Well, I did it - my first digital M! The Leica M240!

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well - after a lot of back-and-forth, I finally did it! My first digital M - the M240. 

It was the safest and simplest option; and the most affordable. I figured it made sense as my entry into the Digital M game. 

I ALMOST went for an MD (and I still might) - but it was significantly more than this M240, so I thought I should make sure I love the digital M ecosystem first. 

I already shoot with an M6, so I'm right at home, and I have a 35mm Summicron v3 and a 50mm Summicron Collapsible that work like butter on this thing. Cannot wait to get out and shoot!

IMG_0152.HEIC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations! I’m fairly sure you won’t regret your decision - but you are right to ‘dip your toe’ in the water with the M240 before acquiring any more digital instruments. Spend at least two days shooting before you decide having also an MD in your life makes complete sense.. 😉

Edited by Denys
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bcap,

👍 best way to come "cheap" in the digital M.

Use it a while, maybe you'd not want another (or the one you think of earlier, M246 ?).

Now you can begin to use, then appreciate or not, only time will tell.

Why not just take some "frames" near you, in house or nearby to begin the digital M journey.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

Well - after a lot of back-and-forth, I finally did it! My first digital M - the M240. 

It was the safest and simplest option; and the most affordable. I figured it made sense as my entry into the Digital M game. 

I ALMOST went for an MD (and I still might) - but it was significantly more than this M240, so I thought I should make sure I love the digital M ecosystem first. 

I already shoot with an M6, so I'm right at home, and I have a 35mm Summicron v3 and a 50mm Summicron Collapsible that work like butter on this thing. Cannot wait to get out and shoot!

IMG_0152.HEIC 1.06 MB · 13 downloads

Congrats to a truly great camera, and "welcome" to also the digital Leica M world of photography! :)

Edited by martinot
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 4:21 AM, bcapphoto said:

...It was the safest and simplest option...I ALMOST went for an MD (and I still might)...I already shoot with an M6, so I'm right at home...

Many congrats on the M240, bcap, and may you have many fun days shooting with her!

If you are super-comfortable with using the M6 then I'd guess an M-D Typ-262 might be your perfect digital camera but, as Denys has already pointed out, perhaps give it a couple of days or so before you commit?...

Have Fun!

Philip.

P.S. : Looked at your site the other day. Great work!

Edited by pippy

41 minutes ago, pippy said:

Many congrats on the M240, bcap, and may you have many fun days shooting with her!

If you are super-comfortable with using the M6 then I'd guess an M-D Typ-262 might be your perfect digital camera but, as Denys has already pointed out, perhaps give it a couple of days or so before you commit?...

Have Fun!

Philip.

P.S. : Looked at your site the other day. Great work!

Thanks! I actually have a lead on an M-D locally here - they're HARD to find. Pretty good price, too - $5,700 CAD, so $4,100 USD - good price, eh?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bcapphoto said:

Thanks! I actually have a lead on an M-D locally here - they're HARD to find. Pretty good price, too - $5,700 CAD, so $4,100 USD - good price, eh?

Yes; they are hard to find. It seems likely that, considering it was a regular production model, there were comparatively few examples produced as discussed here;

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/297947-m-d-type-262-production-numbers/

The price seems very fair as well. If I were you - and it sounds like you have a 'hankering' - then I'd probably buy it knowing that in the unlikely event that you don't like it you will (probably*) be able to get your money back if you sell it on...

You're welcome!

:)

Philip.

* "No guarantees expressed or inferred"....

:lol:

Edited by pippy

• 1 month later...

I was about to switch from my M240 to the M10P, but after trying the new camera I decided to stick with the M240. It's a fantastic camera, extremely affordable and a great color rendering. You'll love it a lot. I suggest you to invest in some more lenses rather than in a quite similar camera (unless you think 4mm slimmer is your goal).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...