Canon 85mm f1.8 LTM on LEICA IIIf (?)

Gregory

Hi Gregory

Canon make some nice ltm lenses, I'm a big fan.

But your suggestion is quite a short telephoto with very fast aperture...the Leica III viewfinder is not really very suitable for focus and framing.

I have no idea how it will mount though.

Knowing Canon extrema lenses, ltm, you might expect a fair bit of glow fully open...some like it others don't.

All best, and welcome Newbie...get involved with lots of pictures.

It really should not be a problem, because the LTM is a standard mount - any lens made for it should be interchangeable with any camera that uses it.

The early group of Canon rangefinders for which that lens is designed have the exact same extra slow-shutter dial on the front.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_II#/media/File:Canon_IIB_IMG_0372.jpg

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/Canon_RF/canonRF85mm.htm

Edited by adan

Thank you David and Adan! Canon started producing this lens in 1961, and the common Canon rangefinder this lens was mounted on was Canon 7 and later cameras. Canon lenses from 50s are very good in comparison to other LTMs and quite commonly used on Leica LTM cameras. I have 50mm f1.4 I am very happy with, and I know of people using 35mm and 85mm f2.0 on their Leica, but I have never seen or heard of anyone using Canon 85mm f1.8. I'm a little surprised by that since that lens has very good opinion. Maybe it is more rare.... I feel however that there should be someone out there who tried to mount this lens on Leica III camera...:).

I have used an 85 Nikkor f2 on a IIIc with no problem, it was just better on an M. A repair shop once told me that there is a slight difference in the mount to film distance for Canons to Leica IIIs, it only seems to affect telephotos, this was when I was having a problem focusing a Canon 135 on my M2. If you have the lens definitely try it, if you can't test it definitly ask the seller or tell them that you are a little apprehensive.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing your experience tommonego! The more I think about it the more apprehensive I am. The 60mm diameter lens might actually cover the range finder window on Leica III. I'm getting more and more convinced that this lens won't work on this camera. I wonder if I should get Nikkor 85 f2 or Canon 85 f1.9. What's your opinion of the Nikon lens? Your comment on Canon 135 on Leica III surprised me a little. I have 135 f3.5 and use it on my LEICA IIIf, and as far as I can tell I have no problem with focus. Have you also used any of Canon 85s? if so, what's your opinion when compared to Nikkor 85 f2? Which one is better in your opinion?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Canon 85/1.9 LTM. It's my standard portrait lens. I have no trouble focusing on the subject's nearest eye with any of my Barnacks. But it's very heavy as LTM lenses go. If I don't need the shallow DOF of the Canon I prefer my 90/4 Elmar.

FWIW, the Canon doesn't block the rangefinders but it does block enough of the 90mm frame of the IIIg to make that combination essentially useless. (I can't bring myself to put the 85mm SGOOD viewfinder on the IIIg. It just doesn't look right.)

Doug, thank you for your comment! Much appreciated:) It's good to know that you don't have any problems focusing with Canon 1.9. I'm aware of the weight of this lens, but it might be still a good choice for me. I need a portrait lens to shoot up close, wide open to get good separation. I think the Nikkor f2 lens is also heavy, maybe not as much (?). BTW, I use TEWE viewfinder and really like it (I used to to have VIOOH), it covers range from 35 to 200mm and it magnifies instead of making the view patch small for longer focal lengths (I also think it's more compact).

Am 16.10.2020 um 02:54 schrieb Gregory:

Thank you for sharing your experience tommonego! The more I think about it the more apprehensive I am. The 60mm diameter lens might actually cover the range finder window on Leica III. I'm getting more and more convinced that this lens won't work on this camera. I wonder if I should get Nikkor 85 f2 or Canon 85 f1.9. What's your opinion of the Nikon lens? Your comment on Canon 135 on Leica III surprised me a little. I have 135 f3.5 and use it on my LEICA IIIf, and as far as I can tell I have no problem with focus. Have you also used any of Canon 85s? if so, what's your opinion when compared to Nikkor 85 f2? Which one is better in your opinion?

The Nikon 85 f2 LTM was almost useless on f2, it actually seemed to be more f2.4 looking at negatives, lots of flare. From f2.8 on it was a very nice lens, the black one was nicer looking than the silver. I sold mine with my M2s, I had just bought a CL and didn't like the lens on the CL as the aperture ring moved with the focus ring, it had a long thread and almost a complete rotation from infinity to near focus. I had a beat up 90 Elmarit cleaned up. A photo probably at f5.6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!