SL2 Evf-Lcd Eye Sensor Problem

agencal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am on a autumn landscape photo trip right now with sigma 14-24mm,35mm and 75mm apo SL + 90-280mm.

I am very happy up to now with the system but something makes me crazy.

I choose auto for the LCD-EVF selection and sensor sensitivity low. When i put my eye tightly to lcd the view suddenly switches lcd to evf. But then evf goes dark.This doesn’t happen at indoors like studio or home but outdoor. Then i retreat and push my eye back than view comes again but then goes away.That makes me crazy and i started to choose EVF Only option which closes the eye sensor and then everything goes to normal.But i want to use the sensor because most of the time after shooting with Evf i want to review image from Lcd.

Anyone having this problem?

Edited by agencal

On 10/18/2020 at 12:01 AM, Red Dot Cameras said:

Hi

Have you tried wiping the sensor in the top of the eyepiece. If this doesn’t work then do a factory reset.

Ivor

Thank you IVOR but i tried both ways you said and nothing changed.It is it is a design issue :(

The behaviour you describe doesn't sound right. What function do you have on the button to the right of the EVF. If it is the EVF-LCD selection function, are you accidentally pressing it and toggling the EVF settings, including blanking the EVF? (I discovered this risk just now!)

Do you get the same behaviour in EVF-Extended?

Edited by LocalHero1953

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The behaviour you describe doesn't sound right. What function do you have on the button to the right of the EVF. If it is the EVF-LCD selection function, are you accidentally pressing it and toggling the EVF settings, including blanking the EVF? (I discovered this risk just now!)

Do you get the same behaviour in EVF-Extended?

The button to the right of the EVF has evf-lcd selection function and i am quite sure that i am not touching it when lookig trough the evf.

And yes the behaviour is the same at Evf extended mode as well. I can only use EVF selection without any problems.

A friend of mine has an SL2 with the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, Red Dot Cameras said:

Hi

Have you tried wiping the sensor in the top of the eyepiece. If this doesn’t work then do a factory reset.

Ivor

This is a design problem with the camera, there are other posts. It's not a problem in general for most handheld shooting, but on a tripod set either high or low it's quite annoying (think standing on your toes to see the viewfinder, or bending down to knee height). I don't have this problem on my Fuji GFX or Panasonic S1R, and don't recall it on the SL Typ 601 for that matter.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, Jeff S said:

Do you wear glasses?

Jeff

Yes i do. There is no issue when I remove my glasses and my eye is completely covering the viewfinder. I had no trouble with the SL601 with glasses, SL2 clearly has a different design that is less forgiving to eyeglass users. So now I take mine off and adjust the diopter and i have no issues.

4 minutes ago, trickness said:

Yes i do. There is no issue when I remove my glasses and my eye is completely covering the viewfinder. I had no trouble with the SL601 with glasses, SL2 clearly has a different design that is less forgiving to eyeglass users. So now I take mine off and adjust the diopter and i have no issues.

Yes, I was linking your post to assist the OP.   Unfortunately I cannot rely on a diopter alone, as my glasses correct astigmatism and address light sensitivity (sunglasses) in daylight. Plus m glasses include distance correction, which allows me to see when I don’t have the VF to my eye, avoiding constant removal and replacement.  But a +.5 diopter, in addition to glasses, optimizes my M viewing and focusing.

Jeff

On 10/28/2020 at 5:41 AM, agencal said:

Today we opened 2 more SL2 boxes at the store and they both have the same sensor problem.So i started to think if it is a general problem or the batch that store has this issue?

Where in a world you are when they're willing to open boxes like that? :)

• 4 months later...

Is there any additional or updated information on this? It's SUPER annoying to the point where I will just force EVF, and then cycle through viewing options to chimp. Sometimes unloading and reloading the battery fixes this, but mostly not. Dirt/cleanliness is not a factor.