Top Quality B&W Printer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't like the fact that the iPF 300 only uses 9 BW/colors instead of the full 11 BW/color Lucia ink set.  (The Chromatic Optimizer is clear of course and doesn't count as a color.)  Like Jeff, the iPF 1000 is an easy call for me too.  And the iPF cartridges on the iPF 1000 do have residual ink when the printer says to replace them.  The real professional iPF Canon printers now have internal reservoirs so they cartridges are really empty when they are replaced.

By the way, my value-added Canon printer dealer says the "self-calibration" in the iPF 2100 is to insure consistent color across the print.  Paper profiling, or Image Print in Jeff's case, is still required.  I still plan to update to the iPF 2100 in a few months.

• Thanks 2

Canon uses the term "Pro" way too loosely.  Even though pigment printers, Canon considers the iPF 300 and iPF 1000 to be consumer products.  Consumers are very price driven.  The true professional printers are the 2100, 4100 and 6100.  These are the printers that can handle paper rolls as well as cut sheets.  The price for the 2100 may seem high until you consider it includes about $1000 worth of ink and doesn't waste ink when changing cartridges..  Also roll paper is way cheaper than cut sheets.  You can print across a 24" roll and print two pictures at a time, so two 8 1/2 x 11 prints only use 11" off the roll; admittedly that does waste 7" across the roll.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zeitz said:

Canon uses the term "Pro" way too loosely.  Even though pigment printers, Canon considers the iPF 300 and iPF 1000 to be consumer products.  Consumers are very price driven.  The true professional printers are the 2100, 4100 and 6100.  These are the printers that can handle paper rolls as well as cut sheets.  The price for the 2100 may seem high until you consider it includes about $1000 worth of ink and doesn't waste ink when changing cartridges..  Also roll paper is way cheaper than cut sheets.  You can print across a 24" roll and print two pictures at a time, so two 8 1/2 x 11 prints only use 11" off the roll; admittedly that does waste 7" across the roll.

Interesting points. I’ll add the 2100 to my spreadsheet and see what the numbers say. Buying extra ink is like mistakenly buying soap when you already have enough at home; it doesn’t matter because you will eventually use it. 

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good article that. My next printer will be Epson as I prefer the drivers, and will be geared specifically at photography for the profiles. And I’ll buy it with a new monitor.

Im incredibly lazy with everything after releasing the shutter. At some point I hope to rectify that.

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Excellent article. I think if the pro 300 had the same number of inks as the 1000, then I’d get the 300. The only major issue for me is really the quality of B&W prints and more grey should mean better image, at least in theory. 

23 minutes ago, AceVentura1986 said:

Excellent article. I think if the pro 300 had the same number of inks as the 1000, then I’d get the 300. The only major issue for me is really the quality of B&W prints and more grey should mean better image, at least in theory. 

Not just theory... reason why I listed this as one of my top 3 concerns, as b/w is my primary output. My P800 has the extra greys, as well as 80ml cartridges, compared to 50ml for P900. (And I wouldn’t be without ImagePrint for the same print quality priority...don’t know if Pro 300 is supported. Jon Cone’s Piezography provides all black inks, but is more complex and more limited than IP.)

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after much deliberation I finally took the plunge and ordered the Epson P700, even tho it’s ink is the most expensive per ML of the four I was considering. I ordered this one because I ultimately concluded that the number of prints I would need in excess of 12x18 would likely be so low that I can order these from a commercial printer and still not exceed the price difference between the 700 and the 900, especially when considering the additional cost of packages of the  larger paper. I also ordered an entire set of inks, sample paper and the overflow tank. Don’t even know that that tank is supposed to do but I figured that for $25 I might as well toss it in. Given that we’re in Passover week, B&H won’t even process the order till Monday so there’s ample time for people on this thread to convince me I’m wrong, LOL. 

Anyway, ultimately I concluded that there really wasn’t an ideal choice among the four I was considering but that each would likely do a fine job as well. 

2 hours ago, AceVentura1986 said:

Don’t even know that that tank is supposed to do

The official purpose of the tank is to "serve as a receptacle for waste ink during cleaning and normal startup subroutines".  Of course as a user I don't regard any ink as waste.  I would rather they have used the word "squandered".  You will soon be amazed how much of your expensive ink gets thrown away in that tank when it gets full and you have to replace it.

Always good to start printing, regardless of machine choice! Unfortunately the timing isn’t ideal price-wise due to the new Epson line and back orders. Later in the printer release cycle there will be substantial rebates, making the P900 purchase cost close to the current P700 cost.  And, by then, any problems with the new platform will have surfaced.  I’m a bit concerned by quickly scanning customer reviews at B&H (haven’t researched or looked elsewhere) regarding feed issues, etc. I hope Epson hasn’t taken any steps backwards, besides the already unfortunate reduced ink capacity. 

I’m delighted with my P800 for now, but if I needed a new machine, I would also consider the Canon Prograf 1000, which gets good reviews and still has 80ml cartridges.  But that’s just me.  I hope that you are thrilled with your new printer, whatever model, and get off to a smooth start. 

BTW, the B&H site shows that the P700 ships with an installed maintenance tank as well as a spare.  If so, I think it’s a bit soon to order another, but there could be a lot of waste changing small cartridges, and I don’t know the size of the new maintenance tanks.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so, I finally got and set up my P700. So far, so good. I'm pleased with the test prints I've made and look forward to at least a few years of printing with this. I also ordered a full set of inks at the same time and am very happy I did so as charging the lines leaves the inks only about 1/3 full.

Question: Am I OK turning it off when not in use or should it remain on 24/7 to avoid clogging the printer heads?

Thanks in advance.

I've just run a Nozzle Check with my Epson R3000.  It showed a couple of breaks so ran a Nozzle Clean only one clean needed for good Nozzle Check pattern.

Still quite happy with my R3000, even though the inks are expensive. But i don't see any good printers with bargain inks.

• Thanks 1

Since I quitted a long story of printing with Epson pro series, Im a lucky guy ( so happy to give away my Epson 3800 pro for 1 € ) , no longer a pro tool  maintenancer, a system managing is no longer required and no costs of space in my shop, no more frequently being asked after printings, to -use pressures-, expensive ink orgies , worked all well ( if ! ) and delivers nice results,  if you were in top shape, in software skills and more. If You have time, nerves room and the will to learn, just do it 

Conclusion for me: think twice if You really need a space ship, ore if you are down to earth guy .I learned printing is a serious profession, I prefere goin fishi`n  and I`d  now prefered low end printers and put more energy in the first step of the chain. There are top pro guys arround doing prints and costs are a promille, if required.  Just my two cents.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Gobert said:

Would be curious to see the difference in print quality with the p900

Depends on the photo, the accompanying paper (and size), profiles, as well as user skills and techniques.  The P900 offers a wider gamut, more color inks, more black/grey shades of ink (plus a matte black).  Not plug and play, any more than darkroom days.

Jeff

• Like 1