Looking for your input - MM, M246 or M240?

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Because he marketed his stuff heavily and became famous.  By now he would have written new books on new findings.  And in any case I suspect that he wouldn’t have cared a bit about chatter on forums.  He foresaw new things, wrote and talked about them, and looked forward to them.  He just knew that he was likely too old to see them.  But he likely would have loved the technology, and applied his own techniques. A dead duck?  More like a new toy to explore.

Jeff

Yes he would have moved on, but this is about the idea that the Zone system is applicable to digital photography, it is that assertion that would have baffled him, the argument suggesting digital and the Zone System are compatible is 'the dead duck'.

Edited by 250swb

15 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Yes he would have moved on, but this is about the idea that the Zone system is applicable to digital photography, it is that assertion that would have baffled him, the argument suggesting digital and the Zone System are compatible is 'the dead duck'.

There are plenty of articles...some bad, some good, including from some respected Adams’ disciples ...on adapting the zone system in a digital world.  I have no desire to discuss or debate them here.

Jeff

I do appreciate a lot when I first learned (still learning) to use at best the MM1, the very nice histogram (from DNG after picture taken) when needed,

with "zones" (not in ...same thing as Zone System ) which helped when the lighting is tricky.

I don't know why in later M246 the "zones" features is not used anymore, just plain histogram ( from jpeg ? )

15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

There are plenty of articles...some bad, some good, including from some respected Adams’ disciples ...on adapting the zone system in a digital world.  I have no desire to discuss or debate them here.

Jeff

So why start debating them? Oh yes, I know.....

Grab the M9M, you love B&W, then use your Fuji's for the graft work and use your M9M for 'those moments' even at Weddings, in fact, I have shot 2 weddings using Leica M9M but also had XT-1 for the colour and graft work.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My comments here have been about how Adams might have reacted to a Monochrom, as a b/w tool, irrespective of any application of the zone system.  Post #21 suggested another discussion altogether (at least different than the one I was arguing).  

Others in Adams ‘inner circle’ have already written about applying the zone system in a digital world.  That’s a whole different topic than the one I was thinking.  Alan Ross, one of Adams’ assistants is but one of many who has written on the subject.

https://www.alanrossphotography.com/can-the-zone-system-go-digital-2/

Jeff

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had an M9 and an M9M. I updated the M9 to the M240 and was happy with the upgrade. However, I got fed-up of having to carry two sets of batteries and chargers and so changed the M9M for the 246. The camera was better to actually use but I didn't think the output was as good as the M9M and so sold it. For a while I just converted files from the 240 and later M10 for Monochrome. I really missed the M9M and so last year bought a replacement which was in good condition and had the new sensor fitted. Yeah, the camera is slower but for me the output makes up for any shortcomings.

https://photographybytomlane.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

to the original: 

I like my MM1 (M9M). Of course the high iso of the new ones is great.

But there is one thing I like: the form of the grain, such as at 2.500 ISO. It is so natural, like the effect that Silver Effex also tries to create. Later monochromes are slick (that is, have less grain) and the photographic effect is different. 

just my 2¢.

traded in an MM and M240 for an M10M... 

in one sense, there was no real reason for this. The MM was just fine, and the M240 had lots of capability. But oddly, neither were getting enough use - the MM was slightly funky with aging electronics, and while its filmic qualities were great, it just seemed a bit limited. Not sure how to describe this, but coming at it from medium format, it felt more like I had a roll of TriX in the camera. I know.. that's a good thing, but it wasn't what was desired. The M240 was just a bit big. Both thoroughly capable. 

However, the M10M is another thing entirely. Days are measured by when one can shoot. It pulls you out the door....  not only the high ISO, the DR, but  the whole package just works well. The shutter is delightful. Live view is great when you need it....  you just want to keep going with the camera.Seductive. 

All of these are great - pick the one that works for you. 

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 1