photo editor for M10M

ZoomP

vor 7 Minuten schrieb ZoomP:

Just got my M10M.  Tried opening the DNG files with DXO3 but doesn't look like they have support yet.  Anyone tried?  What is the editor you're right now?

DXO does not support any mono sensor. Use DXO myself but don't have a mono Leica. That's always bad if you need a separate raw converter for a special camera.

3 hours ago, ZoomP said:

Thanks for the reply guys.  What's the next best option?  

While Lightroom is good, I prefer Capture One.  It has a Structure slider which gives my B&W images a bit more  bite. With either I tend to finish in Silver Efex Pro.

Edited by Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

DXO has no intent to support monochrome based cameras, per their own forum reps. And they’re often incredibly slow to support even color based Leica gear.  They still hadn’t supported the SL2 many months after launch, and when asked, could only apologize for difficulty obtaining Leica gear.  Adobe, on the other hand works directly with Leica in conjunction with new product launches, which is one of many reasons I stick with with Adobe, primarily LR Classic, for all my gear.  And ImagePrint as an external editor for printing.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Am 18.10.2020 um 15:55 schrieb Jeff S:

DXO has no intent to support monochrome based cameras, per their own forum reps. And they’re often incredibly slow to support even color based Leica gear.  They still hadn’t supported the SL2 many months after launch, and when asked, could only apologize for difficulty obtaining Leica gear.  Adobe, on the other hand works directly with Leica in conjunction with new product launches, which is one of many reasons I stick with with Adobe, primarily LR Classic, for all my gear.  And ImagePrint as an external editor for printing.

Jeff

They clearly have their preference on the more mainstream cameras. The Panasonic S1 and S1R were supported shortly after launch and they have lens profiles for Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount lenses. But they also support Leica M240 and M10 with a handful of lenses.

DXO only opens an image file if they have a proper profile for it. You may dislike it, that they don't open any DNG file even without profile.

2 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

They clearly have their preference on the more mainstream cameras. 

Preference, but also access to gear, as well as technical/business model considerations (e.g., not consistent with non-color array/monochrome). And probably size/staffing considerations.

Jeff

On 10/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, Luke_Miller said:

While Lightroom is good, I prefer Capture One.  It has a Structure slider which gives my B&W images a bit more  bite. With either I tend to finish in Silver Efex Pro.

Does that mean that Silver Efex Pro is DNG agnostic and can be used with any of the Monocrom's?

1 hour ago, ymc226 said:

Does that mean that Silver Efex Pro is DNG agnostic and can be used with any of the Monocrom's?

Yes just make sure you are converting your dng as an RGB file and not Greyscale, which I'm sure you'd do anyway. 

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

Yes just make sure you are converting your dng as an RGB file and not Greyscale, which I'm sure you'd do anyway. 

3 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

Is is, in fact Leica bundled it with the original Monochrom.

Thank you.  Is there a difference between the original NIK Collection that has SEP and the latest version from DXO who names it SEP2?  I think I bought the original years ago and will try to dig it up.  If the latest has signifiant improvements, maybe I'll update.

I'm still using the old free version of the NIK Collection.  My understanding is the biggest change in the latest DXO version is support of 4K monitors.  The free version is hard to use (can't read the text) as a Photoshop plug-in on a 4K monitor.  Strangely, no problem as a Lightroom plug-in.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, Luke_Miller said:

Luke, is there much of a difference between Capture One's Structure function and that of SEF Pro? (I also use the version of the latter that came bundled with my Monochrom.)

19 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Luke, is there much of a difference between Capture One's Structure function and that of SEF Pro? (I also use the version of the latter that came bundled with my Monochrom.)

As you know SEP has multiple structure adjustments.  A Global slider plus specific sliders for Highlights, Midtones, and Shadows.  Then there is a Fine Detail slider, which seems to affect smaller details than the other sliders. C1 has only one slider which seems like the Global slider in SEP.  Lightroom now has a Texture slider which seems to operate on larger details than both the C1 and SEP structure tools.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

As you know SEP has multiple structure adjustments.  A Global slider plus specific sliders for Highlights, Midtones, and Shadows.  Then there is a Fine Detail slider, which seems to affect smaller details than the other sliders. C1 has only one slider which seems like the Global slider in SEP.  Lightroom now has a Texture slider which seems to operate on larger details than both the C1 and SEP structure tools.

In addition, C1 incorporates a layers tool, which allows non-destructive editing of specific areas and tonal values (dodging and burning), without making round trips out of the application to Photoshop or SEP.  One can generate multiple variants of the single DNG within the application, without creating the mega-sized files that come with each iteration of an image in an application like SEP.  The Grain Tool in C1 is also excellent.