My first Leica, M10M: Some questions.....

Cayenne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all!!

Well, I"m anxiously monitoring the FedEX website to track my first ever Leica across the nation, should be here Friday.

I'm getting the M10 Monochrom

I've watched about every YouTube video on it and read most review I could find.

This weekend looks to be beautiful weather in New Orleans and I plan to get out and shoot, shoot, shoot!!

I have a few question, let me start with this please:

What do ya'll recommend for SD cards? Is there a size limit? I'm guessing a faster card will work best with such large images....is there a sweet spot for size/speed/price?

What do you use and what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Congratulations on new camera and enjoy.

SanDisk cards seem to work well  and are recommended by Leica , but this type of question usually leads to members  recommending every card on the market depending on what they favour. 

Edited by pedaes

16 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Congratulations on new camera and enjoy.

SanDisk cards seem to work well  and are recommended by Leica , but this type of question usually leads to members  recommending every card on the market depending on what they favour. 

Ok thanks.

Didn't think about manual....I'll try to go look one up online and order a card online to try to get here by this weekend.

Ugh..just saw another thread on here said the M10M has problems "freezing" or locking up.

I'm gonna be torqued if I get this $$$$ camera and it is not working properly.

But will see...I've been so excited to get this....

LOL..I don't need bag recommendations and I already have been asking about starting lens on the lens threads...but remembered I'd need a SD card for this and some cameras can be "fussy" about what cards, how big and how fast they are.

I'll update with more questions later.

Thank you!!

C

6 hours ago, Ken Abrahams said:

Enjoy the Camera, best purchase you will make. 

Thank you all!!

I'm tracking it, on the FedEx truck for delivery today.

I'm guessing as soon as it arrives, I'll open it up and get the battery on the charger.

For post processing, what do most of ya'll use for the Monochrom?

I've been trying to get away from the Adobe products, I don't agree with the "rental" model for software.

I had been using and enjoying ON1 RAW, but they didn't let me tether fully to my cameras, and I looked into Capture ONe.

While C1 is a bit clunky in user interface, I did find I liked it's RAW processing and color tools....and had the Fuji profiles for my GFX.  So, I've been using that.

I contacted ON1 to see if they would work with the M10M, and they said the new version soon to be released with work with the M10-R, and "guessed" it would do fine with the Monochrom version.

I then looked at C1 and I believe I saw on their site that that they specifically work with the M10M.

I've got a yellow and orange filter (B&W) here to put on my M10M lens.  But I'm going to have to learn how to best process my black and white images since I will not have any color information to play with in post, like when shooting on a regular color camera and just converting to B&W.

Anyway, what tools do you use in Post for the M10M?

Any tips/tricks you might suggest for M10M images?

Thank you in advance !!

cayenne

@Cayenne, I am using the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Cards and am pleased with them; the 170 MB/sec is plenty of read/write speed in my experience. 

I recall reading somewhere that the M10 Mono does not support a read/write speed of 300 MB/sec.  Therefore paying $98 per card for the the SanDisk 64GB 300 MB/sec vs. $20 for their 64GB 170 MB/sec rated cards does not make sense.  You would see some improvement in download speed from the card to your computer but not in read/write speed in the camera.  Here is a discussion related to this: 

Regarding the issue of freeze ups, it seems this is an issue if you make multiple images in nonstop shooting, as a sports photographer covering a soccer or basketball game would; another cause seems to be overheating related to using the EVF.  I normally shoot a maximum of 3-4 images continuously and I do not use an EVF.  I have never had my M10M freeze up.  Here is a discussion on M10M freeze ups: 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

The $20 card is a good suggestion. Faster cards I guess are for video?  Video is not an issue with the M10M. David Farkas never re-uses cards. He keeps them as we used to keep negatives, as the ultimate back up. Maybe at $20 I should do that.

The freeze issue is not an issue for me. In the first week, I had it freeze once. Popped out the battery and continued. It has not reoccurred and I would not have given it another thought if I hadn’t seen it on the forum.

Downloading and reading the manual ahead of time is a good use of your waiting time, except by now isn’t the camera is in your hand?

Using a rangefinder takes about a week of practice to get muscle memory.  I had not used one since 2011. I also dropped the baseplate regularly. I now always change the card with the camera over a table. I found turning off the instant review helpful if I was shooting  rapidly. If I need to see the photo, I just press play..  incidentally, I just keep a yellow filter on all the time and never use a lens cap or lens hood. But that’s because a lens cap just slows me down, and lens coating today make  lens hoods  superfluous in my mind. 

Regarding processing,  it’s whatever interface you are comfortable with. I use LR and Photoshop plus SilverEfxPro. The subscription doesn’t bother me in absolute cost versus the cost of the camera. Download a trial of SilverEfxPro and have fun seeing how it can render boring clouds into fantastic clouds. See attached:

Finally, choose one of your images to get printed huge. By huge, I mean 20”x30” or 30”x45” . Such prints are no longer that expensive and since you have chosen a throwback camera device and a throwback choice of B&W, why not a throwback display: a print?

Jack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cayenne said:

For post processing, what do most of ya'll use for the Monochrom?

I've been trying to get away from the Adobe products, I don't agree with the "rental" model for software.

LR Classic, plus ImagePrint for printing, for all my cameras, including M Monochrom. Ten bucks a month for LR and Photoshop combined... silly cheap compared to all my other photo expenses, and not much different from licensing model, but includes every upgrade without messing around with purchases and installations. And Leica works with Adobe to ensure quick and excellent profiles, unlike other software companies.  And the LR file organization structure works well for my needs. Easy choice for me, as long as Adobe doesn’t force cloud storage, which I avoid.

