SL2-S

nicci78

What are the odds it's just a body color designation and now the SL line will be available in a silver finish?

On the M side of the world, they have used
-R as a higher resolution designation
-E as a lower cost designation 

So maybe Sensitivity or Sport or something like that if it's not just the finish color

1 minute ago, steveBK said:

What are the odds it's just a body color designation and now the SL line will be available in a silver finish?

I can’t think of other official naming designations, other than informal marketing distinctions, for colors/finishes on Leica bodies.  That would require loads of names.

Jeff

I've noticed in Japan that there are frequently designations of finish color in the model number (even when they only come in 1 color!!) that are not exposed in US market.

For example the Sony A7 series I have seen them designated as ILCE-7M3K where in US markets it's usually just marketed as ILCE-7M3.

https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003833561/?cateno=200003

vs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1394217-REG/sony_ilce_7m3_alpha_a7_iii_mirrorless.html

I only bring this up as the source of the rumor is a Japanese site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It certainly not a colour designation. 

I am pretty sure that it is a 24MP variant. With the same sensor as S1. Just with the same SL2 body. Otherwise the name would have been completely different. For example SL10

That would explain why in France, Leica store is currently selling demo units of SL at 1890€ only with 2 years of warranty. 

They never reach such a low price before. It may be time to make room for brand new IBIS 24MP SL2-S. 

Perfect line up for holiday 2020 😌 

• SL2-S - 24MP - IBIS - colour - to be used mainly with zoom lenses
  • Q2 Monochrom - 47MP - OIS - B&W - crop as you wish prime lens
Edited by nicci78
  • Like 5

Personally I would be very interested in a all manual focus version of the SL2 system.

As I have  few R and M lenses as well as Zeiss Milvas ZF lenses that I could use on it, not interested in the SL AF lenses.

Of course it must be optimised for MF shooting, this could very well get me back into the Leica system.

So why spend heeps of dollars on a camera's auto focus system that I will never use, just good MF confirmation is all I need.

So Leica if you want more of my money give me that requirement

Dreaming..

• Thanks 1

I would be kind of upset if it is a major step-up from the SL2.... worse still with a newer/better EVF... that is me being selfish of course.

I just want it to be an S5, S1 version, simplified and cheaper for people to get onboard the SL bandwaggon.

What about an APS-C SL for a nimble, powerfull successor to the CL?

If it is, in fact, a similar sensor to the S1 I would consider adding it to my SL2.  I do a fair amount of low light/night photography and the sensor of the S1 excels in those areas.  I had the S1 with the SL2 for a bit, but I didn't like the menus or button layout.  Cleaner high ISO performance would be welcome.