M10M Vignetting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been noticing increased vignetting when using the M10M with the 35 Summicron f2 (plastic hood) compared to the M9M camera with the same lens and hood. (no filter used). I can't remember having to use the lightroom adjustment for vignetting with M9M, even with the 21 SEM. This image is a jpg of the unprocessed DNG file.

You can't see it as much here compared to the raw file view unless you click on it. It took 13 points on the adjustment slider to 

correct. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ken Abrahams

Finished image

23 minutes ago, SrMi said:

What is your "Shading Correction" setting?

Its up around 35 on the vignetting slider (Lens correction module) SrMi,  not as stated in the post above. "13" must be typo. 

Is that what you are asking?

Edited by Ken Abrahams

Image goes through lightroom for initial lens correction, sharpening and reduce highlights  -100%, sharpening mask applied

Then over to Photoshop and curves adjustments starting with auto curves

something like below. I usually have a very long series of layer adjustments but not this image

7 hours ago, Ken Abrahams said:

Its up around 35 on the vignetting slider (Lens correction module) SrMi,  not as stated in the post above. "13" must be typo. 

Is that what you are asking?

There is an in-camera setting "Shading Correction". Setting it to ON reduces vignetting, discussed in this thread:

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems a contrast curve (and exposure) issue, not a vignetting issue. The whole pic seems flat and grayish, which is the typical nature of digital files from high dynamic range cameras.  Output is more linear and requires interpretation and adjustment.  Film’s characteristic curve took care of this as a starting point.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Perhaps relevant is that I've found that when an image has a lot of darks I invariably need to boost the low end of grays with the M10M. Sometimes a curve adjustment with just the lower 1/4 of the curve, the rest brought back to the original straight angle. Sometimes by adjusting "shadows" in C1, which can look more natural in some cases. And yet, when I am shooting with an M10, I rarely need to adjust the darks except for making the low end lower, but then I shoot with a number of old lenses which often are lower contrast. I was thinking that since there is so much shadow recovery available in the M10M, the sensor and firmware "see" the data down there as rich and okay, but to our eyes it looks too dark. So to summarize, a small amount of vignetting may be exaggerated with the M10M, since it retains so much data at the low end of tone.