Jeff

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LeicaS2 said:

The $20 card is a good suggestion. Faster cards I guess are for video?  Video is not an issue with the M10M. David Farkas never re-uses cards. He keeps them as we used to keep negatives, as the ultimate back up. Maybe at $20 I should do that.

The freeze issue is not an issue for me. In the first week, I had it freeze once. Popped out the battery and continued. It has not reoccurred and I would not have given it another thought if I hadn’t seen it on the forum.

Downloading and reading the manual ahead of time is a good use of your waiting time, except by now isn’t the camera is in your hand?

Using a rangefinder takes about a week of practice to get muscle memory.  I had not used one since 2011. I also dropped the baseplate regularly. I now always change the card with the camera over a table. I found turning off the instant review helpful if I was shooting  rapidly. If I need to see the photo, I just press play..  incidentally, I just keep a yellow filter on all the time and never use a lens cap or lens hood. But that’s because a lens cap just slows me down, and lens coating today make  lens hoods  superfluous in my mind. 

Regarding processing,  it’s whatever interface you are comfortable with. I use LR and Photoshop plus SilverEfxPro. The subscription doesn’t bother me in absolute cost versus the cost of the camera. Download a trial of SilverEfxPro and have fun seeing how it can render boring clouds into fantastic clouds. See attached:

Finally, choose one of your images to get printed huge. By huge, I mean 20”x30” or 30”x45” . Such prints are no longer that expensive and since you have chosen a throwback camera device and a throwback choice of B&W, why not a throwback display: a print?

Jack

Wow..thank you for the reply and all that info!!

I do intend to start printing MORE.

I think I heard someone say  there are millions of images shot every day that are doomed to never see the light of day again....what a waste.

I"m just hoping to get better and come up with wall worthy images to print large and FRAME.

:)

I may run out of wall space, but hoping I can find homes for some of them when that happens.

My camera arrived just a bit ago, I've attached the camera strap, lens (I started with a Voightlander  35mm f/2 Ultron to start with. 

I am about to attach the yellow filter to it.

Right now, I'm awaiting the battery to fully charge!!!

And...am about to start reading the manual.

A quick extra question please:  Is there any way to figure the "born on date" of when the camera body was made via the serial number?

It appears the SN# is the one engraved on the top on the hot shoe, right?

I've been googling and can't find how to get the manufacture date. One link pointed me to a French site, I can't read French...but tried entering this number with the various permutations of the choices and got nothing useful out of it.

Thank you all again for such wonderful input!!

C

The serial number may or may not match when the camera finished assembly. The serial number is on the hot shoe, but I have heard of assembles being in batches where a serial number gets used in a very different time frame. I do not know of a way to get your born on date, but if anyone knows, someone on this forum will know.

Regarding wall space for print display, when I ran out of wall space, I mounted prints on board, added a matte, and stacked them on an easel for viewing. No wall space used, and eliminated the highest cost of printing - framing. Now days, I use a photoshopped matte and have the photo mounted on styrene. It makes the prints firmer but quite thin, allowing more in a stack.

• Like 1

First I want to say that I'm glad for you getting the M10M - i remember this emotions when it was few days before getting the M10M) It's so amazing camera you will not be disappointed for sure. 
About card. There is always a few words about cards in the manual, so I see no reason why not to choose one from the range that Leica recommends.

i use LR + sometimes silverefexpro2 - they looks familiar for me and has enough functions to do anything (I'm not a professional)

• Like 1

Well, I shot the new M10M this weekend...and WOW..talk about FUN!!

Oh boy, I got a lot to learn, but that's half the fun of a new toy/tool.

I"m working out the manual metering, with hand held meter, but also played with sunny 16 rule, but was alternating with yellow and orange filter and trying to remember to keep in mind the 1-2 stops of the respective filters....etc.

I played with bracketing a few shots on the camera for very high dynamic scenes....and I'm learning in Capture One (which itself is a bit new to me still) how to best process monochrome images with no color info underlying them.

Here's a few of the shots I did....NOTHING to write home here about, but mostly testing my eye to learn how to see in contrast and luminance for B&W....some a bit abstract and some just because that was what was in front of me at the time, for practice.

I think I have them sized for the forum to post so here:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Hmm..I uploaded 2 images.

It isn't letting me upload any others, keeps saying I have a 1.95mb limit....I"m choosing images less that that size, even single files.

Is the post limit 1.95mb total for a thread or something?

Thanks in advance,

C

I think there is a daily limit or upload quota. Unless that is you pay for the year subscription which allows for more image uploads.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, Cayenne said:

Wow..thank you for the reply and all that info!!

I do intend to start printing MORE.

I think I heard someone say  there are millions of images shot every day that are doomed to never see the light of day again....what a waste.

I"m just hoping to get better and come up with wall worthy images to print large and FRAME.

I may run out of wall space, but hoping I can find homes for some of them when that happens.

My camera arrived just a bit ago, I've attached the camera strap, lens (I started with a Voightlander  35mm f/2 Ultron to start with. 

I am about to attach the yellow filter to it.

Right now, I'm awaiting the battery to fully charge!!!

And...am about to start reading the manual.

A quick extra question please:  Is there any way to figure the "born on date" of when the camera body was made via the serial number?

It appears the SN# is the one engraved on the top on the hot shoe, right?

I've been googling and can't find how to get the manufacture date. One link pointed me to a French site, I can't read French...but tried entering this number with the various permutations of the choices and got nothing useful out of it.

Thank you all again for such wonderful input!!

C

I also started with a Voightlander  35mm f/2 Ultron then added a Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 and both are great on the M10M. You will love your new Monochrom.

Edited by grantcline
  • Like 1