SL2-S

nicci78

32 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

The most interesting part : full support of CaptureOne 21 tethered shooting. 
Is that mean that Leica will finally partnering with PhaseOne for special version of C1 ? 

Getting tethered shooting working means having good remote control and live view over USB.  Maybe this will help Fotos and the camera firmware evolve together so that they finally work.  Leica has so far kept the two efforts separate and has not succeeded to synchronize them.  The result is several sensible things that Fotos just can't do, like set up and trigger a multishot high res photo, or run continuously.  These don't work yet because the tablet/phone software and the camera firmware both have to change.  Originally Fotos looked as if its strategic role was to enable LightRoom on a tablet or iPhone, letting Adobe do all the hard work.  Leica suddenly showing the ability to work with CaptureOne/PhaseOne suggests maybe Adobe wasn't such a great friend after all.

If correct, this product configuration makes good sense to me  What was not going to happen on the SL2 -- great video for 4K (47+ MPx is just a waste of computation).  What does "everyone" offer on a 24 MPx platform that the SL hadn't caught up with?  IBIS, BSI, good 10-bit internal video codecs.  Done!!

Some one asked about a page ago what was the subtle change between SL and SL2-S pictures?  It looks like the GPS bump has gone.  I'll bet the finger hold and the battery from the SL2 are still the same, but maybe they saved a few EUR on the leather covering.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Michael Markey said:

I heard it is smaller that the SL2 .

Could this be the CL2 ?

No, it is exactly the same size. The weight is 931g as opposed to 928g on the SL2.
I assume this is because they've improved the passive cooling on the sensor to be able to record FF video with a 6K readout.
It will have the higher bitrate 400Mbps internal codec over what's in the Panasonic cameras that are under the S1H.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

I heard it is smaller that the SL2 .

Could this be the CL2 ?

Leica rumors has absolutely no clue about anything. Since their CM fiasco. They are only reporting Nokhishita news. 
So that are once again wrong. They did not even try to call a Leica store. As they already told their customers one month ago. That SL2-S was same as SL2 with 24MP. 

So just forget about Leica rumors and follow Nokhishita Twitter account and keep a good relationship with your resellers. And you will know everything in advance. 

Don’t be fooled those rumours come from Leica PR to Nokhishita. Just to build up momentum for launch day. 

By the way, CL2 will be release in spring 2021. Once again just ask nicely to your Leica store. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hillavoider said:

Meh...   what a bore they are not even trying with the SL system

wheres the 21, 24, 28 Crons FFS 

Seriously, I’m getting very fed up with the ridiculous wait time on these. For over two years my wallet has been open for the 21 and 28. 

The SL2-S is not really interesting for me. I do not need 25 FPS and ISO 100000 I will never use. And 24 MP is what everybody offers today, if it had at least 36 or 40 MP (think about the price of 5K or thereabouts).

Maybe it is excellent for video, but how large is this user group ? For me this is just an add-on. Is this really better than the S1H ?

It will be interesting to see the AFc performance and if it will be clearly improved. But I expect that the SL2 with the same processor will also be improved. And then it remains to be seen if the difference is really noticeable.

What I really like is that “LEICA” is now in black. They should keep it this way in all future cameras. But this is just a marginal improvement ....

As a second camera (which is currently the SL) the S5 with the smaller body is probably still more interesting, sorry.

Edited by caissa

16 hours ago, cboy said:

Any size comparison between the previous sl2?

Now that a more portable sized sl wil be soon available, do you folks see a likelyhood of a M mount autofocus adapter  for the L mount system? 

Id think the adapter and sl2-s would be a perfect pairing for transitioning into SL/ L mount

The megadap looks interesting, but is for Z cameras. (With AFs And AFc). They could probably also offer it for Lmount, IF Leica agreed ?!   Looks sturdier than Techart. It works with PDAF, would it also work with DFD ?

Mentioned on LR: https://leicarumors.com/2020/11/07/the-autofocus-adapter-for-leica-m-lenses-on-nikon-z-cameras-is-now-available-for-purchase-megadap-mtz11-leica-m-to-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter.aspx/

Edited by caissa

21 minutes ago, caissa said:

The SL2-S is not really interesting for me. I do not need 25 FPS and ISO 100000 I will never use. And 24 MP is what everybody offers today, if it had at least 36 or 40 MP (think about the price of 5K or thereabouts).

In other words, you want them to discount the current SL2? That will surely happen, but by then we will be swimming in SL3 rumours...

12 hours ago, Jeff S said:

But I’d prefer the benefits of the SL2’s IBIS, focus aids, etc for handheld work, as the S would mostly be tripod based, which is becoming increasingly rare for me.

The S is great handheld, that's what it was designed to do. The 007 and S3 are especially great; they can pull clean images at nearly ISO 6400 and beyond. A lot of people will tell you that you "need" IBIS and, other technologies, to take any kind of picture. That's simply not true. Have a look at what photographers were doing 100 years ago, with ISO-12-equivalent film and bulky cameras, and ask yourself if you should believe marketeers who tell you that those things are impossible without the latest gizmo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BernardC said:

The S is great handheld, that's what it was designed to do. The 007 and S3 are especially great; they can pull clean images at nearly ISO 6400 and beyond. A lot of people will tell you that you "need" IBIS and, other technologies, to take any kind of picture. That's simply not true. Have a look at what photographers were doing 100 years ago, with ISO-12-equivalent film and bulky cameras, and ask yourself if you should believe marketeers who tell you that those things are impossible without the latest gizmo.

