VF Magnifiers

rpsawin

Many people on the forum find viewfinder magnifiers unsatisfactory.  I rather like mine.  Ultimately I suspect it's going to be a a personal preference issue on which others can only offer limited advice.

I have owned both the Leica magnifier and the Match Technical offering.  

I find the Leica version to be significantly more compact and more finely finished.  In my case I found that the image quality appeared to be degraded a bit.  After a bit of experimentation I discovered that I needed to add a Leica -1.5 diopter correction lens and the issue was completely corrected.  This MAY be something that you end up looking into.  I tend to leave mine in place with 50mm lenses and up.  It improved my 90mm hit rate significantly.

The Match Technical version has the benefit of being adjustable for diopter correction.  It is, however, significantly less compact and is finished more like a military component.  It also appears to have been discontinued, although it is common enough on eBay.

Pressed to select between the two, I would select the Leica with a diopter correction lens.

Edited by Good To Be Retired

12 hours ago, Good To Be Retired said:

Many people on the forum find viewfinder magnifiers unsatisfactory.  I rather like mine.  Ultimately I suspect it's going to be a a personal preference issue on which others can only offer limited advice.

I have owned both the Leica magnifier and the Match Technical offering.  

I find the Leica version to be significantly more compact and more finely finished.  In my case I found that the image quality appeared to be degraded a bit.  After a bit of experimentation I discovered that I needed to add a Leica -1.5 diopter correction lens and the issue was completely corrected.  This MAY be something that you end up looking into.  I tend to leave mine in place with 50mm lenses and up.  It improved my 90mm hit rate significantly.

The Match Technical version has the benefit of being adjustable for diopter correction.  It is, however, significantly less compact and is finished more like a military component.  It also appears to have been discontinued, although it is common enough on eBay.

Pressed to select between the two, I would select the Leica with a diopter correction lens.

Thank you for your comments. My 70 year old eyes need some help and I think this is the right solution for me. And I believe in spending $$$ wisely and top notch equipment is always a wise choice for me.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:19 PM, Good To Be Retired said:

In my case I found that the image quality appeared to be degraded a bit.  After a bit of experimentation I discovered that I needed to add a Leica -1.5 diopter correction lens and the issue was completely corrected.  This MAY be something that you end up looking into.

I have the same experience.  Without a magnifier I need a +0.5 or +1.0 viewfinder diopter to focus accurately.  When I add my Leica 1.25 or 1.4 magnifier I have to add a progressively stronger diopter to the magnifier to achieve the same focus accuracy.  Those with lower mileage eyes may not experience this, but the addition of the magnifier appears to change the optical distance in the viewfinder requiring more near focus accommodation (or correction).

28 minutes ago, Luke_Miller said:

I have the same experience.  Without a magnifier I need a +0.5 or +1.0 viewfinder diopter to focus accurately.  When I add my Leica 1.25 or 1.4 magnifier I have to add a progressively stronger diopter to the magnifier to achieve the same focus accuracy.  Those with lower mileage eyes may not experience this, but the addition of the magnifier appears to change the optical distance in the viewfinder requiring more near focus accommodation (or correction).

Someone posted in this forum that the Leica magnifier has a -0.5 (or perhaps it's a +0.5, memory fails and I would need to do research) built in and some people need to add an extra bit because of that)

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 12:24 PM, rpsawin said:

I am looking for comments on the use of either 1.25 or 1.4 Leica VF Magnifier. I plan on using it on a M262 with 75mm and 90mm lenses.

Thanks in advance.

I find the 1.25 perfect for the 75 - the 1.4 is good for the 90

• Like 1