photo editor for M10M

ZoomP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

That's my main concern too. An image file is backuped once and only once. If a program made changes to that file (probably only adding some bytes of metadata) the whole file will be backed up again because the timestamp changed. 

AFAIK, the primary backup issue with LrC is the "xxx Previews.lrdata" file that is huge and gets updated whenever one generates a preview.

9 hours ago, marchyman said:

Do you have a specific question or just have no interest in image data formats and understanding how changing metadata does not necessarily change the image itself.

I have an opinion on what I was writing about, which wasn't data formats, and I don't have a question about data formats. I guess you knew something about data formats so took the opportunity to randomly lecture me on it.

20 hours ago, SrMi said:

I am paying for my C1 upgrades approximately as much as I am paying for the Creative Cloud subscription, which I would need to get anyway since PS is essential for me.

Note that canceling CC subscription disables "only" Develop and Map module.

It's pretty useless without develop module, eh?

;)

I've found Affinity Photo to be more than comparable to PS...in some ways better. It is faster with a newly developed engine and doesn't have all the legacy code within it that PS and most other Adobe products have.

But to each their own.

C

9 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

Why do you backup previews at all?

I backup my whole main disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and BackBlaze. It is not possible to exclude individual files, AFAIK. How do you exclude the previews from backups?

Edit: I found a way to exclude them in BackBlaze and CCC, thanks for the suggestion. It is only the Time Machine that has issues.

Edited by SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Cayenne said:

It's pretty useless without develop module, eh?

<snip>

My point was that if I once decide to ditch Adobe, I will still be able to access my catalogs and export relevant images with changes (TIFF) to the new post-processing software.

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

My point was that if I once decide to ditch Adobe, I will still be able to access my catalogs and export relevant images with changes (TIFF) to the new post-processing software.

If you've uploaded your original files from camera to a numbered folder that is dated and titled and saved on a hard drive, and then you've saved edited TIFF's in a sub folder you can use them with any software because you will know where everything is and in its sequence.

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

If you've uploaded your original files from camera to a numbered folder that is dated and titled and saved on a hard drive, and then you've saved edited TIFF's in a sub folder you can use them with any software because you will know where everything is and in its sequence.

I do not see the point of exporting a TIFF version of each final edit unless I plan to leave Adobe CC, which I do not. My point was that, if I change my mind, I could do that after my subscription expires.

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

I do not see the point of exporting a TIFF version of each final edit unless I plan to leave Adobe CC, which I do not. My point was that, if I change my mind, I could do that after my subscription expires.

Anybody with a robust filing system for their work wouldn't need to ask. Lightroom offers shortcuts to workflow, but when the road has been dug up your filing system is your map home. I suppose exporting a finished TIFF is a matter for the individual, but I think short of printing it as a testament to a job well done it's the next best thing to saying you care about what you've done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 250swb said:

Anybody with a robust filing system for their work wouldn't need to ask. Lightroom offers shortcuts to workflow, but when the road has been dug up your filing system is your map home. I suppose exporting a finished TIFF is a matter for the individual, but I think short of printing it as a testament to a job well done it's the next best thing to saying you care about what you've done.

Thank you for the reply. It is interesting to read about other people's workflow and evaluate if it can improve my own.