I don’t rely on reviews or marketing. And I’ve been shooting since the 70’s with formats ranging from 35mm to medium format to 4x5 and 8x10, always doing my own processing, printing, matting and framing. 

I tested the S006 for a week, using the S zoom, and was disappointed with handheld results in anything but good light. I knew that the S007, especially with a prime, would have given me a much better outcome, but the prices at that time were far greater than now. Later, I similarly tested the SL2 with zooms, and was immediately pleased. The zoom quality and flexibility (with both 24-90 and 90-280) were far better than the S zoom, and with OIS in addition to IBIS, provided remarkable handholding flexibility...and at relative bargain prices.  

Before ultimately buying the SL2 system, I tested (made pics and prints) with the S007 (again with zoom), X1D system, Nikon Z7 system, Fuji GFX 50 system, and the original SL.   For MY shooting needs and tastes, the SL2 was the clear favorite.  Nothing to do with marketing or forum comments.  

As for the S3, I would never pay full retail prices for a new S system given the trajectory of the system and the dreadful, IMHO, way Leica handled the lens AF motor failures. But that’s just me.  I understand why current S system owners might have a different take.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 minutes ago, caissa said:

No, I mean only 24 MP for 5K is very steep. (When everybody else charges 2K).

That can be said for any Leica for a given megapixel count, only the S1 has a similarly high-level EVF in it and it is a bit more crippled in terms of software features and it does not have the sensor optimised to use with older glass (and it is more common, these cameras are not designed to be common).
The SL used to cost more than this and didn't have nearly as much features, even compared to an M10-P it does not look like it gives very little for the money, the size and weight increase is more justified compared to the original SL considering that besides the dual card slots there is also IBIS, and advanced video (as opposed to 0 video).

It may become the best Leica for photo/video for quite a while, despite not being their most expensive model.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I don’t rely on reviews or marketing. And I’ve been shooting since the 70’s with formats ranging from 35mm to medium format to 4x5 and 8x10, always doing my own processing, printing, matting and framing. 

I tested the S006 for a week, using the S zoom, and was disappointed with handheld results in anything but good light. I knew that the S007, especially with a prime, would have given me a much better outcome, but the prices at that time were far greater than now. Later, I similarly tested the SL2 with zooms, and was immediately pleased. The zoom quality and flexibility (with both 24-90 and 90-280) were far better than the S zoom, and with OIS in addition to IBIS, provided remarkable handholding flexibility...and at relative bargain prices.  

Before ultimately buying the SL2 system, I tested (made pics and prints) with the S007 (again with zoom), X1D system, Nikon Z7 system, Fuji GFX 50 system, and the original SL.   For MY shooting needs and tastes, the SL2 was the clear favorite.  Nothing to do with marketing or forum comments.  

As for the S3, I would never pay full retail prices for a new S system given the trajectory of the system and the dreadful, IMHO, way Leica handled the lens AF motor failures. But that’s just me.  I understand why current S system owners might have a different take.

Jeff

That is the voice of reason, and I wouldn't criticise it - it's what I aspire to. But all the fans of the S system give as their primary justification the gorgeous image quality. One day I'm just going to have to borrow or rent one to try for myself.

1 minute ago, LocalHero1953 said:

That is the voice of reason, and I wouldn't criticise it - it's what I aspire to. But all the fans of the S system give as their primary justification the gorgeous image quality. One day I'm just going to have to borrow or rent one to try for myself.

And my print results with the S, when I did my job well, were superb.  No arguments there.  But I don’t print large enough to do real justice, nor use tripod enough to ensure best results given my benign hand tremor.  My camera purchase decision relied on far more than print quality, though, including native lens options, viewing and focusing, handling and ergonomics, control interface, weather sealing, and more.  The S fared extremely well on these accounts (especially the gorgeous OVF), but the SL2 won out for me, even though the S prints were better in some circumstances.  Sensor size wins out over higher MP in my experience (tonal gradations, etc), with the right lenses and shooting circumstances.  

Jeff

• Like 3

Just now, Jeff S said:

And my print results with the S, when I did my job well, were superb.  No arguments there.  But I don’t print large enough to do real justice, nor use tripod enough to ensure best results given my benign hand tremor.  My camera purchase decision relied on far more than print quality, though, including native lens options, viewing and focusing, handling and ergonomics, control interface, weather sealing, and more.  The S fared extremely well on these accounts (especially the gorgeous OVF), but the SL2 won out for me, even though the S prints were better in some circumstances.  Sensor size wins out over higher MP in my experience (tonal gradations, etc), with the right lenses and shooting circumstances.  

Jeff

Jeff, do you now shoot exclusively on the sl2 or you still have an M? SL lenses only or also adapted M lenses ?