social distancing..naked

dkmoore

Very well done for your first attempt. The contrast between the bright body and the black background works very good, but the complete right side with the house in the background and the trees is (at least to me) distracting. A few steps to the left side and the photo would benefit a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, benqui said:

Very well done for your first attempt. The contrast between the bright body and the black background works very good, but the complete right side with the house in the background and the trees is (at least to me) distracting. A few steps to the left side and the photo would benefit a lot.

I have a few as you suggest but for some reason they didn’t speak to me. I Liked the feel of almost seeing through the house she is sitting on but I completely understand what you are suggesting and very much appreciate the feedback. Thanks and Your portraits are Always  excellent!

I see this completely differently. One thing I love in the image is the layers. The main subject in the foreground, the photo-in-photo in the background, and yes, Louis is right, she looks lost. But that is just the thing that makes the image interesting, so it should be emphasized in the composition. Put her in the lefthand lower corner, facing outwards -fortunately- into the emptiness and then let the eye wander right into the world in the distance to get lost. That creates tension and a sense of wistfulness and loneliness. Notice the diagonal from lower left to upper right?

Sorry to hijack your fine image, but I wanted to illustrate what I mean. I used content aware cropping to add a bit of area on the righthand side -it needs a bit of cloning..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

538535654_barnshot.jpg.09f7bb6edd6d1588627396fed587ac17.psd

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

This is what makes photography so interesting and so rich; we each have different "Eye", different taste and different "feel". And, each one of us is totally right; we only have different views. As I mentioned in my instagram, " My photography is my own perception of a reality...

Jaap, thank you very much for your very interesting and constructive comments. With the permission of the OP, this is what I meant, and how I see this fine picture. 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I see this completely differently. One thing I love in the image is the layers. The main subject in the foreground, the photo-in-photo in the background, and yes, Louis is right, she looks lost. But that is just the thing that makes the image interesting, so it should be emphasized in the composition. Put her in the lefthand lower corner, facing outwards -fortunately- into the emptiness and then let the eye wander right into the world in the distance to get lost. That creates tension and a sense of wistfulness and loneliness. Notice the diagonal from lower left to upper right?

Sorry to hijack your fine image, but I wanted to illustrate what I mean. I used content aware cropping to add a bit of area on the righthand side -it needs a bit of cloning..

538535654_barnshot.jpg.09f7bb6edd6d1588627396fed587ac17.psd 318.92 kB · 0 downloads

I did not even think to put her on the far left and I like the added drama. I always want to put thing on the right or center but this does create uncomfort in a good way. Nice suggestion.

i took one with more negative space on the right which will help with cropping. 

Edited by dkmoore

30 minutes ago, Louis said:

This is what makes photography so interesting and so rich; we each have different "Eye", different taste and different "feel". And, each one of us is totally right; we only have different views. As I mentioned in my instagram, " My photography is my own perception of a reality...

Jaap, thank you very much for your very interesting and constructive comments. With the permission of the OP, this is what I meant, and how I see this fine picture. 

I like all three!  😂

I'm going to print all three and see if that settles it for me.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

I have a few as you suggest but for some reason they didn’t speak to me. I Liked the feel of almost seeing through the house she is sitting on but I completely understand what you are suggesting and very much appreciate the feedback. Thanks and Your portraits are Always  excellent!

I see what you mean and from your point of few, it works too.  I like Louis version too. It is more focussed to your model, nothing disturbs my view. This is the good part in the forum: we can discuss our photos in a very constructive way without any prejudices.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pop said:

I think it might be worthwhile to flip Japp's version horizontally, so that she looks to the right. This makes the diagonal mentioned by Jaap the main diagonal which most viewers are more comfortable with.

That does indeed change the feeling and includes the model instead of pushing her out. A totally different feel and more conventional, as you say. I think it removes some emotion, makes her isolation more voluntary..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Before I read any comments I thought how much I liked the framing and the house on the right. I think including the house/cabin on the right adds  some  pleasant drama to the photo. Cropping it out would cause it to be a nice portrait only, whereas the way it's framed now gives it a very good sense of place and context.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the various and views, it's a lovely.

One thing that occurred to me was that if, at the time of taking the picture you could have shot from a slightly lower position, then you could have aligned the path with the board the subject is sitting on, which would have created a single almost continuous line and 'married' both sides of the picture together and added to the harmony.

Of course that might not have been possible or feasible so, with my apologies, I've adjusted your original picture to show what such a change might have looked like.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2020 at 9:29 AM, farnz said:

I agree with the various and views, it's a lovely.

One thing that occurred to me was that if, at the time of taking the picture you could have shot from a slightly lower position, then you could have aligned the path with the board the subject is sitting on, which would have created a single almost continuous line and 'married' both sides of the picture together and added to the harmony.

Of course that might not have been possible or feasible so, with my apologies, I've adjusted your original picture to show what such a change might have looked like.

Pete.

Interesting. The thought hadn’t crossed my mind but i like the change because the road isn’t coming out of her back and doesn’t point directly to her. I could have gotten lower for sure and I don’t think I tried the perspective. I’ll have a look at my catalogue. 

I have a habit of moving on when I think I have the shot I envisioned and I don’t take many shots in general, but I should slow down and take more perspectives. 

• Thanks 1