WanderingEye

M10-D - Unable to Initiate WiFi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I have an issue with my new M10-D, and I thought it would be worth checking to see if anyone on here had any advice (aside from reaching out to Leica, I'm waiting for their response). I've searched the forum, but didn't find a related thread, apologies if I missed one.

My camera works perfectly, except for the WiFi function. If I've read the instructions correctly, when I activate WiFi for the first time, the LED should blink green for a while (30 seconds?) and then should stop blinking, at which point the camera is now ready to connect to WiFi. On my particular camera, the green light never stops blinking, and I have left it in that mode for as long as 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure that I'm doing things correctly, but of course it's hard to tell, especially without a screen!

Here are some additional details:
  • My M10-D is running the latest firmware, version 2.7.5.0 (confirmed via DNG metadata)
  • My iPhone is running iOS 14 and Leica FOTOS version 2.1.1
  • I have reset the iPhone's network settings repeatedly, flushing all WiFi settings and passwords, this has no effect
  • I have installed and uninstalled the FOTOS app multiple times, also no effect
  • Within FOTOS, I carefully say "Yes" or equivalent to all popups during the process of connecting to the camera's WiFi
  • I have tried to connect to the WiFi with the base plate both on and off, makes no difference
  • I have always had the battery at or near 100% when I've tried to connect, no difference
  • I've tried with the base plate on and off, neither helps
  • I have tried with and without SD card, also makes no difference
  • The camera shows absolutely no other symptoms or issues of any kind

I believe that the key to all of this is that the green light on the camera never stops blinking. This is clearly not what's supposed to happen, and I have no idea how to fix it. I've communicated with Leica US, who've referred me to Germany. I thought it would probably make sense to check here as well. From my interactions with Leica (both multiple stores and NJ service department), it seems that they've had so few of these cameras pass through their hands that they have to look up the answers to questions I've had, instead of knowing how it operates first-hand.

The camera works perfectly aside from this one issue, and I'd rather keep it as is than send it to Germany if it comes to that. But obviously I'd prefer to find a solution if possible.

Indeed the led should stop blinking. If you are sure that you have the latest firmware (could you try to install that again?), it sounds like a hardware issue. Your iPhone’s settings and version of the Leica app should have nothing to do with it. 
Although I do remember the first  time setting it up, I had to use the QR code in the base plate. 

Thanks, I did try to install firmware 2.7.5.0 again, but that didn't change anything. I agree the iOS settings shouldn't matter (yet), but everyone keeps asking so I figured I'd mention it here.

I should also say, I'm thankful for this forum, and your posts. I joined a couple years ago (almost exactly two years actually!) when I got my Q, and I'd spent a lot of time on here while considering the M10-D.

You have the same firmware that I have, and I tried Fotos on my M10-D. from an iPad  The green light stopped blinking in about 30 seconds.  I told Fotos to connect, and after a few seconds it started bringing up the thumbnails, with a few green blinks as each group came up.  So what you are seeing is not right.  You can use your phones list of WiFi channels that it can hear to see if the camera's wifi hot spot is getting established.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

13 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

So what you are seeing is not right.

Thanks for checking! And I can confirm that the camera's wifi never comes up in the list of nearby networks.

Is there an option to reset the camera to factory defaults on camera via a combination of buttons, or can that only be achieved in the Fotos app?

Otherwise, it seems you’ve tried everything.  😞

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have sadly never had much luck with getting my M10-D to reliably connect via wifi. I’ve tried it many times, and even took it into a Leica store (in LA) to see if they could get any further. Alas, nothing much.

It’s not that it never works, but that it often fails to connect, so much that I’ve just convinced myself that the wifi feature does not really exist. 😉

Happily, once I just decided to treat the SD card as a roll of film that I have to remove in order to get the photos, everything’s been fine. I was able to get a connection to the Fotos app to do a little customization of the settings when I first got the camera 1.5 years ago, but have never felt any need to change them since.

