Leica Monochrom CCD Raw Files (2nd generation sensor)?

kristyansen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All, 

I am considering acquiring a MM1 with the second generation sensor.

At the same time I would like to investigate the capabilities of RAW files as most of the posts I see are processed JPG files which tend to be quite contrasty. Also original MM1 sensor seemed less contrasty. 

Would any of you have the possibility to post a link to RAW files (different luminosity levels, especially people shots, close by and also street shots)? Any support kindly appreciated. 

I don't have any link to RAW files. But I had the original sensor in my M Monochrom replaced with the new non-corroding version, back in 2016.

I've only ever shot RAW with this camera and I cannot see any difference at all between the output of both sensors. My understanding is that it's not the sensor which is of a different design, but rather the thin cover glass which caused the corrosion problem.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb colint544:

I don't have any link to RAW files. But I had the original sensor in my M Monochrom replaced with the new non-corroding version, back in 2016.

I've only ever shot RAW with this camera and I cannot see any difference at all between the output of both sensors. My understanding is that it's not the sensor which is of a different design, but rather the thin cover glass which caused the corrosion problem.

Thanks so much, Colint. I know that the cover glass was the reason. At the same time, while having owned an M9 before and after sensor change (before my current M9) I know that the signature had changed - great to hear that the monochrom seems more stable. It would be great to have a few raw files to understand the type of sensor response.

• Like 1

I don't have a way to send you a raw file but the attached are:

1. OOC RAW - saved to Jpeg with no edits to post here --> The files come out of the camera very flat and grey (blank canvas)

2. RAW file over edited for emphasis of how much can be done in post

*excuse the crap image but I didn't feel like digging through the archive

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Editing is limitless and in my view, if you want to use the images out of camera without editing I wouldn't get the M9 Monochrom. That said, its an amazing camera with incredible capabilities. Same as above; shot RAW, one unedited and one edited. 

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 2

First shot is the RAW file, from my M9M, fitted with the new sensor.

Second shot is the finished picture, with levels/contrast done, and a small amount of burning and shading. The woman is not even sharp, the shutter speed was slow, and there is some movement blur. 

With the M9M - with any M Monochrom - you have more detail and flexibility than likely you would ever realistically need. You can bend the levels in any direction, and crop as tight as you like. If anything, there is too much flexibility in the files. If you don't exercise restraint, you can end up with pictures which look unrealistic.

• Like 2

I sent a PM with 4 links to DNG files.

The selection of Lens and Contrast filter makes a much larger difference to contrast than any possible effect from the sensor with new Cover glass. I could not see any difference.

I sent three images that are very similar, taken with different lenses. Lens choice makes a big difference in recording light levels on the M Monochrom. Use a medium to low contrast lens will help control highlights. There is a lot of room in the image to boost shadows.

Xenon 5cm F1.5 (uncoated) and Canon 50mm F1.4, both wide-open. JPEGs processed using my own code, adds a Gamma curve. Same curve used for both. Links to the DNG files are raw, straight out of camera.

Edit- Just added the Modern Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton, also wide-open. It was "Double-Gauss" lens day for me. 1930s, 1950s, and 21st century.

I need to try out my 1950s Nokton on the M Monochrom using an adapter, it on my Voigtlander Prominent.

Edited by BrianS

Thank you all for the files, experience and advice.

These are great points.

Definitely I believe that post-processing is needed; I wanted to understand how the RAW files allow this flexibility indeed and I see that this is possible. 

• Like 2