Vintage Noctilux on Monochrom

Drmat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I am torn between purchasing the noctilux F1 and the 50 summilux ASPH.  Certainly, they are different beasts.  I am leaning towards the F1, but I worry about ever getting a shot in focus and the softness of the images.  That lens also really seems to shine in colour, so I wonder if monochrom images hold up the magic.  I know that it is a personal taste.  Curious about the experience of others with these lenses.  I imagine I will end up with both eventually, as that seems to be what we do.  However, part of me just wonders if the money is not better spent on a 50APO in the future.

For reference, I am using the M10M with the 35 summicron 8 element.

As you said, you'll end up with both (or more ... )😉

To begin, if you like the Summicron 35 "I", you would like the Noctilux 1.0, if size/weight and mostly VF blockage (which on the "35mm 8 element" is not a problem).

I had the Summilux 50 asph., but sold as I didn't use it much, not for the top IQ : I saw some "gritty rendering of high light, maybe from the "Ninja/sharp aperture".

A thing that is present also with my Noctilux 1.0, so I use as F/1 or F/5.6 and more , to have smooth(est) OOF, as F/1.4 to F/4 show some "Ninja/sharp edge spots".

Most of users don't bother with those OOF -sharp-spots, but I am.

Please don't ask me to show those "flaws", I avoid those "flaws" for years.

I almost always use the APO-Summicron on my M10M. I have a Noctilux 1.0 but I mostly use it on the SL2. I find it way too heavy for the M body, and not easy to focus, but it is perfect on an SL2. A question of balance. The Summicron is the perfect standard lens for an M10M, I would say. Hope that helps (not sure though).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Drmat You made a good choice - the f/1.0 Noctilux is a beautiful lens. I used mine as an all-around 50mm for several years before I got my 50/2.4 Summarit.  The only Achilles heel to the Noctilux is size & weight IMHO.

The f/1.0 Noctilux does things that no other lens can do.  So does the 50 APO Summicron.  So does the 50 Summilux.  The key is to research all three lenses, learn which result you like the best and buy that lens.

It would be great to have a 50 APO Summicron, but $8800 USD is not doable at present.  Perhaps one day...

Edited by Herr Barnack

Thanks @Herr Barnack.  I used to own the summarit 50/2.5.  I really liked that lens.  The noctilux is a very nice lens, but i have to get my head around the lack of fine details that I am used to seeing with my other lenses.  I feel like a terrible photographer who missed focus, until I realize that is the focus!

I am also getting used to the idea that I can own more than one lens.  The F1 makes me think more about when and how I use a lens.

• Like 1