Cameras/ lenses storage

criolf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all!

There are several discussions regarding [what you take with you], [what bag are you using] (a never ending quest), etc., but I've seen no examples (correct me if I'm wrong) of how

everyone is keeping/storing their cameras and lenses at home. 

I have 3 bodies and several lenses that I keep in 2 "moisture proof camera bags" (humidity here is killing everything :( ), and I find it fiddly to get the camera out, check if it's the lens I want,

close the bag so it doesn't contaminate the silica packages I have inside, etc.

How do you do it: In bags? On shelves? Dry cabinet? Lenses on or off?  

Can you post some examples (photos)?

Thank you!

In the living room in our bookcase with glass windows, so it works as a display case to enjoy and show them. Unfortunately bookcases tend to get packed too much, so my next project is to select books to discard or move to the attic. We need to consult Marie Kondo for that. Of course the Netherlands is also humid but we have central heating which is quite dry in winter so using silica gel would be a bit overdone here. 

• Like 1

For me, the best and cheapest way to store is an HPRC suitcase (made of hard plastic) with silica gel packs in it. The suitcase is hermetically sealed and does not allow air - moisture. Three bags of silica gel (cca 80 g each) last more than half a year.

Regards.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everybody, 

I´ve had the same problem with the storage for my camera equipment for months till I found the dry cabinets as the best option for me. Not only do they reduce the humidity but also protect my gear from getting dusty and dirty while not in use. This type of camera storage also wins points because of the keyed door lock that protects my expensive cameras and lenses from getting ruined from my dog. Depending on the size of the dry cabinet you also have the opportunity to expend your gear and store it safely next to your old one. The only disadvantage of this type of storage is the high price. From my point of view, you should invest not only in expensive camera gear but also in its perfect storage. When it comes to travelling I always use my beloved backpack with padded dividers for extra protection. It is also waterproof. What do they say, the good storage keeps your camera alive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, tobey bilek said:

Do not use anything with closed cell black foam.  It outgasses and fogs inside of lenses.  Terrible stuff.

That 'outgas' and its sister 'offgas' have crossed my path twice today. I was on a Zoom earlier with a leading conservator discussing the conservation of photographic glass plates and while he recommended boxes and special paper sleeves for storage he also mentioned a foam called Plastazote. If it can protect glass plates, it might do the same job for glass lenses. It might be worthwhile getting in touch with the manufacturer https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Conservation-Materials/ShippingPacking/Plastazote-LD45 .

William