Why hot pixel just in JPEG?

EdricBF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I am still puzzled why my DNG files show no hot pixel but the corresponding JPEGs (option "DNG & JPEG...") do.

I have read here that DNG files were stripped of such pixels automatically, but I can't understand why the camera does not do the same to the corresponding JPEGs...

Does anyone know?

Thanks

The dead pixel is obviously 'dead' so it remains actively dead.

Lightroom and other RAW software will detect and auto map the file so you don't really see it.

Jap has explained already about the camera processing power.

In camera remapping is a different ball game, don't give up hope just yet, they may very well surprise you although, and don't quote me on this, I believe that IF they do develop a remapper of sorts, it will be similar to updating firmware, in that, you will download the file from Leica and execute it the same way you would update firmware, this of cause would solve the .JPG issue you are having too.. Well, that's just my personal take on it.

Maybe someone with great knowledge could develop it themselves, can't be THAT hard, can it?

Thanks, Marac, I sent my query to Leica USA with both JPEG and DNG samples attached, but the tech staff replied that they need to see the camera. Since I am in South America, that's not gonna happen: that red tiny thing does not bother me at all (I stick to DNGs), but certainly will if I decide to sell the camera to someone that needs to know facts about hot pixels and the difference between them and the infamous corrosion issue...

Cheers

I had a hot red pixel on my M9 original sensor, and also noticed it was mapped out by Lightroom when using DNG. I found the M9 in-camera jpg images were not nearly as good as the output from Lightroom - even with default settings (I don't like post-processing), so I didn't bother getting the camera corrected. Once I found a trace of sensor corrosion I had the sensor replaced (sensor and circuit board) near the end of Leica's free service, and of course that eliminated the hot pixel issue.

I find the m10 in-camera jpg files better than the M9, so I use them more often.