Best LTM to M-Mount adapter for Voigtlander 15mm V1

gettons

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello there,

I have a voigtlander 15mm 4.5f version I (screw mount lens) that I need to mount on my M3 and M10 cameras.

Therefore I am interested in buying one of these adapters: https://shop.cameraquest.com/leica-39mm-screw-mount-lens-to-leica-m-mount-body-adapters/

I believe they are all the same, except for the 6bit coding, which would lead to different framelines in leica rangefinder cameras.

Now, what I am not getting, is why they recommend the 35/135 here https://shop.cameraquest.com/leica-screw-mount-to-leica-m-adatpers/rayqual-24/35/135-6-bit-coded-leica-screw-mount-type-iii-leica-screw-mount-lens-to-leica-m for lenses wider than 28. To me this adapter should be used for 35/135 lenses.

If any, this one here, the 28/90 https://shop.cameraquest.com/leica-screw-mount-to-leica-m-adatpers/rayqual-28/90-6-bit-coded-leica-screw-mount-type-iii-leica-screw-mount-lens-to-leica-m-bod , should instead be used, as it is the closest to lenses that are wider than 28.

Could you please explain what the reasoning behind that might be and which would you would recommend for my 15mm voigtlander?

Note: I know the decision on which one to buy will not give me 15mm framelines anyway, however the closer the better imho.

No idea. Possibly a compatibility issue when focusing some coupled lenses - worth inquiring with Stephen Gandy if you are curious. However, I'm sure you are aware that your lens is not RF coupled, so this shouldn't affect you.

FWIW, I just mounted a Rayqual Type III 28/90 (your last link) on my copy of the CV 15/4.5 v1 and it works perfectly fine on my M10.

On a side note, using an expensive Rayqual adapter on such a lens is a bit of an overkill IMO: since the DoF provided by this lens is so large, even a cheap eBay adapter will do the job. In any case, you'll have to focus by estimating the subject distance - or by using LV/EVF on the M10. If you are planning to use the latter, just make sure that the adapter you choose covers the 6-bit sensor area (as indeed does the Rayqual Type III), else you'll get the dreaded "No lens mounted!" message. 

The VF frame lines are not affected by 6-bit coding - they are selected by different machining on one of the mount's bayonet lugs, and there are only 3 choices (35 & 135, 50 & 75, 28 & 90) - so there are no frame lines for wider than 28.

The 6-bit coding (or manual selection)  and frame line detection combination may affect the EXIF and vignetting / color cast corrections on some lenses, but I think any adapter that covers the 6-bit detection area of the body should work with a 15mm lens.

25 minutes ago, Ecar said:

No idea. Possibly a compatibility issue when focusing some coupled lenses - worth inquiring with Stephen Gandy if you are curious. However, I'm sure you are aware that your lens is not RF coupled, so this shouldn't affect you.

FWIW, I just mounted a Rayqual Type III 28/90 (your last link) on my copy of the CV 15/4.5 v1 and it works perfectly fine on my M10.

On a side note, using an expensive Rayqual adapter on such a lens is a bit of an overkill IMO: since the DoF provided by this lens is so large, even a cheap eBay adapter will do the job. In any case, you'll have to focus by estimating the subject distance - or by using LV/EVF on the M10. If you are planning to use the latter, just make sure that the adapter you choose covers the 6-bit sensor area (as indeed does the Rayqual Type III), else you'll get the dreaded "No lens mounted!" message. 

That's why I inclined to go for the Rayqual, otherwise I may risk getting the "No lens mounted!" message, which apparently happens on Voigtlander and Leica adapter according to one of the comments here

And yep, I am aware I won't be able to focus with the m3 rangefinder nor the m10 one (but I will with liveview).

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

There are no framelines on the M for 15mm lenses. Any LTM to M mount adapter should be fine.

and turn lens detection OFF in the menu.   The six bit sensor is not in play, so no warning!    You will need to frame using live view,    or an external viewfinder (15mm) or the EVF fitted in the hotshoe.

Edited by lucerne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, lucerne said:

and turn lens detection OFF in the menu.   The six bit sensor is not in play, so no warning!    You will need to frame using live view,    or an external viewfinder (15mm) or the EVF fitted in the hotshoe.

I do not know about V1, but V3 works best with settings for WATE at 16mm (cyan drift and vignetting).

Edited by SrMi

9 hours ago, gettons said:

That's why I wonder why they recommend the 35/135 over the others.

Perhaps because they consider that the 35/135 would give the least cluttered view through the viewfinder owing to the presence of the obsolete but visible frame lines. The 28/90 would be similarly uncluttered with the 28 mm frame lines a bit further out but the 90 mm frame lines might be more intrusive.

The 50/75 would give the most cluttered view.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

I have the same lens and several adaptors. With my M2 any adaptor works. The only time I have found an issue is when using either 6 bit coding or selecting the lens manually with my M10.

If you select the WATE 16mm option you need a 28/90 adaptor;  if you use a different adaptor the camera won’t recognise the lens and apply any corrections. In addition if you then try to use live view the camera will say no lens attached and not allow live view unless you turn lens coding off.

Farnz’s point about the less cluttered viewfinder is valid but remember the lens field of view is much wider than the camera finder and the lens is not rangefinder coupled so you can’t focus through the viewfinder - which mean live view is useful unless you use an external finder and scale focus.

Graham

• Thanks 1