Photographers on a Bicycles

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just purchased my first bike and the main reason is related to photography. I'm often stuck in the car and I have a feeling I'm missing so much things not being able to shoot, just because I cannot stop the car anywhere I want. So I though I'd be more versatile with the bike. And, here I am. I bough the road bike and I did my first ride today. I don't have any special additional gear, but I'd like to hear how do you carry your cameras while on the bicycle? At the moment, I'm using Peak Design Sling Bag 6L to carry my SL2, which is quite ok, because I can easily and quickly reach the camera, but I'd also like to try some of those bags that attaches to the bicycle. I just didn't found anything I like so far, and of course that will protect my heavy and expensive SL2 and its massive lens.

Edited by hirohhhh

I used to carry a Leica film CL in a handlebar mounted bag when I toured on bicycle. The Rectangular bag mounted firmly on a frame and the zippered top flipped open to the front, making it easy to grab the CL. I kept the 40mm Summicron-C on the camera, and the 90 Elmar-C fit next to it.

2 hours ago, BlackDoc said:

Have a look at here (german side), and if you need more details or another special version of their bags i am sure they can help you.

Joern

I already have the Ortlieb Quicklock 2.1 on my bike, so the bikebag4 looks an option if I'm carrying more than a camera. An insert for my Ortlieb Office Bag might be more convenient though.

I guess I'm different because when I get on my bike I just want to keep pedalling and find photography a distraction. But the Ortlieb range of bags are extremely good, well designed and very waterproof. With an SL and lenses it needs to be frame/pannier mounted and not on the bars which would be dangerous. Anything lighter/smaller can be mounted on the bars or in the triangle, don't carry hard objects on your back no matter how well wrapped because if you come off injuries can be serious.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, hirohhhh said:

I just purchased my first bike and the main reason is related to photography. I'm often stuck in the car and I have a feeling I'm missing so much things not being able to shoot, just because I cannot stop the car anywhere I want. So I though I'd be more versatile with the bike. And, here I am. I bough the road bike and I did my first ride today. I don't have any special additional gear, but I'd like to hear how do you carry your cameras while on the bicycle? At the moment, I'm using Peak Design Sling Bag 6L to carry my SL2, which is quite ok, because I can easily and quickly reach the camera, but I'd also like to try some of those bags that attaches to the bicycle like 2 stroke or 4 stroke motorcycle. I just didn't found anything I like so far, and of course that will protect my heavy and expensive SL2 and its massive lens.

I've got a SON dynahub on my bike, which helps me to charge USB devices (havent tried it with my camera batteries as yet though).

The sheet to which I am connected can easily be draped on the rear baggage bins while cycling. Another consumer was riding from Austria to Turkey and used a folding solar panel to charge his electronics while on the go.

In addition, every day, riding from dawn to dusk isn't about cycling. Most people can find a camp site a few hours in advance and have several days off from either rest or sightseeing. It is therefore easy to create a routine with charged batteries ready to be delivered (especially when you have 6 or more batteries like me!).

• 1 month later...

Reporting back.......

I now have an Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Classic and camera insert, which just contains the SL and one of the summicron-SL lenses, or comfortably holds the CL with any TL lens and a bit of space. Fitting it takes care, and I had to relocate my headlight bracket, but once attached it is just what I needed - except I wish it had a top handle.

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs O. & I both use  Ortlieb Ultimate 6's on our Genesis touring bikes, both bikes are fitted with drop bars so there isn't a lot of room with the bag attached.  Bar mounted front lights will need a extension bracket of some sort to get around the bag .  My front light extends slightly in front of the bag, her light is clamped to a hanging bracket and is below the bag. 

I either take a Yashica T5 compact film p&s or an old Nikon D200 in the bar bag. 

Edited by Ouroboros

• 2 years later...

Interesting topic.

I'm also thinking to somehow mix my passion for photography and cycling. Currently own Leica M cameras but think to add Ricoh due to its low weight and nice sharp lens. Any other recommendation from experienced "Leica cyclists"?

14 hours ago, Cobram said:

Interesting topic.

I'm also thinking to somehow mix my passion for photography and cycling. Currently own Leica M cameras but think to add Ricoh due to its low weight and nice sharp lens. Any other recommendation from experienced "Leica cyclists"?

When even Leica M seems too heavy, I use my Fuji X100F. It's pocketable, not as much as Ricoh GR, but it has other advantages like OVF/EVF that I absolutely use 100% of the time.