Top Quality B&W Printer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, Gobert said:

Would be curious to see the difference in print quality with the p900

I assume that you mean compared to ET 8550.

Kevin Raber (PhotoPxl.com) has started reviewing it. His initial comment is that the color output of ET8550 compares very favorably with P700 that he owns ("super close in color match"). He also liked the B&W output but has not compared it with p700 yet.

IMO, the most significant advantage of that printer is that it is very approachable. The simplicity of printing and setup, the economy of printing (EcoTank), the small size, and the output's quality will hopefully entice more people to print their images.

42 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I assume that you mean compared to ET 8550.

Kevin Raber (PhotoPxl.com) has started reviewing it. His initial comment is that the color output of ET8550 compares very favorably with P700 that he owns ("super close in color match"). He also liked the B&W output but has not compared it with p700 yet.

IMO, the most significant advantage of that printer is that it is very approachable. The simplicity of printing and setup, the economy of printing (EcoTank), the small size, and the output's quality will hopefully entice more people to print their images.

I meant ET 8550 vs P900

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

I meant ET 8550 vs P900

P700 and P900 have the same print quality. Maximum printable width of ET 8550 and P700 is 13". P900 has 19" max. printable area.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

P700 and P900 have the same print quality. Maximum printable width of ET 8550 and P700 is 13". P900 has 19" max. printable area.

P900 is 17", not 19", but no practical limitations on length with roll paper.  It also has greater ink cartridge capacity than P700.  And regardless of Kevin Raber's conclusion, both P700 and P900 have greater number of color and black/grey inks than the 8550, with wider color gamut, although differences may or may not be apparent based on various factors, as I noted.  I also find better print quality with my P800 using ImagePrint than when using the Epson driver, but haven't tried the new Epsons.  Just as in darkroom days, having the same gear doesn't mean that each person will obtain the same image or print quality.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

P900 is 17", not 19", but no practical limitations on length with roll paper.  It also has greater ink cartridge capacity than P700.  And regardless of Kevin Raber's conclusion, both P700 and P900 have greater number of color and black/grey inks than the 8550, with wider color gamut, although differences may or may not be apparent based on various factors, as I noted.  I also find better print quality with my P800 using ImagePrint than when using the Epson driver, but haven't tried the new Epsons.  Just as in darkroom days, having the same gear doesn't mean that each person will obtain the same image or print quality.

Jeff

Thank you for the correction. I do not doubt that P900/P800/P700 have better quality than ET 8550, especially in the hands of knowledgable printers.

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@SrMi Thanks for including the ET-8550 in this thread. I was looking at getting a P906/P900 or one of the pro Canons but really wanted the economy of an EcoTank set-up. I was curious about this printer but reluctant after looking at other options. 

However, I purchased it today as I believe it will suit my needs, and one day I may look at upgrading if people seem willing to buy fine art prints.

• 1 month later...

Just had some great advice from Stuart in Reykjavik. My Epson 3800 has died after 10+ years. Have ordered an Epson P7500 (7570 in USA) which should be here in a week or so. He said that the P5000 is excellent too for B&W if you don’t mind the ink changes from MB to PB.

Edited by topoxforddoc

• 1 year later...
Am 29.3.2023 um 13:46 schrieb AceVentura1986:

In my original post, the link to my photos is shown as I intended: RalphVentura.com. However, in the quoted text it’s hijacked and replacedit. Weird. 

Maybe a moderator will want to look at this. 

Use the report button.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Not much new.  Consensus on best 17 inch printers remains the Epson P900 and Canon Pro 1000.  Different printer head and head cleaning approaches, but both potentially superb for color or B&W. Both companies make smaller (13 inch) versions as well as larger beasts.

There are dedicated B&W ink methods (e.g., Piezography), but modern machines, inks and editing software are now good enough that color machines can produce marvelous B&W, especially given the diversity of quality papers.

Just as with picture making, and most every aspect of photography, results depend as much or more on the user as the tools.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I think a lot of people would like to see new models. Covid-19 might have delayed development, but it is time for the next step. Especially on the subject of inkt spill, or costs of inkt per print, there is still a lot to improve.

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, Jeff S said:

Not much new.  Consensus on best 17 inch printers remains the Epson P900 and Canon Pro 1000.  Different printer head and head cleaning approaches, but both potentially superb for color or B&W. Both companies make smaller (13 inch) versions as well as larger beasts.

There are dedicated B&W ink methods (e.g., Piezography), but modern machines, inks and editing software are now good enough that color machines can produce marvelous B&W, especially given the diversity of quality papers.

Just as with picture making, and most every aspect of photography, results depend as much or more on the user as the tools.

Jeff

I would add to this good summary, that the one variable that is mostly missed yet matters a hell of a lot (IMHO) is the quality of the paper you select for printing, for both colour and monochrome prints. Best to select a decent paper that has an ICC profile for your printer and then you will get great results. I use Hahnemuhle papers, almost exclusively now, mostly with a matte finish in both A4 and A3 sizes on an Epson SC P600. I also use only Epson ink refills FWIW. There are some great Ilford papers also with ICC profiles, but I am finding decent photo/art paper harder and harder to find and the prices are escalating way faster than inflation, at least in Australia.

I will do some searching around the forum, but if anyone has any tips on how I can get the P600 to print on both sides of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Duo, please send me some tips. I find that once I have printed anything on one side, reloading the paper for further printing always ends up in a rejection from the printer.

10 minutes ago, malbooth said:

I would add to this good summary, that the one variable that is mostly missed yet matters a hell of a lot (IMHO) is the quality of the paper you select for printing, for both colour and monochrome prints. Best to select a decent paper that has an ICC profile for your printer and then you will get great results. I use Hahnemuhle papers, almost exclusively now, mostly with a matte finish in both A4 and A3 sizes on an Epson SC P600. I also use only Epson ink refills FWIW. There are some great Ilford papers also with ICC profiles, but I am finding decent photo/art paper harder and harder to find and the prices are escalating way faster than inflation, at least in Australia.

I will do some searching around the forum, but if anyone has any tips on how I can get the P600 to print on both sides of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Duo, please send me some tips. I find that once I have printed anything on one side, reloading the paper for further printing always ends up in a rejection from the printer.

I and others have written in dozens of threads about importance of, and differences in, papers (and inks). I even mentioned the diversity of quality papers in the post you quoted. The topic more frequently missing is the criticality of display lighting, and glass types.

For profiling, I use ImagePrint, which provides machine specific, superb profiles for virtually all papers, along with full time soft proofing. Also discussed frequently.

The search function will keep you busy for days.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S