M10-R battery power

Ranug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the Leica M10-R at the beginning of August. I am very satisfied with the camera in itself; actually, much more. I am really happy with the device.

It was only last week that I noticed that the camera draws a lot of power from the battery when it is switched off. Since I haven't managed to leave the camera for a few days yet, I can't give any concrete percentage values here. According to the current observations the loss of electricity is about 20% per day.

Is this "problem" possibly known or has somebody already noticed it? As long as I am not travelling, the thing is not problematic but still a bit annoying.

Greetings from Vienna

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hey Ranug and welcome to the forum,

Congratulation on your M10-R the results are fantastic! in regards to power consumption it all depends on your shooting style. Most on the forum will agree you can easily get 300 picture out of one battery and other will say 900+. Reality is if you chimp a lot, less battery. If you use live view, less battery, if you have the metering on, less battery. ANd if you use the visoflex, get ready to have it last 20 minuts. 

So the solution to all of this, is to have 2-3 batteries in your bag. I have a spare one, and for my daily walks it works fine. For trips and weekends it really depends on how many pictures per minute you take. 

One good advice i was given is that if you arent using it too frequently turn it off! and keep it on when the action is near. 

I noticed that when shut off my M10 has more battery drain than my M9, so it must leave more circuits powered in the OFF state. Perhaps this is to allow it to power on faster? The M10 isn't as bad as the Sony A7, which drains batteries quite rapidly when shut off. Best I've seen is the Fuji X100S, which can sit in a drawer for months without noticeable discharge.

My battery only has the second charge behind it, so it had a portrait shoot last Wednesday (about 90 minutes in which the camera was switched on continuously). Yesterday we went on vacation, where I took photos for about 1-1.5 hours and today on a tour again for almost an hour. In addition, there is always a family photo and the battery is 40% (98% of the time I take pictures with the rangefinder). I only took 200 pictures, but the camera was on a lot. I think I will get along with 2 batteries for a whole week of vacation without any problems.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb John Miranda:

remains 

Hallo paulsysaus.

oh yes, using the camera is really a pleasure. thanks for the motivating words. maybe it is actually a learning process of power management across the system.

Greetings

Ranug

Just a bit more on relative battery drain when shut off on M10 & M9: We've been going through an extensive house remodel with no time for photography, so I had put charged batteries in both M9&10 and stored away in my kit bag. Because of this thread I just pulled them out and checked battery level after 6 weeks storage. The M9 shows 80% charge, and the M10 40% charge. That's consistent with the behavior I've observed: so the M10 series may have higher drain when shut off.

Of course, most owners don't let the camera sit unused for long periods, so this may not be noticed by most of us.

However, I've also noticed that that spare M10 batteries stored outside the camera also lose charge much faster than M9 batteries, which may be noticed if you don't rotate your spare batteries to use rather than leaving them stored for a non-rainy day.

FWIW, My M10 sat recently for two weeks (unfortunately - I was doing remodeling) I never turn it off, just let it go to sleep.  When I put it away  it had around 80% battery life.  Today when I pulled it out to go do some shooting it had 65% remaining.  I thought that was acceptable!

Admittedly, NOT as good as my Nikon DSLR which seems to be able to sit for months and still have plenty of battery power.

Edited by Mikep996

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your input people ..
The power consumption of my R is still quite high and I still could not determine why this is. In the foreseeable future I will buy a second battery and test whether the power consumption comes from the battery.
Greetings
Ranug

3 hours ago, Ranug said:

Thank you for your input people ..
The power consumption of my R is still quite high and I still could not determine why this is. In the foreseeable future I will buy a second battery and test whether the power consumption comes from the battery.
Greetings
Ranug

Apart from your battery drainage issue, I think it’s wise to have and to carry a second battery... with any modern camera.

Jeff

It's my impression that that my M10-R battery drains faster than the M-10's.  I'm not being scientific about it.

My habits are no different for the two cameras, but at the end of a day's stroll and casual picture-taking, the M-10R's battery seems to have discharged more.

I attribute it to the need for greater image processing demands.

It doesn't concern me; I'm just more attentive to ensuring that the camera is charged before I go out.

• 4 months later...

Hallo. 

For all who are interested. some weeks ago I talked with a vendor in the Leica store here in Vienna about the problem, that the battery from my Leica losses a lot of battery power, when the camera is off. she recommended to purchased a second battery a new one of course. so I did and I charged and drained the battery for some times to bring it in an optimal condition. It was already apparent at the beginning that the new battery lasts longer and loses less power when switched off. The power drain of the older battery is between 15 - 20 %/day and the drain of the new one is between 5-10 % a day. 

so, (very very sad) the camera is on the way to Wetzlar and I am curious when I get it back and if there is a solution.

See you

Ranug

• 11 months later...
On 3/20/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ranug said:

Hallo. 

For all who are interested. some weeks ago I talked with a vendor in the Leica store here in Vienna about the problem, that the battery from my Leica losses a lot of battery power, when the camera is off. she recommended to purchased a second battery a new one of course. so I did and I charged and drained the battery for some times to bring it in an optimal condition. It was already apparent at the beginning that the new battery lasts longer and loses less power when switched off. The power drain of the older battery is between 15 - 20 %/day and the drain of the new one is between 5-10 % a day. 

so, (very very sad) the camera is on the way to Wetzlar and I am curious when I get it back and if there is a solution.

See you  Ranug

I have the similar problem. M10-R - Brand new.

• Fully charged then after 48 pictures it had hit 55%, at around 65 it was into 50% and before 94 it was on 40%. I have preview on 1 sec; I review a few ('did I compose right?' or 'how was the colour?') and a few I did compose in a short moment of Life View - less than 5 secs generally. Worse than my M8 was.
  • Some reviewers say 600 pictures; others at least 300. My M240 battery was great - never needed a second one; never needed to have the charger with me, even for 2 days out.

I'll contact the Store.

• Does the camera really need inspection at Leica?
Edited by Alberti

FWIW, I bought a M10R BP and the battery would not operate the camera for more than 20-30 shots.  I contacted the dealer where I bought it and they advised that they occasionally see a bad "out of the box" Leica battery.  They immediately shipped a replacement batt and it can easily last all day with no trouble at all.  So maybe you just have a bad batt!