first two rolls of film since ....

gteague

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... there used to be a one-hour lab kiosk in every parking lot! i sent the film to holland photo in austin (tx) and the frigging post office took six days to move it 250 miles. i blame trump's clorox drinker he made postmaster general. oh, and all the ballots flying around. :) 

shot fp4 in my leica cl and ektar 100 in my contax g. i could have focused better on some of the leica shots, but i shot everything at f2.0 and f2.8.. same with the contax. i'm basically just glad to find that both cameras work and i can produce results i like. both films seem to have the look you'd have gotten if you shot them new back in the 80s or early 90s. and i really really love the ektar color--i can't get enough of it. i seriously doubt i could replicate that look in digital with any amount of filters or editing.

the scans were the smallest they offer and approx 3500 x 2500 px. i don't really see any reason to pay $5 more for larger ones and if i do need some, i can always have them do it from a negative. 

just wanted you to know my several months long project finally came to fruition. thanks mucho to all who offered encouragement and advice. /guy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gteague
  • Like 5

George, nice images, just started with 2 rolls of Ektar, one in a Canon F1 the other in my M3. Had the lab do scans, but noticed they were full frame but scanned at only 64dpi. This doesn't enlarge well, screen size would be fine but any prints would be compromised. Not sure if I like Ektar or Portra 160 better, different image qualities.

I miss the days of 4 hour E6 processing, and even in our local CVS I could bring in a roll of negative film in the morning and have it in the afternoon. When I started using film again our local CVS took a roll of cheap C41, quoted me 2 weeks for return and promptly lost it. Luckily it was nothing but a test roll. The next 2 labs I used were good at getting film back, C41 was fine their b&w another story. So I went back to processing my own.

• Like 3

Good for you, George!!

I began shooting film again around a year ago, and over the past 6 months have taken only a few digital shots. Develop my own B&W; send my color film out. I scan all the film myself, which is now fun (once I got the workflow) and saves bundles as it comes out high rez. It's fun playing with different combinations of film and developer.

Perhaps it's the pandemic, which gives me more time at home, but whatever, I find film more meditative and holistic. I feel more in control with film--I'm not dependent on some algorithms crammed into a chip in the camera. Most importantly, I laugh at my incredibly stupid mistakes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Good for you, George!!

I began shooting film again around a year ago, and over the past 6 months have taken only a few digital shots. Develop my own B&W; send my color film out. I scan all the film myself, which is now fun (once I got the workflow) and saves bundles as it comes out high rez. It's fun playing with different combinations of film and developer.

Perhaps it's the pandemic, which gives me more time at home, but whatever, I find film more meditative and holistic. I feel more in control with film--I'm not dependent on some algorithms crammed into a chip in the camera. Most importantly, I laugh at my incredibly stupid mistakes.

some of my best shots have resulted from stupid mistakes! :) :) 

/guy

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I develop my own film in my bathroom. It is rather simple, and does not need much space. 

I have a water bath heater with the size of a coffee cup which can control the temperature within 1 degree in the range of 10~50 degree.  This simple setup is good enough for both B&W and C41 (and E6 too though I am to doing E6 anymore ). I use Paterson develop drum.

I use one-shot chemistry for B&W, HC100, Rodinal, and PMK are my favorite, and I will stay with HC100 once my Rodinal and PMK runs out. 

C41 is not one-shot. The develop drum I have is not convenient for draining the used chemical back to the bottle. I used to use Jobo develop drum but I add to it the DUOLAB type lid (unfortunate, discontinued!) that you can screw the Job chemical bottle to the lid. The development starts with turning bottle-drum pair to pour the chemical into the drum, and stops by turning the bottle-drum pair to drain the chemical back to the bottle. I repeat this for every steps (dev, stop, fix, etc.).  (Jobo's recommended setup, CPP or CPE, takes too much space, though it could be more efficient.).

Depends on the amount of films to develop,  I choose the drum of the right size (1~6 rolls at a time). The whole process is less an hour, not much more than driving to the photo labs (forget it, no longer a choice).  

Converting to digital file is through a digital camera. I have App Rodagon-D 75mm but 50mm f2 or f2.8 is very popular and easy to get.  

• Like 1