Is the M262 the perfect camera for me? Curious for your input!

bcapphoto

2 hours ago, marchyman said:

The downside is no live view. That could limit use with some lenses.   Since I don't use such lenses I am perfectly happy with my M 262.  My M usually has a 75mm Summicron attached.  Once in a while I'll swap the 75mm out for a 35mm lens, but mostly use my Q for the wider angles.

Yea - you're right. I only shoot with a 35mm and 50mm Summicron so I think I'd be ok!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

...I suppose with the M-D 262 you can still put the self timer on manually?...

Yes, Steve. With the M-D the On/Off switch is the old-fashioned digital-M "Off/Single/Continuous/Self-timer" with the timer pre-set to 12 seconds only.

Philip.

EDIT : I see Arnaud cleared it up earlier.

Edited by pippy

vor 8 Minuten schrieb steve 1959:

Yes it is and plenty of cameras have been using them going back many years.

I have two finders and the Frankenfinder lying around somewhere. Had to use these crutches for 28mm and wider before liveview was available. So glad I don't need them anymore. If you like them... great, but don't assume that there is a general love for external finders.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

...For me, M10-D was a move in wrong direction, so much had been added, even a faux wind-on lever !...

It's a strange thing; before I found my ex-demo M-D 262 I had a look at the M10-D and although the wind-on lever was, clearly, a bit of a novelty and a nod to the past I didn't mind it anywhere near as much as I disliked the change to the rear ISO dial nor the various 'Tech' changes the 10 brought out over the 262.

I could have lived with the 'wind-on-lever' quite happily but the tech stuff was defeating the whole raison d'etre of the M-D concept (IMO).

Philip.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom.w.bn said:

I have two finders and the Frankenfinder lying around somewhere. Had to use these crutches for 28mm and wider before liveview was available. So glad I don't need them anymore. If you like them... great, but don't assume that there is a general love for external finders.

Do not assume there is a general love for electronic version of life = live view.

Love my leica m262 but there is no current production leica that appeals to me due to features not required for photography.

Great that you like live view but imagine buying a beautiful rangefinder camera and looking at a electronic screen just like all the other cameras that have this feature?

vor 13 Minuten schrieb steve 1959:

Do not assume there is a general love for electronic version of life = live view.

Love my leica m262 but there is no current production leica that appeals to me due to features not required for photography.

Great that you like live view but imagine buying a beautiful rangefinder camera and looking at a electronic screen just like all the other cameras that have this feature?

This is getting ridiculous. I'm out.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:21 AM, bcapphoto said:

Hi there! I posted an intro post over in the Leica M Monochrom forum, but thought I'd say hi here too ... 👋

I've been a full-time professional wedding and portrait photographer for 15 years. I have been teaching photography (and the business of photography) to professional photographers for the last 7-8 years. I'm also the CEO and Founder at Sprout Studio, a studio management suite for professional photographers. You can check out my site at bcapphoto.com and my IG at instagram.com/bcapphoto. 

So - intro out of the way ... a bit about me and photography now. 

I've added film to my repertoire, personally and a bit professionally, for the last ~ 2 years. I shoot with a Leica M6 (35mm Summicron v3 and 50mm Summicron Collapsible), a Rolleiflex 2.8C, a Contax T3, a Shen Hao 4x5, an Olympus Pen EES2 and a handful of others. Here are some film images I've made in that Leica M Monochrom forum intro:

Anyway - I'm comparing the various Leica M digital bodies for what I'd like to get to see what will fit my preferences. Currently, I shoot with Fuji gear, digitally - a pair of XT3s and an X100V. I love my Fuji gear, but I also really love the experience of shooting with my M6 (rangefinder, manual focus, etc.) and I adore the character out of my 50mm Summicron Collapsible. 

I'd be shooting a digital M mostly personally, but I'd probably also start to incorporate it into my professional work and bring it to weddings for parts of the day and bring it for more documentary portrait work at my portrait sessions. Thus far, I've been between an M240, the MP240 and the M246 Monochrom. But tonight I came across the M262 and I think I'm sort of in love. 

• No EVF - no problem, I wouldn't use it anyway. 
  • No video - perfect, I'd rather have less features in a camera. I'd never use video on a Leica M digital body. 
  • Simpler menu system from what I can read. No problem! I'd rather have less features/functions/buttons - more akin to shooting with my M6. 
  • Smaller buffer - no problem, I won't be spraying-and-praying anyway. 

Is there anything else I'm not seeing? What other downsides are there to an M262 vs. an M240 or MP240? Does it sound like a good fit for me? Curious as to your experiences!

Wow, you do start many parallel threads... :)

From the other thread you started (also in this 240/262 forum):

I would skip the 262 for lack of live view (even if you do not care about EVF or film). Really great to be able to turn it on the the times you really need it.

Of the cameras you list above, I would go for the M-P version. It is the best of all worlds of all the cameras in this generation.

I love the 100% increased 2GB buffer (makes a big difference when you take several pictures, even if no M cameras are speed monsters) also the red fram line option (really great when I shoot in the dark and do not want to destroy my night vision), which I just now learned from another thread, is unfortunately no option in the 262.

Edited by martinot

On 10/6/2020 at 12:26 PM, tom.w.bn said:

When I decided to buy a M240 again, I stumbled over a nicely priced M262. I thought it was an M240 without video but it is without video and liveview. Luckily I got the information before I bought it. For me liveview is a must for wideangle landscape stuff.

Totally agree.

EVF is a maybe nice extra option, but to not have the possibility to (when needed) use live view in a digital camera is a show stopper for me personally.

57 minutes ago, martinot said:

Wow, you do start many parallel threads... :)

From the other thread you started (also in this 240/262 forum):

I would skip the 262 for lack of live view (even if you do not care about EVF or film). Really great to be able to turn it on the the times you really need it.

Of the cameras you list above, I would go for the M-P version. It is the best of all worlds of all the cameras in this generation.

I love the 100% increased 2GB buffer (makes a big difference when you take several pictures, even if no M cameras are speed monsters) also the red fram line option (really great when I shoot in the dark and do not want to destroy my night vision), which I just now learned from another thread, is unfortunately no option in the 262.

Hehe - I didn't know the ins and outs of the forum here and if the same folks frequent multiple different sections here or not. 

• Like 1