically the only difference between the SL2 and the SL2-S is the sensor, it would be a commercial suicide and/or pure greed not to include these upgrades in the SL2.

But the SL2-S has only 24mp vs the 47mp of the SL2, so I expect the SL2-S to have better AF performances.

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Considering that both the SL2 and SL2-S have the same Maestro III processor and basically the only difference between the SL2 and the SL2-S is the sensor, it would be a commercial suicide and/or pure greed not to include these upgrades in the SL2.

But the SL2-S has only 24mp vs the 47mp of the SL2, so I expect the SL2-S to have better AF performances.

In theory, that should be the case. We'll see more feedback later.

19 hours ago, Cattoo said:

Anyone have any thoughts on how this might handle astrophotography?  I've tried to use my SL2 (which I mostly use for landscape) but have been disappointed in the results.  I've been considering one of the Sony models, but would prefer to not mix systems if I can keep from it.

I can only guess. As the sensor goes up to iso 100k it is probably better suited than the 47 MP sensor. But it depends also on the lens used. The Leica zooms are not so great for it (16-35 or 24-70). I heard the Sigma are better (f2/24-50 or 14-24, do not know about the 24-70). I heard also the Otus 28mm is great (alas a bit expensive) :rolleyes:

Which lens did you use ?

Edited by caissa

11 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

That depends. CDAF speed mainly relies on the read out speed of the sensor and speed of the processor. Pixel count isn't so important. For example the Panasonic S1 doesn't focus dramatically differently to the S1R, which is really the comparison we have here with the SL2 and 2S. There *may* be real world differences but I'm not sure what the differences in power are between the Panny and Leica processors. Software can be important too as the recent Panny upgrades have shown.

It'd be great to see some improvements and they may come but I would suspect we might get close to the Panny S5. Dramatic improvements will come with newer hardware generations.

Gordon

4 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

That depends. CDAF speed mainly relies on the read out speed of the sensor and speed of the processor. Pixel count isn't so important. For example the Panasonic S1 doesn't focus dramatically differently to the S1R, which is really the comparison we have here with the SL2 and 2S. There *may* be real world differences but I'm not sure what the differences in power are between the Panny and Leica processors. Software can be important too as the recent Panny upgrades have shown.

It'd be great to see some improvements and they may come but I would suspect we might get close to the Panny S5. Dramatic improvements will come with newer hardware generations.

Gordon

After trying the AF on the sl2s today, I can report that it is still as bad as the sl2. Sorry to disappoint. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caissa said:

I can only guess. As the sensor goes up to iso 100k it is probably better suited than the 47 MP sensor. But it depends also on the lens used. The Leica zooms are not so great for it (16-35 or 24-70). I heard the Sigma are better (f2/24-50 or 14-24, do not know about the 24-70). I heard also the Otus 28mm is great (alas a bit expensive) :rolleyes:

I use the Sigma 14mm 1.8 ART.  It's a huge bulbous lens but great for this kind of work.