nicci78

SL2-S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

just an actual recap of the SL2 stats on video / crop / formats from the manual

I son't know if it's been mentioned, but many originally thought the sensor would be the same as the S5. The SL2-S apparently uses a 24.6 MP BSI sensor and the Panasonic uses a 24.2 MP sensor that doesn't seem to be BSI.  For some this may be interesting.  

My apologies if this has been mentioned - I didn't go. through all 21 pages of the thread.

I’m curious about the BSI CMOS Sensor and have this question as it relates to still photography.

Since it is suppose to collect more light, it should provide higher resolution without the drop in low-light performance that is associated with high megapixel, right? So presumably in the SL-2s the BSI CMOS sensor and larger pixel size at 24.6 MP should result in high performance in low light conditions with reduced noise?

I got an email early from a vendor that misprogrammed the timezone of their embargo...

It is basically a 24mp cine-centric SL2, emphasis on it having a high-sensitivity sensor.
So Leica's answer to the Panny S1H / Sony A7s line.

Embargo tends to end at 9 am NY time, in 20 mins.  LeicaRumors just reprints a Google translate of Nokishita.  Wait a few more minutes and your email inbox will overflow.  Jono Slack has an empty slot on his home page so I assume he will have an article.  Yep, it's up now.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

There's an "Evolution of Leica SL System" event announced by Leica for 12pm NY time today.. so that is when I expect embargo to end, but who knows.

Jono’s review is now posted on his home page.  I’ll leave it to him to post it here in the forum; otherwise I would provide the link.

Jeff

Loving all these updates, reviews and press release details so far. Extra excited to see that this is already available! If there's anyone out there who is able, I'd love to know if this body has, or will have, the ability to record in ProRes Raw (i.e. through an external recorder like the Atomos Ninja V). I am unsure who to ask, so just putting this question into the world!

I understand Leica gave their answer around limiting this feature on the SL2 because of high megapixel count, and the SL2-S seems to be their answer. Will the Leica SL2-S allow prores raw recording? 

23 hours ago, Slender said:

just an actual recap of the SL2 stats on video / crop / formats from the manual

I am pretty sure that the first line is wrong here, which is odd, considering it looks like an official specs sheet.
There is no 8K / no crop full scan mode on the SL2, otherwise it would be a highly advertised feature.

The 5K video is a pixel-to-pixel (1:1) crop of the sensor, and it is in 4:3 aspect ratio. So the crop factor in 5K mode regarding sensor width is 1.67x so slightly higher than APS-C
It is optimal for shooting with anamorphic lenses, although I think it needs an external monitor to desqueeze the image.

So yes, going back to the SL2-S
Not only is it a bit cheaper than I expected, but a good deal better for video use.

Edited by padam

24 minutes ago, Aaron Daniel said:

Loving all these updates, reviews and press release details so far. Extra excited to see that this is already available! If there's anyone out there who is able, I'd love to know if this body has, or will have, the ability to record in ProRes Raw (i.e. through an external recorder like the Atomos Ninja V). I am unsure who to ask, so just putting this question into the world!

I understand Leica gave their answer around limiting this feature on the SL2 because of high megapixel count, and the SL2-S seems to be their answer. Will the Leica SL2-S allow prores raw recording? 

I'm a stills photographer so the way I solve the video portion of this camera is to shoot 24 fps in DNG. Staying in Photo mode. So I would consider it a fantastic camera just for that reason. Not for long form shooting but short run and gun clips. While I was expecting this sooner or later but almost unlimited shooting except by card size is awesome. Totally wowed by this.