Is the M262 worth $1,000 more than the M240?

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started a very lively discussion over here: 

And I love the feedback I've gotten so far! So much so that I've got another further question to bounce off of the community here ... 

The M262 that I found is over the border (it's in the US, I'm in Canada). By the time I pay for shipping and get hit with duties (taxes) on the way over, the M262 is going to be $1,000 more than what I can get an M240 for here, locally (I found one). Alternatively, I found an M246 Monochrom that'd work out to be ~ the same price as the M262 that I found. 

Is the M262 worth $1,000 more than the M240?

Only you can decide if it's better choice.

I know it's very tough decision.

If it's same price I'd choose M246 over M262,

I have those over time, the M262 was offered as simpler/cheaper alternative of M240.

M246 was much more expensive "new" than M-P M240 .

I had mine M246 second hand three years old, so it doesn't count in balance.

M246 sucks for color.

And b/w conversions from a traditional M digital, with color array, offer far more flexibility in post via use of color channels.

(I still would choose....did choose....an M10.  And bought a mint used M Monochrom for a lot less than the M246 to satisfy the desire to 'see' and shoot/edit with an all-b&w workflow.)

Jeff

9 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Only you can decide if it's better choice.

I know it's very tough decision.

If it's same price I'd choose M246 over M262,

I have those over time, the M262 was offered as simpler/cheaper alternative of M240.

M246 was much more expensive "new" than M-P M240 .

I had mine M246 second hand three years old, so it doesn't count in balance.

Thanks for the feedback! I just want someone to make my mind up for me! 😅 haha

I’ll have a 240, Visoflex, RRS Arca Swiss baseplate, original unused baseplate, thumbs up support, leather half case, battery, charger, car kit, oem strap and all the original boxes and packaging for sale for $2500 next week if you’re interested, I’m near Chicago.

Edited by robsonj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

M246 sucks for color.

And b/w conversions from a traditional M digital, with color array, offer far more flexibility in post via use of color channels.

(I still would choose....did choose....an M10.  And bought a mint used M Monochrom for a lot less than the M246 to satisfy the desire to 'see' and shoot/edit with an all-b&w workflow.)

Jeff

Yea - see - I don't have any experience shooting a Leica Monochrom camera, so I don't know what to expect or how the Monochrom variants differ in IQ from the standard sensors. I know that I do shoot a fair bit in low light (kids), so having something that handles low light shooting is nice, and I heard great things about the M246. 

Just now, robsonj said:

I’ll have a 240, Visoflex, RRS Arca Swiss baseplate, thumbs up support, leather half case, battery m, charger, car kit, oem strap and all the original boxes and packaging for sale for $2500 if you’re interested, I’m near Chicago.

Yea - that's fair! With the M262 I'm looking at - it comes with an extra battery and half case. It's $2,900 USD, but shipping and duties will bring it up a fair bit once it crosses the border.

1 hour ago, bcapphoto said:

Yea - see - I don't have any experience shooting a Leica Monochrom camera, so I don't know what to expect or how the Monochrom variants differ in IQ from the standard sensors. I know that I do shoot a fair bit in low light (kids), so having something that handles low light shooting is nice, and I heard great things about the M246. 

Pretty simple... a Monochrom shoots b/w, not color (at least not without jumping through technical hoops).  And once the files are imported, one doesn’t have access to color channels (as with any color digital camera), which can be used to recover highlights, adjust tonal relationships, etc).  

The M10 Monochrom blows away the M Monochrom or M246 for high ISO shooting, but I personally couldn’t care less about ISO 50,000.  The M10 does all I need, including color if desired or nighttime shooting.  A good, fast lens helps, too.

Choices and styles are highly personal.  The best way to know is to demo, borrow or rent first. That’s what I do; surveys not meaningful.  YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bcapphoto said:

Yea - that's fair! With the M262 I'm looking at - it comes with an extra battery and half case. It's $2,900 USD, but shipping and duties will bring it up a fair bit once it crosses the border.

Btw, took a look at your m6 shots, really nice work!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Pretty simple... a Monochrom shoots b/w, not color (at least not without jumping through technical hoops).  And once the files are imported, one doesn’t have access to color channels (as with any color digital camera), which can be used to recover highlights, adjust tonality relationships, etc).  

The M10 Monochrom blows away the M Monochrom or M246 for high ISO shooting, but I personally couldn’t care less about ISO 50,000.  The M10 does all I need, including color if desired or nighttime shooting.  A good, fast lens helps, too.

Choices and styles are highly personal.  The best way to know is to demo, borrow or rent first. That’s what I do; surveys not meaningful.  YMMV.

Jeff

Yea - I'm in Canada and there's no where I can find where I can rent/try them 😪

3 minutes ago, bcapphoto said:

Nah - none. Plus - COVID, so I can't get over the border, unfortunately. 

My price includes shipping to CONUS and PayPal fees, just add the cost diff to Canada, whatever that would be, $20-30ish?

Just now, bcapphoto said:

Ah yea - it's duties. The border takes taxes and the courier charges duties, so it ends up being ~ $500 more 🤢

O wow, what do they base that on, declared value? I couldn’t declare it low as I only ship insured

Just now, robsonj said:

O wow, what do they base that on, declared value? I couldn’t declare it low as I only ship insured

Yea - exactly! That's why I'm trying to either find a way to get it over easier or find a local copy. The M240 I mention above is local so I'd go pick it up - no fees, no shipping, no duties, no taxes. 

• Thanks 1