Canon EF lens with Novoflex and Sigma 'L mount' adapters

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today recieved s/h Canon TS-E 90mm Mk I  (manual focus tilt and shift lens) and tested it using:

1)  Novoflex Canon EF to Leica L adapter on the SL 601 

2)  Sigma Canon EF to L mount adapter on Panasonic S1R

… all working fine ie RAW files show full EXIF data … lens ID shows as 90mm. Lens does not have an aperture adjustment ring  but the apertures set via the cameras show in EXIF data 

The Sigma Canon EF to L mount adapter does not work on the Leica  SL 601 (did not expect it to work but tried it) … warning message generated :  ‘Firmware not recognised Please update Firmware’  .. as if a firmware update might enable use on SL 601 … but unlikely Sigma would offer same 

However, if electronic contacts are ‘blanked out’ using small strip of ‘lifting tape’, it is possible to use the Sigma Canon EF to L mount adapter on the SL 601 … live view image  then shows on the SL 601 monitor … but cannot change lens aperture

But … s/b possible to pre-set the Canon lens aperture by mounting the lens onto an EOS camera … and then after removing lens whilst camera still switched on with lens stopped down … lens should remount remount onto SL 601 with pre-set aperture … but I have not yet tried tried this 'workaround' 

BW

dunk 

Hello Dunk,

I would love this adapter to work and did buy one to try on my SL,TL2 and CL but could not get it to work with any of them. I contacted both Leica and Sigma for help. Leica were sniffy saying they did not comment on non Leica products, Sigma at first said it should work then later changed the advice to it will only work on post L alliance products, whereas the SD, TL2 and CL are all pre L alliance. Basically that is that although I do think the Sigma Web site could be more helpful.  Best regards, Don

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, Don Morley said:

Hello Dunk,

I would love this adapter to work and did buy one to try on my SL,TL2 and CL but could not get it to work with any of them. I contacted both Leica and Sigma for help. Leica were sniffy saying they did not comment on non Leica products, Sigma at first said it should work then later changed the advice to it will only work on post L alliance products, whereas the SD, TL2 and CL are all pre L alliance. Basically that is that although I do think the Sigma Web site could be more helpful.  Best regards, Don

Don the only EF-L adapter that works on the SL is the Novoflex, which they no longer make, there are used ones available.

The only Leica camera that the MC-21 works with is the SL2 in AFS mode, with excellent results.

Your best solution for the TL2 & CL is a dumb adapter, which will give you manual focus. If your lens has an aperture ring you will also have manual aperture control. If there's no aperture ring on the lens it will always operate wide open.

I did a test with the Novoflex & MC-21 adapters some months ago-

SL2: Sigma MC-21 vs Novoflex Adapters for Canon EF Lenses Test

Edited by michali

The adapter ... any L adapter ... works on any L mount camera as a 'dumb' adapter if the electronic contacts are 'blanked out' with e.g. lifting tape ... BUT ... try this at your own risk. I might try 'selectively' blanking out individual electronic contacts to establish if any lens to camera communications are possible. Does anyone know which contacts communicate which pieces of data eg aperture? 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

On 10/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, michali said:

Don the only EF-L adapter that works on the SL is the Novoflex, which they no longer make, there are used ones available.

The only Leica camera that the MC-21 works with is the SL2 in AFS mode, with excellent results.

Your best solution for the TL2 & CL is a dumb adapter, which will give you manual focus. If your lens has an aperture ring you will also have manual aperture control. If there's no aperture ring on the lens it will always operate wide open.

I did a test with the Novoflex & MC-21 adapters some months ago-

SL2: Sigma MC-21 vs Novoflex Adapters for Canon EF Lenses Test

There is a new adapter available from Fotodiox as well. It may appear that Leica is not supported (?) for now.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/leica-t-tl-sl-adapters/products/ef-lt-fsn

Very good value compared to Novoflex at least.

Edited by Ivar B
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ivar B said:

There is a new adapter available from Fotodiox as well. It may appear that Leica is not supported (?) for now.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/leica-t-tl-sl-adapters/products/ef-lt-fsn

Very good value compared to Novoflex at least.

Be careful, a user on this Forum had his SL fried by the Fotodiox adapter. I'll look for the thread & post the link.

EDIT- I found the link here it is: 

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 4:47 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

The adapter ... any L adapter ... works on any L mount camera as a 'dumb' adapter if the electronic contacts are 'blanked out' with e.g. lifting tape ... BUT ... try this at your own risk. I might try 'selectively' blanking out individual electronic contacts to establish if any lens to camera communications are possible. Does anyone know which contacts communicate which pieces of data eg aperture? 

dunk

There is not a specific pin that controls the aperture or focus.EF lenses (and I bet any other modern electronic controlled lens) use a digital bus where the control values are digitally encoded. 
The Canon EF us is one of the oldest buses around and we’ll documented (reverse engineered). Canon uses an industry standard SPI bus that is easy and cheap to work with.

Here is an example of an AF control using an arduino 

https://web.media.mit.edu/~bandy/invariant/move_lens.pdf

The L-mount as one of the newest mounts and I bet they have faster communication speed and they implement some form of digital rights management.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

There is a new adapter from Viltrox now: EF/ES-F to L-Mount AF Pro adapter. I could not find yet any word about the compatibility with original SL 601, of course I would be tempted because it's better made than Novoflex and has some compatibility with third-party lenses. I first heard about it when the Pro version got announced, but the original non-Pro has lots of reviews on american Amazon and yet I'm not sure whether there is risk of bricking the camera like with Fotodiox adapter... Has anyone used the Viltrox Pro or non-Pro version on their SL (Typ 601)?

Edited by marduk

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, marduk said:

There is a new adapter from Viltrox now: EF/ES-F to L-Mount AF Pro adapter. I could not find yet any word about the compatibility with original SL 601, of course I would be tempted because it's better made than Novoflex and has some compatibility with third-party lenses. I first heard about it when the Pro version got announced, but the original non-Pro has lots of reviews on american Amazon and yet I'm not sure whether there is risk of bricking the camera like with Fotodiox adapter... Has anyone used the Viltrox Pro or non-Pro version on their SL (Typ 601)?

What means better made? Just bought the Novoflex and it looks great to me. 

You are right, I am not explaining myself properly.  I am not worried about design aesthetics anyway, but with Viltrox one could gain compatibility with some 3rd party lenses like Sigma and many others at least theoretically, plus it has a USB port for firmware upgrades.

Some manufacturers publish list of lenses which is pretty long and has not only EF/EF-L glass from Canon while with Novoflex you pay (typically) more for less. I'm happy to be wrong but i think the described result of attaching a manual focus lens from third-party to Novoflex is that, the camera displays an error and doesn't work with the adapter, it shouldn't have been too hard to work in manual focus mode.... That's what is a bit disconcerting me :) If you or someone have a different experience, that concerns compatibility with 3rd party MF glass please speak up.

Edited by marduk
syntax, grammar