SL2-S

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Chaemono said:

In a way, it’s a Sony 24 MPx BSI low-light sensor for M lenses. Can’t wait for Steve Huff‘s review.

Well, he will find it great (the greatest camera he ever used), this is quite predictable.   :unsure::DB)

If users have several Leicas then they buy maybe both. But users with a single camera will probably still prefer the SL2 (at least I would).

11 hours ago, steveBK said:

From the photos and now specs it basically appears to be SL2 body with 24mp sensor.

Whether it is the same 24mp sensor as original SL, and what Maestro processor is an interesting questions.

The Nokishita release answers that.  BSI (new) sensor and Maestro III processor.  Plus IBIS.  The processor upgrade is not all that relevant for stills, since the M10-R does just fine with its Maestro I, and the SL with a Maestro II.  Of course, Leica is not handing out detailed specs of their SOC co-designs.  We don't know whether the step up to the III involves more performance, lower power or both.  But it will be nice not to have to remember where things are hidden in the SL's four-button interface, so having a nearly identical UI will be nice.

edit:  I see that the SL2 uses Maestro III (which comes with 4 GB buffer).  Still, I'll be curious to see if the -S does a  better job on battery life.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

2 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:The processor upgrade is not all that relevant for stills, since the M10-R does just fine with its Maestro I, and the SL with a Maestro II.  

DFD based autofocus constructs a 3D images of the scene to find the correct focus plane. It is a computationally expensive algorithm.

Do you think a faster processor could speed up the autofocus or is the speed limited by how fast the motors can move the various optical groups?

1 minute ago, laowai_ said:

DFD based autofocus constructs a 3D images of the scene to find the correct focus plane. It is a computationally expensive algorithm.

Do you think a faster processor could speed up the autofocus or is the speed limited by how fast the motors can move the various optical groups?

Currently the image processor is the bottleneck. A faster processor will speed up the autofocus, but at the same time it will also drink more battery juice.

However, as technology evolve, better sensor optimizations, better batteries and optimized AF algorithms will help to reduce power consumption.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 5:23 PM, ZHNL said:

I hope it has flip screen. This is the only feature I desperately need it from SL2. 
I will wait for this one or S5. 

If the Fotos APP would be working well, maybe one would not need a flip screen? 

This might even be better than a flip screen when you are too far away from the camera to clearly see a relatively small built-in screen.

Personally why would  they put out a 24mp FF camera when they are already using 40+mp in their full frame cameras. Doesn’t seem to make a compelling buy - how is that materially better than a SL or CL. 

Now if it’s  size were between the SL AND CL you have something to replace the APS-C line as it seems to be dying a slow death for Leica. I would miss my CL only if it’s replacement came at the cost of it’s portability for travel and just carrying a camera when out and about. 

There are tons of people who believe in spirits. Personally, I like Steve Huff‘s enthusiastic and positive style of reviewing. He likes to sell gear, for sure, but he is independent of manufacturers. If low-light performance of a sensor stinks, he’ll say so. If pushing files creates banding, he’ll point it out. I’m surprised he hasn’t reviewed the S5, yet, but I’m sure he’ll do so with the SL2-S.

Its not about believing in spirits, or in trees having souls (I sure respects this) but about selling people in deep grief make-shif apparatuses with bits and bobs of radios, ipads and fairy lights for thousands of dollars "so that they can hear from their loved ones from the other side". Better hope for him hell doesnt exist in the after life 😇.

Coming back to SL2s, I like the paintless engraving... makes me wanna grab cotton buds and rubbing alcohool to do the same on my SL2 😅. The huge white lettering is a bit garish at times indeed... I already paid for the product, not being paid to promote the brand 🙄

And 24mp from 2020 (ok Nicci78, its a Sony BSI sensor from Feb. 2018, we know 😌) are not the same as 24mp from 2015, especially with IBIS, better Iso and AF. I hope the LUTS for V-Log and additional video tools from S5 (waveform, among others) and Capture one Tethering (lightroom anyone ?) will also be transferred via firmware to the more expensive SL2 brother (the price gap has to be justified more than just 47mp and lesser hi-iso in still/video...). Otherwise I might just "trade down" for the new one 🤯

Edited by Slender
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

I‘m surprised no one has mentioned the dual native ISO of the S5. The S1 and the S5 share the same 2018 Sony BSI sensor, but the S5 is virtually free of pushed shadows noise from ISO 640 to 3200 and shows very little at ISO 6400. 

Is the S5 better at HIGH ISO than the S1?

vor einer Stunde schrieb Donzo98:

Is the S5 better at HIGH ISO than the S1?

When you push the shadows all the way at ISO 640, for example, the S5 shows no noise whatsoever. As if the picture was taken at ISO 100. The S5 is like FF low-light perfection with the SL lenses. The RAW files can be downloaded: 

My current collection of camera is: 

-Q2: it's my everyday, carry around, stills beast. When I want to travel light, I usually take it too. 

-M10R: when I need something very compact that fits in my pocket (with a small lens), when I want to look cool, or when I simply want to go out and enjoy taking slow paced photos. 

-A7SIII with adapted M lenses. This is my all rounder. The camera that can do it all. Exceptional stills, exceptional video, exceptional AF, exceptional MF. Why am I telling you this here? Because its also exceptional in low light. Exceptional is not even the word. It's out of this world for low light. It sees in the dark. It takes noiseless photos at 25k ISO, or up. 6400 looks like the 800 from my Q2. My point is that sometimes lower MP has excellent advantages. I love to have the flexibility of MP but after being obsessed with it I realised that 99% of the time I don't need it at all. In fact, after a lot of testing, I realised that the 12MP on my A7SIII are enough, because the sensor is mind-blowing. The truth is that it is the camera I am using the most right now because it never fails me, and M lenses on the sony now work perfectly. All that to say that I have been enjoying a lot embracing lower MPs these days I think that a 24MP SL2S might be even nicer to use than an SL2. I can see it being a huge success a best seller, since it will be the "hybrid" all rounder Leica. 

My goal is to one day be able to get rid of my A7SIII and replace it with a Leica to complete my Leica Trinity. But the SL2 is not the one that can make me forget my A7SIII. Although I fear the bad AF in video, it seems like the SL2S is going to get closer to this.

Not sure if this was an interesting or meaningful contribution, but I hope it helped a few. If, not sorry for wasting time. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, laowai_ said:

If the Fotos APP would be working well, maybe one would not need a flip screen? 

This might even be better than a flip screen when you are too far away from the camera to clearly see a relatively small built-in screen.

The problem is it doesn’t. I even bought a setup for my iPhone can put on top. It is just too slow and cumbersome to use. I don’t even use it anymore. 

TBH, this one is a hard sale. If it is 4000-4500, maybe. 

I think it is a quite unnecessary intro. 

FWIW, despite all the negativity here, I will get the SL2-S when it becomes available in Australia… probably in July 2021 😃

Have been quite happy with the SL TYP 601, but the inclusion of IBIS and much (?) better high ISO is just what I need.

Never really warmed to the SL2.  Too expensive, too battery hungry, too many pixels.  I have the Sony A7RII and A7RIV for large MPixel stuff, so the Leica is for HQ images.

IMO, YMMV etc.

• Like 1