Reprovit lla copy slide

Susie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

I have a dilemma on which I'd like your opinions. 

Over the last few years I have done a fair bit of document copying using various Leica accessories together with either an M9, an MM or a Digilux1.  Although I have an OOTGU  copy slide which I attach to an OVURO copy stand (ex- VALOY ll enlarger) I also have the essential basic parts of a Reprovit lla.  The lla is far too large for me to house at home and so lives in accessable storage. 

Now, given the ease of focussing using the bellows of the copy slide from the lla, I had thought of adapting it to fit the OVURO.  This can be done using the UWYOO adapter from my VISO 1 bellows, BUT, and this is the crux of the dilemma, to do this I will have to machine off part of the lla mounting, which will prevent it from being returned to the Reprovit lla column fixture.  The machining is not a problem, I have the kit do do that,  the dilemma is whether or not to, essentially, destroy the Reprovit, but at the same time make something much more useful to me.  I would not loose the projection focussing facility as I have a separate  OUTSO projection head.  By the way, I paid less than £100 for the lla so the cost to me is not an issue.  The Reprovit is a fantastic bit of kit, but far too large for a home environment.

Your thoughts please.

Susie

Edited by Susie

The part that you are machining shows up on E-bay fairly regularly.  You should be able to replace the one you are modifying at some point down the road.  I think some sellers make more money selling off the parts which can be shipped rather than selling the whole thing together.

I have two nearly complete Reprovit IIa sets.  The wires are all in unusable condition due to embrittlement of the insulation; they are a huge safety risk.  In the United States Reprovit IIa units are worthless.  One's best hope is that someone will pick it up if you give it away because packaging and shipping the thing costs far more than anyone will pay for it.  A pity really because the Reprovit IIa does its job very well.

I would like to buy a Reprovit R to fill in my copy stand collection, but the Reprovit R seems to be non-existent in the US.

• Thanks 1

I bought a Reprovit stand a few years ago all ready to go - although the wiring was decayed. I paid £5 for it and I do use it quite a lot, but in modified form because it is a great and solid stand which is very usable with modern equipment. Due to its bulk I doubt whether it will ever be collectible but if you want to retain its originality buy a spare part as zeitz suggests, to machine.

Paul, at 5 quid you overpaid.  Just kidding.  That is a great find; I paid more for mine.  You are quite right the the machine is great and solid and I do use mine with a rare 16798 adapter plate in place of the sliding head set.  DSLR with 90 degree finder, autofocus macro lens, and two strobes automatically controlled by the camera is my setup.  None of the Leitz copy equipment is really collectible.  Look at the prices for Focaslides.  Even for these little items, it often costs more to mail them than to buy them.

• Haha 1