Nocti on the sl2 focus question

Gavin Cato

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

There's a store near me at the moment with 20% off lots of leica stuff and the 50/0.95 & 75/1.25 are tempting me. Most so the 75.

My question - with these lenses, when you turn the focus ring on the noctilux on the sl2, does it transmit this info to the sl2 and automatically zoom the evf in for you, or do you need to manually press a button on the body to zoom in.

cheers

Edited by Gavin Cato

56 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The Noctilux is not a zoom lens. Even if it was, the EVF shows what the sensor sees, so would show it zooming. If you mean focusing, then the same applies. The EVF shows the image as it focuses. WYSIWYG. 

no i meant does the evf zoom in to 100% automatically for focus assist like it would with say, a sl series lens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

Hey guys,

There's a store near me at the moment with 20% off lots of leica stuff and the 50/0.95 & 75/1.25 are tempting me. Most so the 75.

My question - with these lenses, when you turn the focus ring on the noctilux on the sl2, does it transmit this info to the sl2 and automatically zoom the evf in for you, or do you need to manually press a button on the body to zoom in.

cheers

It does not magnify the evf view. The evf is very good and I use the nocty without zooming in most of the time. You can click on the joistick to activate zoom.

You can  also use peeking, and that can be useful. If you shoot wide open the focus peeking is not showing right where you want it. To low contrast

In any case the 50 nocti is my favorite lens on sl2

11 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

My question - with these lenses, when you turn the focus ring on the noctilux on the sl2, does it transmit this info to the sl2 ...

There are no electrical contacts built into M lenses. When the focus ring is turned, a mechanical cam is pushed and moves on M cameras - the M-L adapter does not have an equivalent, so there is no way for the SL to detect the focus ring is turning.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:05 AM, Photoworks said:

It does not magnify the evf view. The evf is very good and I use the nocty without zooming in most of the time. You can click on the joistick to activate zoom.

You can  also use peeking, and that can be useful. If you shoot wide open the focus peeking is not showing right where you want it. To low contrast

In any case the 50 nocti is my favorite lens on sl2

The EVF is very good, but I find that you need to use the joystick to zoom in for precise focus at certain distances. One thing, too, you can change the multiple of the jzoom with the control wheel. That was a revelation. 

I stick with SL lenses on the SL2; back button AF, magnify via twist of focus ring, no peaking (just clutters and distracts viewing).  M lenses stay on my M, but ultra fast lenses hold no interest... using ISO for light and other ways to control desired DOF...I find many pics with these super fast lenses could benefit from a bit more DOF, but that’s just me.

Jeff

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I stick with SL lenses on the SL2; back button AF, magnify via twist of focus ring, no peaking (just clutters and distracts viewing).  M lenses stay on my M, but ultra fast lenses hold no interest... using ISO for light and other ways to control desired DOF...I find many pics with these super fast lenses could benefit from a bit more DOF, but that’s just me.

Jeff

Each to their own :) I shoot weddings and when I've got a couple on their wedding day in a country field with tall grass and a sunset behind them, I'll take as shallow as I can get :)