How to get skin tone like classical B&W film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, evikne said:

I guess the sample pack only contains one B&W profile and a few color profiles, and your image(s) probably didn't match the sample profiles very well. Once you have the full package, it is much more likely that you'll find a profile that fits.

Using film profiles also requires a suitable input image, for example nobody is going to get a contrasty B&W image resembling Tri-X if the input image is already contrasty or if the starting point is a super saturated colour image. In other words the film profile is not an example of artificial intelligence, it is more like a dumb overlay and applying one is not a 'bish, bash, bosh' recipe for success. And if nobody ever used Tri-X IRL it's another learning curve in understanding what it's true characteristics are. But it doesn't really matter if a Tri-X profile doesn't really look like Tri-X film, the name shouldn't define the image, if the photographer gets near to what they want with a Tri-X profile it's illogical not to refer to it as a Tri-X profile if that's the button that was pressed. But it's 'Tri-X' on top of something else. 

The idea of dismissing film profiles because they don't end up looking like the film concerned is just another lazy way of saying 'I can't be bothered with the learning curve', they aren't and never have been a magic bullet. But then this thread has all been about the inability to do anything without the crutch of a 'magic bullet'.

• Like 2

There is another link in the chain of variables: the print. Get a b&w image file printed as a gelatin print by Digital Silver Imaging or similar service.
https://digitalsilverimaging.com/dsi-digital-silver-prints/
Based on a vast sample - one print - I saw smoother tones than Epson b&w prints (which can be excellent in their own way).

• Like 1

@250swb I thought your last sentence was unnecessarily harsh. Until then my mouse was hovering over the applause icon, because your points are very well presented and you make a lot of sense IMO. However, everybody are at different stages of maturity and the learning curve :) 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, Per P. said:

@250swb I thought your last sentence was unnecessarily harsh. Until then my mouse was hovering over the applause icon, because your points are very well presented and you make a lot of sense IMO. However, everybody are at different stages of maturity and the learning curve :) 

The OP claims to be supremely experienced such that they cannot countenance any creative suggestions.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yet another way to help achieve the results the OP is after is with the use of a Schneider Hollywood Black Magic filter.   They work very well - however not inexpensive.   These filters come in varying degrees of effect.  I used them a lot during film production days with 16mm and 35mm motion picture cameras.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...