55-135mm Focus Issue?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got the 55-135 and I've noticed that it will not grab focus when it has to move from close to far (and vice versa) focus. For example, if I focus on something 4 feet away and then try to focus on something at 100 feet away, it simply won't focus. I manually focus it too that distance and then it will work fine for focusing. If I then try to focus at 4 feet, I have to again manually focus back to 4 feet. After that, it autofocuses fine at closer distances.

I'm using single AF with field focus.

Is this normal behavior?  

I would check to make sure you have the latest firmware installed in the camera. You should have version 4.0 installed.

Do you know if you have the latest firmware installed in your lens? It may say on the rear lens cap "Firmware needs to be updated" or something similar.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 32 Minuten schrieb huwm:

it is a bit better if multi field used

If you only use one field, it's important that you aim your one field at a spot which has clearly recognizable edges, preferably vertical ones (when holding the camera in landscape orientation). I admit that it's possible that the restriction to vertical edges is no longer true, but the autofocus needs nice clean edges.

I hadn’t noticed the focus limiter in the CL menu before now - I probably explored the menus before I had the 55-135 and so the option would have been greyed out.

From what I can see, the 55-135 and the 60mm are the only two TL lenses that support focus range limits, which makes some sense. 

Two questions:

1. is it stated anywhere from the transition point is between the near and far ranges? I can’t see any option to set limits within the menu.
  2. I understand that some SL lenses support focus range limits; is there a list of which SL, Lumix, or Sigma lenses support it?

10 hours ago, skimmel said:

Figured it out -- the camera was set to a profile that had focus limiter set. Not sure how it happened but it's fixed!

I have also been trying to find info on the extra (assumed) focus limiter AF option which appears in the AF menu when the 55-135 is mounted but haven’t found it anywhere ( Manual, lens booklet etc). Can you point me to where it is specced/explained ?

Thanks for the the link. The relevant paragraph and table is absent in the TL2 manual.

There is no specification however for what the “short range” or “long range” distances are, nor whether these vary with lenses. I find it very strange that the info isn’t included in the lens specification or booklet.

Is the “short range” different for the TL60 than the 55-135 etc?

My copy of the CL running firmware version 4.0 offers the option focus limit in the menu but it takes no observable effect with the 55-135mm lens (or with any of the other lenses I tried). It focuses from infinity down to about 1m and back.

22 hours ago, NigelG said:

Thanks for the the link. The relevant paragraph and table is absent in the TL2 manual.

There is no specification however for what the “short range” or “long range” distances are, nor whether these vary with lenses. I find it very strange that the info isn’t included in the lens specification or booklet.

I took my 55-135 with me on my afternoon escape today. The transition between the near and far ranges on that lens appears to be ~ 2 metres. AF worked well over the range 1-2m, and over the range 2m-∞, but not jumping between 1m and 5m without a flick of the focus ring to change the range.

* 2 metres is just an eyeball estimate, not measured.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:51 AM, NigelG said:

Nor can one seem to make the long or short selection manually. I just played around with the setting on my CL with the 60 and 55-135. With the limiter on, the longer distance seems to be the default. You have to turn it off before the 55-135 will focus closer than 5-6 feet vs the 60mm Macro, which will focus down to almost no further than the distance the hood extends from the front element.

I see no reason to have the limiter turned on with either lens on the CL. You just are not gaining that much speed vs. letting the lens work throughout all its AF range.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

Nor can one seem to make the long or short selection manually. I just played around with the setting on my CL with the 60 and 55-135. With the limiter on, the longer distance seems to be the default. You have to turn it off before the 55-135 will focus closer than 5-6 feet vs the 60mm Macro, which will focus down to almost no further than the distance the hood extends from the front element.

I see no reason to have the limiter turned on with either lens on the CL. You just are not gaining that much speed vs. letting the lens work throughout all its AF range.

You’re not locked out of the near focal range of 1-2m with the 55-135; twisting the focus ring puts you into the near range, and similarly twisting the focus ring will take you out of the near range and into the far range.

Nonetheless, I’ll be turning the focus limiter off again as the function isn’t useful for how I use the CL.

I do use the focus limiter on my DSLR, but I can easily adjust both the lower and upper limits so that I can restrict focus to any desirable range, not just near vs far. In particular I find it useful on my DSLR so that the AF doesn’t try to bite on objects between me and my subject.