I got my M10-D in Feb. 2019 and right from the beginning I could establish the WiFi connection to an old iPhone 6 without any trouble. Even the transfer of all Apps including FOTOS to a new iPhone recently was absolutely seamless, so I really wonder what has happened in your case. Finally, I am afraid, your camera needs to be sent to Leica Germany. I only can imagine that the base plate with the 2D-code is not the correct one - error during assembly/packaging?

18 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Finally, I am afraid, your camera needs to be sent to Leica Germany. I only can imagine that the base plate with the 2D-code is not the correct one - error during assembly/packaging?

I agree that the camera should go back but I think the code has nothing to do with the problem as, as has ben stated, it is the fact that the green light keeps blinking after the normal 30 seconds or so.

1 hour ago, jslabovitz said:

Happily, once I just decided to treat the SD card as a roll of film that I have to remove in order to get the photos, everything’s been fine.

22 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Finally, I am afraid, your camera needs to be sent to Leica Germany.

Thanks for the advice. I will just use it as is, I'd rather not send it anywhere -- I just got it and am enjoying it too much to let it go! I was sort of hoping that when I asked on here, people would say "oh yeah, I had that -- I did xxxx" -- wishful thinking, but I'll be happy with it as it is. Right now I'm only missing a self-timer and custom shutter speeds, but I can get around those I think, and they're not worth parting with the camera.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Is there an option to reset the camera to factory defaults on camera via a combination of buttons, or can that only be achieved in the Fotos app?

Good question. For anyone reading this in future, you can reset the M10-D by simultaneously holding down the focus button (front of the camera) and function button (top plate, next to the shutter button) for 5 seconds. This "activates the reset function, putting settings back to the factory defaults but not resetting time, date, or file number."

(this is in the manual on page 64, but I found it by accident and confirmed with Leica USA)

Edited by WanderingEye
clarification

If you have done the reset, with current firmware, and can demonstrate that your wifi still doesn't come on in the standard 30 secs, or ever for that matter, then you have a defective wifi chip in the camera.  Leica will probably exchange your camera for one that works better if you ask nicely.  Or you can ignore this, treat the SD card as a very large, reusable roll of film, and enjoy.  The default settings are quite reasonable.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

8 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Or you can ignore this, treat the SD card as a very large, reusable roll of film, and enjoy.  The default settings are quite reasonable.

Thanks, and I agree. I don't see myself using the app often even if it did work for me. The only setting I would change right now is the auto-off, which I would disable -- sometimes I frame a shot with the camera stationary somewhere, and just wait for the shot I want (like a bird flying into the frame). But honestly that's not a big deal at all.

Sometimes it is nice to format an SD card in camera. It should work - at least the green light should stop flashing. Reset the camera. Press func and focus key simultaneously for 5 seconds. Instruction manual, p 64 in the German version.

11 hours ago, Joe Zobkiw said:

I would still get it fixed/replaced even if you don't care to use the WiFi - thinking of resale/trade-in value.

Thanks, I might do that eventually, but I just got it and don't want to part! I'm ok taking the risk (ie that they can't repair it down the road). Maybe I'm a cynic, but I assume a digital camera has a life of 5 years, so if it has any use or value after that time (and if I haven't lost / broken it), I'll consider that a bonus!

As others here predicted, the final word from Leica (store then Leica USA / NJ then Germany) is that I probably have a defective WiFi unit and would have to send the camera in (but only to NJ).

If you JUST got it, call the seller and tell them you want a replacement. Let them deal with the repair issue. As the customer of an $8000 item, you don't have to deal with it. If they don't agree to deal with it in this way, tell them you'll be returning it. You can get another one in a few days from anywhere. You shouldn't have to live with a Leica that is busted out of the box.

3 minutes ago, Joe Zobkiw said:

If you JUST got it, call the seller and tell them you want a replacement.

Thanks, that's great advice, I'll call them. If I can keep my camera until I get the replacement, that would be perfect!

My guess is they will put another $8000 hold on your credit card during the transfer - but if that isn't an issue you can probably keep shooting! 🙂 Good luck!