SL2-S

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wouldn't get excited about a smaller SL-looks body. I have sold most of my M lenses and have no wish to revert to manual focus.

But I have always preferred the simple shape of the M, Q and TL, to those with bumps, like the SL. The CL is almost there, but a bit of levelling out with an angle grinder would produce a nice CL2. An SL2-S that is a cut down SL2 in a M-shaped body (unlikely to be M-sized) would be attractive. It would be pointless for me, since I use the SL2 with the L lenses, and I suspect I would find anything smaller unbalanced.

Why call it an SL if it is going to be aimed at users with M lenses? Because if they called it an M all the dinosaurs would crawl out of the woodwork (pardon the mixed metaphors) and harrumph that "M stands for Messsucher and always will and always has, ever since the Leica M1".

But actually I think this announcement will be for a Q2 Monochrom.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I wouldn't get excited about a smaller SL-looks body. I have sold most of my M lenses and have no wish to revert to manual focus.

But I have always preferred the simple shape of the M, Q and TL, to those with bumps, like the SL. The CL is almost there, but a bit of levelling out with an angle grinder would produce a nice CL2. An SL2-S that is a cut down SL2 in a M-shaped body (unlikely to be M-sized) would be attractive. It would be pointless for me, since I use the SL2 with the L lenses, and I suspect I would find anything smaller unbalanced.

Why call it an SL if it is going to be aimed at users with M lenses? Because if they called it an M all the dinosaurs would crawl out of the woodwork (pardon the mixed metaphors) and harrumph that "M stands for Messsucher and always will and always has, ever since the Leica M1".

But actually I think this announcement will be for a Q2 Monochrom.

This is a niche and a very nice niche. One day I will get myself a Monochrom. I have a Q2 and I love how incredible it can deliver in a fraction of time fiddling with an SL would have lost me.

13 minutes ago, lx1713 said:

This is a niche and a very nice niche. One day I will get myself a Monochrom. I have a Q2 and I love how incredible it can deliver in a fraction of time fiddling with an SL would have lost me.

Is it really a niche though? Because given the success of M mount lenses adapted to Sony, Voigtlander has started to release lenses in FE mount first, and M mount later, see the 21mm 1.4 for example, or exclusive to Sony.

2 hours ago, panoreserve said:

? Lens-choice does not „depend“ on camera-technology (DSLR/Rangefinder/Mirrorless) - at least not to me...

Well, in fact it does in this case, because both the EVF technology and electronic integration make the use of zoom lenses considerably more practical on a mirrorless camera. Camera technology does matter - for instance the fully manual RF technology of a rangefinder will certainly impact your lens choice. Try mounting an 80-200 on the M9.

53 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Is it really a niche though? Because given the success of M mount lenses adapted to Sony, Voigtlander has started to release lenses in FE mount first, and M mount later, see the 21mm 1.4 for example, or exclusive to Sony.

In this case, I do not consider a Q2 to be a niche but a Q2 Monochrom is a niche camera to me. I don't know of any camera manufacturers that come out with so many monochrome cameras in the last decade. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb jaapv:

Well, in fact it does in this case, because both the EVF technology and electronic integration make the use of zoom lenses considerably more practical on a mirrorless camera. Camera technology does matter - for instance the fully manual RF technology of a rangefinder will certainly impact your lens choice. Try mounting an 80-200 on the M9.

Agreed! - But, as for me, camera technology never had an impact on my lens choice. Regardless of Leica R/M/CanNikon (D)SLR/and, since 2016, LeicaSL... I always had/have exclusively used - primes🙂. (And the SL- primes are the very best.)

Just now, Tom1234 said:

I hope Leica SL5 (baby video camera).  

0 chance. 
also, I spoke with someone at Leica yesterday who confirmed to me (he seemed very confident and has never been wrong before) that the upcoming sl2s is a cheaper, 24mp SL2. It will be a great video camera and great still with an advantage in low light compared to the more expensive sl2. 

Just now, Steven said:

0 chance. 
also, I spoke with someone at Leica yesterday who confirmed to me (he seemed very confident and has never been wrong before) that the upcoming sl2s is a cheaper, 24mp SL2. It will be a great video camera and great still with an advantage in low light compared to the more expensive sl2. 

Dropping the pixel count gives what?  2 stops, 1.5 stop, 1 stop, 1/2 a stop of light advantage?

I am thinking the SL2 has stabilization for video?  If so what a great piece of kit!  I think the SL had no stabilization, correct me?  The stabilization is s game changer. 

vor 1 Minute schrieb Tom1234:

Dropping the pixel count gives what?  2 stops, 1.5 stop, 1 stop, 1/2 a stop of light advantage?

Where should that light advantage come from? S1R vs. S1 -> same sensor generation. The S1 has slightly more dynamic range while the S1R has slightly better high Iso results. 

17 minutes ago, Steven said:

0 chance. 

Your confidence against this is killing me and I bet your table top model does not like it either. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Steven said:

0 chance. 

And of course a wildly different aesthetic.  Not.  Can we put this topic to bed now?

Jeff

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I spoke with someone at Leica yesterday who confirmed to me (he seemed very confident and has never been wrong before) that the upcoming sl2s is a cheaper, 24mp SL2. It will be a great video camera and great still with an advantage in low light compared to the more expensive sl2. 

Insider information isn't always accurate. We know from the SL2 launch that insiders didn't know what would be announced, because Leica had worked on several different prototypes. They were also working on an SL2 with the M10R sensor.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the SL2-S: 40 MP, better low-light, better colour array (like the S3). They could even throw-in 8K UHD video (7860x4320), or over-sampled 6K. We know the 40MP sensor is great, they've already done most of the development work, so why not?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BernardC said:

Insider information isn't always accurate. We know from the SL2 launch that insiders didn't know what would be announced, because Leica had worked on several different prototypes. They were also working on an SL2 with the M10R sensor.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the SL2-S: 40 MP, better low-light, better colour array (like the S3). They could even throw-in 8K UHD video (7860x4320), or over-sampled 6K. We know the 40MP sensor is great, they've already done most of the development work, so why not?

I agree the M10R has a better sensor in DR especially in handling slight over exposure and less noisy than the SL2’s sensor since I own both. 
However it is unlikely for the M10R sensor to appear on the SL system unless both sensors are from the same design source. I say so as the SL system uses the Panasonic’s proprietary AF system adapting the sensor’s information. Both got to be compatible to function. 
Also on marketing the next SL with a 40M0Px over the current 47MPx isn’t going to fly with customers. It is different on creating a 24MPx version with better Low light capability and perhaps better AF since there can be faster AF calculation now that the same processor has less work to do on a lower pixel image process.

• Like 1